FS: Retrofitted Headlights with M5 Bi-Xenon Projectors

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-07, 09:52 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts
Default FS: Retrofitted Headlights with M5 Bi-Xenon Projectors

PRICE DROP!!!
$650 local pick up cash, $700 shipped & paypal.
Come on guys I know someone wants it! I need moeny to finish up my turbo project. Help me out here! I hope the price drop is enough incentive! I'll let this offer sit for a few days. If there are still no takers after that, I'm going to list it up on ebay.

Well, as the title says. I'm selling one of my old retrofitted set of headlights. I'm actually kinda sad to let it go since it was the first set of lights on my GS. However, I won't sweat it too much becuase I'm making room for a set of Q45 7 lens projectors

I took the lights apart agiain right now to refinish everything. Polish, clean out dust, oils, etc. I'm doing a light repolishing of the outer lens of the headlights to get rid of most the scratches and rock chips. The deep rock chips and scratches cannot be completely removed unless I sand away a very deep layer off the front lens. Anything remaining right now after the light polish is unnoticable unless you look at it from 1-2ft away.

This set has the chrome housings with no green tint. If you want a custom color match/painted black/metaillic/etc, let me know (optional but will cost $80 to send to a body shop). It's open right now so painting will be easy vs. you doing it yourself and taking it apart again. The orange turn signal piece has been cleared out. The projector is out of a BMW M5 and is a Hella Bi-Xenon D2S HID projector. There is a gap between the projector and shroud to create a halo effect. From far away, people will see a round dot in the middle and a circle around the projector. This is the design I used because the GS headlight housing is pretty big and having just two circle dots looks a bit weird. The way this is set up, you have the projector shining down the road as well as having the whole reflector bowl being lit from the reflection inside.

My asking price is $650 local pickup. $700 shipped. No ballasts or bulbs included in that price.

This is quite a bit lower than what I usually sell my other retrofits for because one of the projectors was not aligned properly during the build process. I can't remove it again to realign it because the glue I used is very very strong. It's only slightly off by about 3-4 degrees. It is not noticable unless you drive up close to a wall.

I can include and mount a set of brand new HID ballasts, bulbs, and relay kit for $200. Let me know what K you want your bulbs to be if you chose that option. 4300K, 6000K, 8000K, 12000K, etc... I recommend the 4300K for white and maximum light output, but if you like blue or purple in the light...then choose the other Kelvin ratings.

Pictures below. Feel free to ask any questions.
Car not included

Last edited by JeffTsai; 02-13-07 at 07:46 PM.
Old 02-10-07, 10:23 PM
uplusd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So if I have factory HIDs, would my OEM bulbs fit straight into these housings? Basically I'm wondering if it would be just plug n' play? Would the auto-leveling feature still work? Please provide more info on what would be involved for a car with OEM HIDs.

Thanks
Old 02-10-07, 10:33 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mrurmil
So if I have factory HIDs, would my OEM bulbs fit straight into these housings? Basically I'm wondering if it would be just plug n' play? Would the auto-leveling feature still work? Please provide more info on what would be involved for a car with OEM HIDs.

Thanks

The factory HID setup uses a D2R bulb. It will work in the projector, but it's not recommended because it will reduce light output. The factory ballast should be able to accept both D2S and D2R bulbs. As for the auto level feature, it was not built into this set of HID's so you will not get that fuction with this set. To retain the auto-level, I would have to build another set from scratch using a HID housing with the level motors.
Old 02-10-07, 10:34 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

The installation itself is plug and play. Whether you will retain the auto leveling feature depends on if the retrofited headlight already has that function. If the headlight are the non-HID, you'll lose the auto leveling feature and you'll have that warning light on your instrument cluster.

The OEM bulb will work, just as long as you scratch off the ceramic shield with a razor blade (becareful not to cut yourself), and make a single notch to fit the projectors. Nothing too hard. It's worthwhile if you want bixenons.
Old 02-10-07, 10:47 PM
tuddy
Negative Nancy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you have any other retros that you are willing to let go?
Old 02-11-07, 06:39 AM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much for a set of LX470's? I know you did your parents LX a while back, right?
Old 02-11-07, 07:55 AM
Ny_scrappy
Driver School Candidate

LOL, Damn Jeff making moves already. Never really see M5 retrofits, bump for so mething unique.
Old 02-11-07, 08:08 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

I have a similar setup on my car just haven't wired up the bixenon function yet. And the same thing happened to me too regarding the alignment. I'm sure mine is more noticeable but not to the point where you're like damn that looks bad, but the light output is great.
Old 02-11-07, 09:26 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tuddy
Not at this time. I might later on, but thats a few months off.

Originally Posted by mikevanle
How much for a set of LX470's? I know you did your parents LX a while back, right?
Well, that set of retro is on the LX right now. I can't exactly take the headlights off . I would have to build a new set from scratch if you wanted one.

Originally Posted by KANEDL25
I have a similar setup on my car just haven't wired up the bixenon function yet. And the same thing happened to me too regarding the alignment. I'm sure mine is more noticeable but not to the point where you're like damn that looks bad, but the light output is great.
Yeah, the alignment on the Bosch Bi-xenon projector is pretty tough. There are no alignment marks on the projector so it's kind of a guess and check matter. Other projectors like the Q45, TSX, TL, LS430, and newer projectors have lines or marks on the back to help with aiming. If your aiming is off by up to 5 degrees, it's not noticable on the road at all. Only when you pull up to a wall.
Old 02-11-07, 09:38 AM
milky
Lexus Champion

Good luck with your sale jeff, i know these will go FAST.
Old 02-11-07, 10:49 AM
uplusd
Lexus Test Driver

How much do you charge to retro a set of OEM HID housings to retain auto level?
Old 02-11-07, 02:53 PM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Well, that set of retro is on the LX right now. I can't exactly take the headlights off . I would have to build a new set from scratch if you wanted one.
Do you know what's the downtime on that? Is it possible to send me the set that's on the car now, and I send you my set (you keep that set, and I keep your set). Price? Pm.
Old 02-11-07, 07:20 PM
iamkhanz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GSteg
If the headlight are the non-HID, you'll lose the auto leveling feature and you'll have that warning light on your instrument cluster.

I didn't think the oem lights that were non hid had an auto leveling feature.. I have a 2001 I never noticed it..

jeff did u end up getting the set of q45s that were being sold on here? those will look real nice on your ride..would love to see it.

what brand ballasts are you including for the 200?
Old 02-11-07, 07:34 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Originally Posted by tuddy
Originally Posted by mrurmil
How much do you charge to retro a set of OEM HID housings to retain auto level?
Do you know what's the downtime on that? Is it possible to send me the set that's on the car now, and I send you my set (you keep that set, and I keep your set). Price? Pm.

Guys, Jeff is not a CL vendor and can't do bulk business like you request on our forum or make sales posts like the below (or sell via PM) until he becomes an established business and authorized vendor here. He puts his membership in jeopardy if he does. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/faq...aq_advertising

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
I might later on, but thats a few months off.

I would have to build a new set from scratch if you wanted one.
Let's get the thread back on topic to buying the lights he has here only please.
Old 02-11-07, 08:22 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

So, anyone interested in the set of lights here? lol

A set of headlight housings usually cost about $250 in good condition.
These projectors cost about $250 for a set in good condition.
The BMW shrouds cost $50.

So the rest of that out of my asking price is work/labor time. Trust me, I'm letting go of this set pretty cheap.

If you opt for optional ballast/bulbs, I will include mounting and installation on the housing for $200. I just get the stuff from a HID kit distributor. I'm not sure of the brand but it has a one year warranty on it. I've been using that brand for other retrofits I've done and so far no one has had a problem. Note with this kit, it's everything is brand new and also comes with a relay harenss.

The other options is if you want a set of "lightly used" but in good condition Toyota/Denso ballasts and Philips 4300K bulbs for $250, but there is no wiring harness included. Also, I'm buying it right off of ebay so there's no warranty on it. I can order a relay harness from the HID distributor for $20 and solder the connectors to the Denso ballast so everything will be plug and play.

Last edited by JeffTsai; 02-13-07 at 07:38 PM.

Quick Reply: FS: Retrofitted Headlights with M5 Bi-Xenon Projectors