LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS430 braking distance and brake pedal feel

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-11, 09:45 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts
Default LS430 braking distance and brake pedal feel

I am curious as to the actual stopping capabilities for our LS430 as well as what is the normal "brake feel" for our cars. I've read that in an early 2001 Car and Driver comparison it came in second to last with 179ft from 70mph. The other cars were MBS430,VWPhaeton,AudiA8L,BMW745i, and JagXJ8. It also came in last for skidpad (0.73). My 01 has new OEM pads in front and 50% on rears. The brake just doesn't have much "bite" and I've been told by my local shop that the Lexus brakes have a somewhat "spongy feel". I might be spoiled as my other driver is a 04 G35 Coupe which stops on a dime. I've also read somewhere that on the initial test drive in 01 the LS430 stopped at 118ft from 60mph which sounds very good. I understand that I'm driving an aircraft carrier and not a sports car. What do you guys think? Is that vague brake feel normal for our cars? My pedal is not very sensitive.

Last edited by Bocatrip; 05-25-11 at 09:54 AM.
Old 05-25-11, 10:31 AM
GLIDESUL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Me and the wife talk about how the ls seems to feel like its going faster when you hit the brakes hard opposed to how our c class stops very well. But then there's a big difference in weight. Momentum is a ******
Old 05-25-11, 11:40 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the stopping is right on the money. It's a very progressive and smooth stopping feel, definitely more than enough for everyday driving. Whenever I drive my grandfather's BMW E60, I feel that the braking is much firmer and grabs harder with less effort (therefore, it feels and probably is stronger). If you guys have ever driven a Prius (my mom has one), then that's the real definition of spongy brakes. I never speed in that car (not that it can go fast anyways) for fear of not being able to stop in time. Brakes don't grab well and stopping motion feels very jerky, dislike....lol.

If I recall correctly, a member on here put on a Brembo BBK that looked absolutely badass. I'll bet that will sharpen up the braking on the LS.
Old 05-25-11, 11:51 AM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Lol, braking distance is not really a mater of the brakes. It wont matter if you put a BBK on your car as it wont decrease braking distance. It will help with brake fade after repetitive hard stops but for average everyday driving with the occasional panic braking a BBK is more for looks.
Old 05-25-11, 11:51 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

For my cars:

LS430 brakes = feel great
Subaru Outback brakes = spoooongy
Old 05-25-11, 11:58 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by HiloDB1
Lol, braking distance is not really a mater of the brakes. It wont matter if you put a BBK on your car as it wont decrease braking distance. It will help with brake fade after repetitive hard stops but for average everyday driving with the occasional panic braking a BBK is more for looks.
Really? I agree with you on the decreased fade part, but I find it hard to believe it won't decrease stopping distance. In a panic full force stop, I think BBK (I'm talking quality rotor/pads upgrade) will definitely help to make it stop shorter. Why else would high performance cars use them if they don't decrease stopping distance?
Old 05-25-11, 12:03 PM
94LSon20
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll agree with you on the spongy feeling. They are very soft compared to most other rides. Our 460 feels like a 7-series compared to the 430. Ive contemplated a front brake upgrade, but will most likely buy braided lines, new pads and slotted rotors (drilled and slotted = not enough surface area and will warp easier in the FL summer rain)

I'll update you once I do the line upgrade
Old 05-25-11, 12:21 PM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CarGuy89
Really? I agree with you on the decreased fade part, but I find it hard to believe it won't decrease stopping distance. In a panic full force stop, I think BBK (I'm talking quality rotor/pads upgrade) will definitely help to make it stop shorter. Why else would high performance cars use them if they don't decrease stopping distance?
If you want better stopping distance buy better tires with more grip. It makes less of a difference especially on cars with ABS.

High performance cars use much larger wheels and tires with more grip to take advantage of the brakes and for brake fade.
Old 05-25-11, 01:04 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

I think the LS brakes are excellent, but I don't race the car and never have to make panic stops from 70 mph.

Car and Driver to a lesser extent, and Road and Track for sure need to do real world evaluations - I'm pretty sure no one buys an LS for a skidpad or high performace motoring.
Old 05-25-11, 01:50 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

If you want better stopping distance buy better tires with more grip. It makes less of a difference especially on cars with ABS.

High performance cars use much larger wheels and tires with more grip to take advantage of the brakes and for brake fade.
Good point, a good set of tires can transform the car.
Old 05-25-11, 02:43 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

I guess one trade off for the less than sensitive brakes is the minimum amount of brake dust I get. Most European cars (BMW, Mercedes, Audi) stop well with heavy brake dust.
Old 05-25-11, 05:03 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

I don't see how changing to different braking systems will do anything. Here's why. Maximum braking (shortest stopping distance) will occur when the wheels are just at the skid braking point where the tires lock up. The anti braking takes you to that point when you do full braking. That point is a function of the cars weight and traction. Changing the calipers will do nothing as long as the anti braking is working.

Changing the tires for better traction will improve the braking. Changing the wheel size will do nothing.

I think the LS430 as got this just right in my book. Don't screw it up. Just my engineering opinion.
Old 05-25-11, 05:18 PM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

While I have no real complaint with the brakes, I would like a little firmer pedal. I have ordered some Stoptech SS brake lines and will put on new OEM pads soon. My question is what else can I do?
Old 05-25-11, 05:20 PM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jayclapp
I don't see how changing to different braking systems will do anything. Here's why. Maximum braking (shortest stopping distance) will occur when the wheels are just at the skid braking point where the tires lock up. The anti braking takes you to that point when you do full braking. That point is a function of the cars weight and traction. Changing the calipers will do nothing as long as the anti braking is working.
Think we covered that already
Changing the tires for better traction will improve the braking.
This too
Changing the wheel size will do nothing.
This assumes you dont change any of the dimensions of the tire that would increase/decrease the contact patch affecting traction.
Old 05-25-11, 06:26 PM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

ok, regardless of widespread fairy tale about ls430 supposing to have spongy feel, real ls430 brake pedal feel is firm and reassuring...
i had by brakes become spongy at some point and hunted the problem down after spending alot of time on it. basically it was down to contaminant from old brake hoses innards collecting inside the caliper pistons.
i had to replace all cylinder seals (there's oem kits for both axles), and install new brake hoses all around (oem).
after that i have very strong and reassuring pedal. high catch as well.

Quick Reply: LS430 braking distance and brake pedal feel