RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2013 RX350 - iPod performance

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-13, 12:44 AM
MarkDent
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 RX350 - iPod performance

2013 RX350 & iPod - Yes I know 22,000 songs is a few, but how do I get the remote touch to search in the songs tab, using the A-Z option as these are greyed out and the Lexus system says there are too many songs to recognise to do a voice search. It's an iPod classic 6th generation connected via the Rx's USB port. Does anyone know what is the quantity of songs limit for a voice search? And why are the A-Z button greyed out? - Many thanks
Old 07-21-13, 04:25 AM
Poisson
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A lot of functions are greyed out while the car is in motion. That may be the problem.
Old 07-21-13, 05:32 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have more than 30000 songs, 750 albums and 100+ playlists on my iPod Classic.

The trick on my previous RX as well as my 2013 is for some functions like Album and Artist searching, and if you even want to try any voice recognition things with controlling playlists, you simply need TO WAIT. It takes the truck a short amount of time to find some things, but others like what I mention a lot longer (20+ minutes in my case as I seem to remember) depending on how much you have on the device. I think the RX builds some internal reference or database of some of that information after the iPod is attached... As it's doing it, some control options remain grayed-out as you've found but will eventually appear. My BMW operated the same way, so this is not a unique limitation with Lexus.

If possible, leave your iPod connected to your RX all the time. The RX will build it's internal database when you're not using it, and is smart enough that if you turn your RX off, but leave the iPod attached without disconnecting the cable -- when you turn the RX back on, it does NOT need to rebuild that internal database so all capabilities are available relatively quickly after the Infotainment system gets itself initialized. This works very well for me keeping a dedicated iPod Classic in each of my vehicles, and taking them out only every few weeks to sync with iTunes for bigger updates. For more current tracks I may have, BT Audio works great to grab things from my iPhone that is always in my pocket.
Old 07-22-13, 05:38 PM
MarkDent
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Poisson
A lot of functions are greyed out while the car is in motion. That may be the problem.
I hear what you mean but no the car is stationary
Old 07-22-13, 05:43 PM
MarkDent
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BertL
I have more than 30000 songs, 750 albums and 100+ playlists on my iPod Classic.

The trick on my previous RX as well as my 2013 is for some functions like Album and Artist searching, and if you even want to try any voice recognition things with controlling playlists, you simply need TO WAIT. It takes the truck a short amount of time to find some things, but others like what I mention a lot longer (20+ minutes in my case as I seem to remember) depending on how much you have on the device. I think the RX builds some internal reference or database of some of that information after the iPod is attached... As it's doing it, some control options remain grayed-out as you've found but will eventually appear. My BMW operated the same way, so this is not a unique limitation with Lexus.

If possible, leave your iPod connected to your RX all the time. The RX will build it's internal database when you're not using it, and is smart enough that if you turn your RX off, but leave the iPod attached without disconnecting the cable -- when you turn the RX back on, it does NOT need to rebuild that internal database so all capabilities are available relatively quickly after the Infotainment system gets itself initialized. This works very well for me keeping a dedicated iPod Classic in each of my vehicles, and taking them out only every few weeks to sync with iTunes for bigger updates. For more current tracks I may have, BT Audio works great to grab things from my iPhone that is always in my pocket.
My Classic is attached 24 x 7. Only once have I had access to the A-Z search options and can't remember any distinctive characteristics at that moment that lead to the A-Z being available. I hear your logic. Any idea where one can read the REAL Lexus specs of iPod integration? And many thanks for your efforts
Old 07-22-13, 06:44 PM
BertL

Not all of what I tried to explain is in the manuals, some is from my own experimentation/use, and others perhaps I've picked up from other sources and osmosis ahahaha... sort of an old timer with these RX ...but try this for a start... Pp262-268 http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do...U/pdf/05-1.pdf

I can however get to Artists, Albums for my whole iPod Classic collection on my RX with ML. One other thing... I agree with your previous post, you'll never get voice control to work with the huge library we have -- I can't either. It's too large, and I believe supports my idea that the interace is building some sort of internal table of the info on the IPod for faster access -- along with that it can take minutes to access some of the functions. If I hardwire my iPhone with only 4K songs or a Nano with a few hundred into my RX, access to nearly everything is close to immediate or a minute or so after the Infotainment system has completed it's startup.

Good luck.
Old 07-22-13, 06:56 PM
BertL

FWIW since it could be related to all this... I believe I have a bug in the Infotainment firmware... While I've not yet established an exact pattern to it, if I use my iPod interface playing music just fine, and select another radio or media source while its playing, sometimes, when I go back to try and select iPod again while the truck is still running, the iPod has disappeared and is not accessible from the RX interface. I can make it reappear if I turn the truck off and back on, and only once if I disconnected the IPod from the USB cable and reconnected it while the truck was still running . If I don't do the audio source switch, iPod works fine for me otherwise. I plan to report it when I go in for my 10K service in the next couple of months, as my build was one of the first 2013s off the line with the new head unit, so maybe there is a firmware update of some sort to be applied...
Old 09-12-13, 11:30 AM
BertL

FWIW since it could be related to all this... I believe I have a bug in the Infotainment firmware... While I've not yet established an exact pattern to it, if I use my iPod interface playing music just fine, and select another radio or media source while its playing, sometimes, when I go back to try and select iPod again while the truck is still running, the iPod has disappeared and is not accessible from the RX interface. I can make it reappear if I turn the truck off and back on, and only once if I disconnected the IPod from the USB cable and reconnected it while the truck was still running . If I don't do the audio source switch, iPod works fine for me otherwise. I plan to report it when I go in for my 10K service in the next couple of months, as my build was one of the first 2013s off the line with the new head unit, so maybe there is a firmware update of some sort to be applied...
Sorry to revive an old thread, but just returned from scheduled 1-yr maintenance on my RX and wanted to close-out this problem I documented in July for future reference. Net is, there was a firmware update available, so my head unit was updated under warranty, and my "disappearing iPod" problem I was having is gone. Voila!
...anticipating the inquisitive minds that hang out around this forum, my customer documentation does not provide any specifics on firmware levels or something you could check to see if you have the latest and greatest -- only that an update was applied to my RX. FWIW, my particular 2013 RX450h was one of the first off the line in 2012, so it seems logical in 15 months since it was built, something was updated somewhere in all that code. While I have not done an exhaustive look around the Infotainment & Nav system to see if anything of substance changed, the one little thing I'd swear has been introduced is the buttons on my Nav screen now have black highlights around them, making them pop out more from the rest of the display, vs what I seem to remember as grey or lighter black lines around the buttons before this update ... it could be my imagination I suppose, but for some reason I was drawn to this visual difference over and over on the 30 minute ride home just now so there must be something to it. If I find anything that has changed of real significance, I'll post.
Old 09-16-13, 01:16 AM
MarkDent
Driver School Candidate

Wink

What A Guy....yes I have has the identical problem and thank you for the GREAT news....do you know what version of the update I should be looking for?

I have also installed Prestigious Society products and they certainly work well for bypassing manufacturers lockouts.
Again many thanks
Old 09-16-13, 04:41 AM
BertL

NP. Unfortunately,
Originally Posted by MarkDent
....do you know what version of the update I should be looking for?
...anticipating the inquisitive minds that hang out around this forum, my customer documentation does not provide any specifics on firmware levels or something you could check to see if you have the latest and greatest

Last edited by BertL; 09-16-13 at 04:44 AM. Reason: Restructured response
Old 09-23-13, 02:02 AM
MarkDent
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=BertL;8142263]NP. Unfortunately,

Thanks anyway....I will see what I can find out