GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

O2 Sensor Inquiry

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-08, 03:08 AM
Lexinton
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question O2 Sensor Inquiry

Okay, so here's the deal...went to do my emissions test, and failed the damn thing

So this mechanic says that I need to purchase an O2 Sensor, but he's quoting me around $250 for this. Now something don't seem right about that. Since it's the weekend the Lexus dealership parts dept. is closed so I couldn't call them to confirm the pricing. I went on fleabay and found this though...(yeah I know...the link is long....)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-D...spagenameZWD1V

Used the search engine and found some info regarding the matter, but since I'm in an immediate rush and need immediate answers was hoping that I could get help regarding this.

1. My questions are, would be this be the same for a 1993? I assume so much since the engine is still the same, and since it seems as though it's OEM.

2. How many sensors do are cars have? Read 2 or 3, but assumed we had 2. Was gonna order two of these and change them both out and done to be safe.

Lastly...

3. Does anyone have any other websites that are good for ordering these from? Prefer somewhere and a product that others have used and can vouch for. Not too sure about some of these generics so that's why I'd prefer a testimonial about one and the advantage over the Denso one.
Note: HAS TO SHIP TO CANADA!

Thanks!
Old 04-20-08, 07:48 AM
Raph TT
Pole Position

looks like a deal.. let me check my epc to try n match some part numbers
Old 04-20-08, 11:44 AM
Kaiser
Lexus Champion

How many wires are coming out of the O2 sensor you have now? My 93 SC300 had one wire and a two bolt flange. My 94 GS3 looked like the one on ebay I think but it's been a while. My Aristo O2 has 3 wires and a two bolt flange.

The only sensors that have anything to do with controlling fuel are the two closest to the engine. The other two are there just to make sure your cats are there/working.

How did your mechanic diagnosis you need a new O2? Do you have a check engine light?
Old 04-20-08, 03:23 PM
Lexinton
Driver

A few months back the check engine light and TRAC light came on, and I searched on the forum and just had him reset the code. At that time though he told me that I would most likely have to change the O2 sensor. I recently had my whole exhaust redone with new cats, pipping and magnaflow mufflers so I assume that it would have to be the O2 sensors, but that's why I'm trying to figure out which ones.
Old 04-22-08, 12:53 PM
Raph TT
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kaiser
How many wires are coming out of the O2 sensor you have now? My 93 SC300 had one wire and a two bolt flange. My 94 GS3 looked like the one on ebay I think but it's been a while. My Aristo O2 has 3 wires and a two bolt flange.

The only sensors that have anything to do with controlling fuel are the two closest to the engine. The other two are there just to make sure your cats are there/working.

How did your mechanic diagnosis you need a new O2? Do you have a check engine light?

Question: doesnt the o2 sensor come out of the 2 bolt flange?
Old 05-11-08, 06:04 AM
sintox
Driver School Candidate

Lexington,
Did you buy off ebay in the end ? I saw one on ebay but they say it's for 95-and newer. So I guess 93-94 have different O2 sensors.

How do your O2 sensors look like? Please take some pics.

Originally Posted by Lexinton
Okay, so here's the deal...went to do my emissions test, and failed the damn thing

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-D...spagenameZWD1V

Used the search engine and found some info regarding the matter, but since I'm in an immediate rush and need immediate answers was hoping that I could get help regarding this.

1. My questions are, would be this be the same for a 1993? I assume so much since the engine is still the same, and since it seems as though it's OEM.

2. How many sensors do are cars have? Read 2 or 3, but assumed we had 2. Was gonna order two of these and change them both out and done to be safe.

Lastly...

3. Does anyone have any other websites that are good for ordering these from? Prefer somewhere and a product that others have used and can vouch for. Not too sure about some of these generics so that's why I'd prefer a testimonial about one and the advantage over the Denso one.
Note: HAS TO SHIP TO CANADA!

Thanks!
Old 05-13-08, 09:34 AM
sintox
Driver School Candidate

Hi,

Might I ask:
1) Have you ever ordered online: cam gaskets, spark-plugs, O2 sensors, timing belt, valve cover gaskets before? Does it cost much more labor to change both gaskets (left/right, front/rear...) ?

Since I live in Ontario, Canada and shipping from US is at least $21US/item now, I figure I should order many items that I will certainly need in the near future.

I'm sorry for a somewhat newbie question. I'd like to do some maintenance by myself with help of my father this summer on a 94'GS300. Some of the hard part will be done by the garage though.

Have a great afternoon.
oxox
Old 05-13-08, 07:37 PM
Lexinton
Driver

Originally Posted by sintox
Lexington,
Did you buy off ebay in the end ? I saw one on ebay but they say it's for 95-and newer. So I guess 93-94 have different O2 sensors.

How do your O2 sensors look like? Please take some pics.
Hey Sintox...

In regards to the O2 sensors, they ARE different for 93-94 so make sure that you don't purchase any of the ones for 95+. The ones that I eneded up getting were made by Denso, and I puchased them by contacted a vendor that I found on ebay. Gave me a good price too. If you want I can look them up again. Just PM me if you need there contact info.

To check what you need, use the following link:
http://www.densoaftermarket.com/cata....php?part=o2sn

The one I ordered was Denso OE #234-1054

In regards to what they look like, they are one wire and two bolt flange. They look like the following:

Originally Posted by sintox
Hi,

Might I ask:
1) Have you ever ordered online: cam gaskets, spark-plugs, O2 sensors, timing belt, valve cover gaskets before? Does it cost much more labor to change both gaskets (left/right, front/rear...) ?

Since I live in Ontario, Canada and shipping from US is at least $21US/item now, I figure I should order many items that I will certainly need in the near future.

I'm sorry for a somewhat newbie question. I'd like to do some maintenance by myself with help of my father this summer on a 94'GS300. Some of the hard part will be done by the garage though.

Have a great afternoon.
oxox
There are certain things I reccommend ordering online, and others I don't. Simply because you need to be able to see the condition of certain items. Then again, it also depends on where your ordering your items from. Most people on this forum are fairly helpful with suggesting places or vendors but be patient whatever you do. Sometimes it takes a while for a response depending on your question.

Most of the parts that you've mentioned can be ordered online with no issues, just make sure that you check the condition the items are in (i.e new, slightly used, reconditioned, etc.). Remember the general rule of thumb, what you pay for is what you get. If it sounds to good to be true, it usually is.

Our vehicles aren't that hard to work on, and there is a sticky section at the top of the 1st Gen-GS page that has a DIY section that shows how to do a lot of repairs.

Hope this helps, and if nobody has said it yet, welcome to the club! Post some pics of the ride when you can!
Old 05-17-08, 12:44 PM
sintox
Driver School Candidate

Hello Lexinton,

Thank you so much for your reply. I'll look into the site you gave me. I've just noticed that I made a mistake: my car is ES300, not GS (which is your car). I wonder the part-number you gave me still applies. In any case, I'll double-check it later.

I'll post photos of what I'll buy and the installation when I do my maintenance. I always prefer nice color pictures and I guess everyone does the same

oxox