Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Speed VS Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-09, 03:45 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Speed VS Mileage

We've had our 450h for three weeks now and loving it. This past Saturday we went down to FL on I75. Running on cruise mostly at 70 to 75 mph, three people and the back heavily loaded including one Segway, we average 27.5 mpg. We traveled around Green Cove Springs while there with three to four people always on board and 29 and change mpg. One day we went to St Augustine with longer runs around 60mph and got right at 30mpg. A couple of times on two lane roads, I got to really goose it to pass. A big wow from everyone on the instant power.

Coming back up to North GA, we came on state hwy's staying off the interstate but still fully loaded with three people and lots of weight in the back and got 30.4 mpg traveling around 60-65 mph. That route actually was shorter and more straight through and although we had to negotiate a few traffic lights in small towns we still made better time than the interstate and really improved the mileage. Gas was hightest 93 octane.

Overall mileage for the whole trip was 29.4 mpg. For a car of this size and weight plus I drove it normally and didn't try to hyper-mile it, I was really impressed.

With out a doubt, hwy speed above 70 mph was the biggest factor on mileage but it was still good.

The NAV system worked flawlessly, I love it. I did notice something missing that the Magellan had but not that big a deal. No altitude reading. I wonder why as that just comes from the coordinates and would be easy to throw in. If it bothers me, I'll just buy a little altitude gauge for the w/s.

Three times at restaurant parking lots people recognized it as the new RX (h) and gave nice compliments. On the ride down the interstate two 400h models wanted to travel in 'formation' for a while checking it out. Always nice to have it admired .

Last edited by Cruiter; 07-14-09 at 04:00 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 07-14-09, 04:43 AM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by Cruiter
We've had our 450h for three weeks now and loving it. This past Saturday we went down to FL on I75. Running on cruise mostly at 70 to 75 mph, three people and the back heavily loaded including one Segway, we average 27.5 mpg. We traveled around Green Cove Springs while there with three to four people always on board and 29 and change mpg. One day we went to St Augustine with longer runs around 60mph and got right at 30mpg. A couple of times on two lane roads, I got to really goose it to pass. A big wow from everyone on the instant power.

Coming back up to North GA, we came on state hwy's staying off the interstate but still fully loaded with three people and lots of weight in the back and got 30.4 mpg traveling around 60-65 mph. That route actually was shorter and more straight through and although we had to negotiate a few traffic lights in small towns we still made better time than the interstate and really improved the mileage. Gas was hightest 93 octane.

Overall mileage for the whole trip was 29.4 mpg. For a car of this size and weight plus I drove it normally and didn't try to hyper-mile it, I was really impressed.

With out a doubt, hwy speed above 70 mph was the biggest factor on mileage but it was still good.

The NAV system worked flawlessly, I love it. I did notice something missing that the Magellan had but not that big a deal. No altitude reading. I wonder why as that just comes from the coordinates and would be easy to throw in. If it bothers me, I'll just buy a little altitude gauge for the w/s.

Three times at restaurant parking lots people recognized it as the new RX (h) and gave nice compliments. On the ride down the interstate two 400h models wanted to travel in 'formation' for a while checking it out. Always nice to have it admired .
That is great news on the mpg Jim. I can't wait until we take ours on a long trip.

Say, have you been following my thread about the "Past Record" screen for fuel consumption? Do you know how this is suppose to work? rxets just posted an explanation. I guess it makes some sense. Is that the way it is suppose to work. I could not find any such explanation on the Owner's Manual. Thanks in advance for any insight on this.
Old 07-14-09, 06:36 AM
Hal56
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jim--sounds great! Can't wait for mine!
Old 07-14-09, 09:21 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

great story, jim! thx for sharing.
Old 07-14-09, 11:15 AM
Cruiter

Originally Posted by PatsSoxfan
That is great news on the mpg Jim. I can't wait until we take ours on a long trip.

Say, have you been following my thread about the "Past Record" screen for fuel consumption? Do you know how this is suppose to work? rxets just posted an explanation. I guess it makes some sense. Is that the way it is suppose to work. I could not find any such explanation on the Owner's Manual. Thanks in advance for any insight on this.
Pat
I saw that part in the manual and it was sort of confusing. With so many new things to learn I put that part on the back burner. I'd defer to the owners manual or anyone else that is more familiar with that function. Sorry
Old 07-14-09, 11:40 AM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Pat
I saw that part in the manual and it was sort of confusing. With so many new things to learn I put that part on the back burner. I'd defer to the owners manual or anyone else that is more familiar with that function. Sorry
Thanks anyway Jim! I may have the answer as soon as I go home tonight after tennis and try out rxets's explanation. The more I think about it, the more I now believe he is correct. Jim, I forgot to ask you. On your trip, did you drive with the Eco Mode "on" or "off"?

Last edited by PatsSoxfan; 07-14-09 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-14-09, 01:28 PM
Cruiter

Thanks anyway Jim! I may have the answer as soon as I go home tonight after tennis and try out rxets's explanation. The more I think about it, the more I now believe he is correct. Jim, I forgot to ask you. On your trip, did you drive with the Eco Mode "on" or "off"?
On. Because I know me . But I'm trainable with help

For everyone with the FWD like mine and no rails, a side note; At one of my restaurant parking lot conversations with another couple that had a RX 350, the guy at 1st starting mildly digging me that it didn't have rails. Then while parked next to theirs, the wife started praising the uncluttered look and liking it. Now I have no real 1st hand knowledge whether the guy was wanting one and figured that getting along with his wife was the easiest route to ownership or whether he genuinely started liking the cleaner look, but by the end of the conversation he was in total agreement with his wife . Just thought you'd enjoy that tidbit.

Last edited by Cruiter; 07-14-09 at 01:37 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-14-09, 01:45 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

On. Because I know me . But I'm trainable with help

For everyone with the FWD like mine and no rails, a side note; At one of my restaurant parking lot conversations with another couple that had a RX 350, the guy at 1st starting mildly digging me that it didn't have rails. Then while parked next to theirs, the wife started praising the uncluttered look and liking it. Now I have no real 1st hand knowledge whether the guy was wanting one and figured that getting along with his wife was the easiest route to ownership or whether he genuinely started liking the cleaner look, but by the end of the conversation he was in total agreement with his wife . Just thought you'd enjoy that tidbit.
Jim,

I think that the guy quickly realized that if he did not come around to his wife's thinking, he would have had to find a new place to sleep .
Old 07-14-09, 10:17 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Jim, thanks for sharing this great story about your trips. Hybrid is usually great in local and good in Hwy. But, what made me surprised is you got the good MPG while the heavy loads. Wow!

As for the roof rails, I said I preferred to have them. However, after viewing more and more pics, RX without them seems acceptable, too... Maybe one day I'll remove them...
Old 07-14-09, 10:33 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

im usually the guy coming up along side admiring people with the 2010 RX

So far i have seen 1 RX450h to date, but like a bazllion new RXs. Another hit for lexus.

as for the mileage, it is with all cars. the faster you go, the more gas it is going to take to fight that wind. and hybrids generally do better in the city than on the highway where the engine needs to run more.
Old 07-15-09, 04:55 AM
Cruiter

Originally Posted by rxets
Jim, thanks for sharing this great story about your trips. Hybrid is usually great in local and good in Hwy. But, what made me surprised is you got the good MPG while the heavy loads. Wow!

As for the roof rails, I said I preferred to have them. However, after viewing more and more pics, RX without them seems acceptable, too... Maybe one day I'll remove them...
The heavy loads equated to three adults of average size, my Segway w/options approx 145lb, + approx 250 lbs of luggage all stuffed in the rear. The ride and handling was great that way.
Old 07-15-09, 12:53 PM
Cruiter

I tried it today, his explanation works. Basically you have two mpg displays. One that say's avg miles per gallon and one that say's MPG since last fill up. That one you can not zero, it's done when you pop the cap each and every time. The other one you can zero at will. And it's also the one that adds a new bar every time you press it. The whole thing makes sense to me now.
Old 07-15-09, 01:49 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

I tried it today, his explanation works. Basically you have two mpg displays. One that say's avg miles per gallon and one that say's MPG since last fill up. That one you can not zero, it's done when you pop the cap each and every time. The other one you can zero at will. And it's also the one that adds a new bar every time you press it. The whole thing makes sense to me now.
Yes, it does. I just posted on my other thread about it after my wife and I were driving around the city this afternoon. Everything makes sense now. rxets is a "genius". As I stated on the other thread, Lexus did a very poor job of explaining in detail of what all this Past Record means and how it works. I bet that most folks think that by "reset" they mean to clear the Past Record screen on the Navi.
Old 07-18-09, 08:55 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

We just drove for a total of 110 miles today (Interstate and county roads). The gas mileage results are very good. We averaged 31.4 mpg on this trip. That is pretty darn impressive in my opinion. The speed ranged between 55 and 75 mph depending on the type of road (faster on Interstate and slower on county road). I reset it as soon as we pulled out of the garage as we started on the trip.
Old 07-19-09, 12:15 AM
tsmith167
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is that front wheel drive or awd?

Quick Reply: Speed VS Mileage