Wanted Tein Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-04, 08:19 PM
synco357
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wanted Tein Coilovers

Hello,
I`m interested in buying a set of Tein Coilovers for a 98 GS400. If anyone has a set and is willing to sell please email me at: synco357@aol.com
Thanks,
Andre

p.s. Could those who have a set on the vehicle advise me of the best model to get.
Old 03-02-04, 12:52 AM
Dennis-C
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally, I don't have Teins but I've done some extensive research. Get the comfort specs (CS).
Old 03-02-04, 12:58 AM
phluid
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It all depends on what you are looking for as to which is best.. do a search on them and you should be able to find all the info you need and know which type will be best for you..
Old 03-02-04, 01:19 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Wanted Tein Coilovers

Originally posted by synco357
p.s. Could those who have a set on the vehicle advise me of the best model to get.
You will have to elaborate on what your goal is. Any of the Tein will be better than stock in terms on handling. How far you want to take in terms of handling and how much ride quality you want to lose depend on your personal guage. Which is more important? We all want a race car with stock feel (well maybe not everyone ) but that's not going to happen.

So far the 3 dominant Tein systems are HA, Flex, and CS. HAs are stiffest but has tightest handling. CS is the softest but gives up some handling. Flex is kind of in between. They all have pros and cons but only you will know what is important to you. Tein is pretty popular on CL so a search should turn up lots of discussions.

On another note, one of the Tein's advantages is EDFC. If you don't plan to use EDFC, then you also open yourself up to other coilover systems: Bilstein, H & R, JIC, ...

Good luck.
Old 03-02-04, 04:45 AM
synco357
Lead Lap

Default Tein Coilovers

Gents,
Thanks for the quick responce. I have my eyes set on the Flex and CS but just want to get the right one as these are pretty expensive...More research to conduct!
Thanks again,
Andre

Last edited by synco357; 03-02-04 at 04:47 AM.
Old 03-02-04, 06:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

CS more comfort slightly less handling (than Flex)
Flex more handling slightly less comfort (than CS)
Old 03-02-04, 10:04 PM
Neo
The One

Originally posted by bitkahuna
CS more comfort slightly less handling (than Flex)
Flex more handling slightly less comfort (than CS)
I agree except for the slightly. The CS is a capable handling system but the Flex and the stiffer settings will blow away the CS. On the other hand, at stiffest, the CS will still be noticeably more comfortable than the Flex at softest. I was very skeptical when I was told that last statement. I believe it now that I have switched from Flex to CS. For 90% of the street driving, I don't think you will need more than the CS. The nice comfortable ride will make up for the other 10% of the time when you wish you had the Flex.
Old 03-03-04, 08:30 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

It's funny because I don't find the flex that stiff.
Old 03-03-04, 08:50 PM
Neo
The One

Originally posted by bitkahuna
It's funny because I don't find the flex that stiff.
Maybe I drive over too many bumpy roads overhere. Other than that, it comes down to the butt-o-meter.

Most of the time, I was fine with the Flex. Then when I got the CS, I was reminded of how smooth a Lex can be and then I rode in a stock GS the other day. It has been so long I forgot how soft the stock ride could be. Then we went on freeway ramps and took some corners and then it reminded me why I don't have the stock suspension anymore.
Old 03-10-04, 09:49 PM
synco357
Lead Lap

Default tein`s

Gents,
One question....If i get a EDFC and set it at the softest setting while using the Flex that should give me a soft ride but in comparison to the sportline eibach spring and stock struts...how will it be then.
please, I`m willing but need to know before making the wrong decision.
Thanks,
Andre
Old 03-11-04, 09:52 AM
Neo
The One

Default Re: tein`s

Originally posted by synco357
Gents,
One question....If i get a EDFC and set it at the softest setting while using the Flex that should give me a soft ride but in comparison to the sportline eibach spring and stock struts...how will it be then.
please, I`m willing but need to know before making the wrong decision.
Thanks,
Andre
That's a hard questions to answer. I've never been in a car with the "sportline eibach spring and stock struts" that you mentioned so I cannot do a direct comparison. Running Flex at softest will give you a softer ride, but to me not a good ride. I liked the ride quality better near the middle settings although it is a bit stiffer. I found the softest setting too floaty and did not enjoy it at all. I'd rather stay near the middle.

Before I went to CS, my big concern was that it would be even worse than Flex at softest. Luckily, I was wrong. They are engineered differently for different purposes. I've runt CS at stiffest and the ride is still really good. I actually run CS on the stiffer side. There is no float. The ride is smooth almost like stock. The handling is not as good as Flex but here I'd go with the traditional 80/20 rule. You get 80% more ride quality while only losing 20% handling. If you are running Flex softest vs. CS stiffest, I'd even say the rule becomes 98/2. To me the CS is that good. Now if you are comparing to Flex at the stiffer settings, then the handling gap is bigger.

Since I drive somewhat hard (not like other members here ), I don't race the car, I use it on the streets only (no track time yet ), and there is the WAF, the CS fits my needs better.