VIP Style Discuss Lexus VIP and Lexus VIP Styled cars.

Not really VIP, but coilover Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-16, 08:42 AM
howat
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Not really VIP, but coilover Questions

For those wiser and more educated on this topic than I: which of the 2 would you choose, given they are similar in price. Also, what's the "why" behind your selection - if you have the time to explain?

A: used (good condition) cusco coilovers

B: new Megan Racing coilover - Street LP Series

My goals are simple. This is for lower center of gravity, which adds to the visual as well as functional component of the ride. The vehicle is used for daily drivability and NOT for track purposes.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-07-16, 09:08 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

The only time its cooh to buy used Dampers is:
A- There are re-buildable parts readily available for them
B- Thats all u can afford and willing to take risking your hard earned money

New is NEW, You cannot visually determine the condition of a used damper setup....
Old 06-07-16, 01:04 PM
howat
Pole Position

wisdom shared! thx!

Originally Posted by DriftGirl
The only time its cooh to buy used Dampers is:
A- There are re-buildable parts readily available for them
B- Thats all u can afford and willing to take risking your hard earned money

New is NEW, You cannot visually determine the condition of a used damper setup....
Old 06-07-16, 01:36 PM
SonicMotor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed with above.

If it were me, I would personally buy a good rebuildable used set if the deal is good enough, or spring to pay a little more for that good set new.

Megan, Godspeed, D2, Ksport, etc are all fairly solid purchases, but there are definitely coilovers that are worth the extra money, but a lot of it caters to what you're trying to do with your vehicle.

I ran KSPORT's before on my old LS400, and put the car on the ground with 22k/18k spring rates, they rode great, didn't bounce, etc for a great price. if I was going to do it all over again (which sadly I'm not) I would've went with the 326Power or Tanabe Super Low Forms.

Old 06-07-16, 08:08 PM
howat
Pole Position

Excellent! Eyeing some GodSpeed and Megan on eBay ATM. Btw, any vendors on forum sell them? Would rather support a sponsoring vendor....

Originally Posted by SonicMotor
Agreed with above.

If it were me, I would personally buy a good rebuildable used set if the deal is good enough, or spring to pay a little more for that good set new.

Megan, Godspeed, D2, Ksport, etc are all fairly solid purchases, but there are definitely coilovers that are worth the extra money, but a lot of it caters to what you're trying to do with your vehicle.

I ran KSPORT's before on my old LS400, and put the car on the ground with 22k/18k spring rates, they rode great, didn't bounce, etc for a great price. if I was going to do it all over again (which sadly I'm not) I would've went with the 326Power or Tanabe Super Low Forms.

Old 06-08-16, 04:16 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not sure what type of car but I'm assuming they make them for almost all vip platforms...

I've heard a few bad things over the years with megans and therefore I went with BC Racing coilovers which were still really cheap but like $100 more than megans. I rode on BC for about 4.5 years with zero issues and sold the cars and never heard of complaints even from the current owners of both of my old cars.

if it were me I would just buy some BC Racing coilovers and call it a day. I paid like 850$ and $950 for each set for the BC's I had. There was a shop out of FL that was selling them with a really good deal to CL members.

what type of car?
Old 06-09-16, 08:18 AM
howat
Pole Position

Thank you for the great advise, good sir! Been doing tons of CL searches and it appears Megan and BC are from the same factory, thus, eerily similar? Possible to just opt for the Megan suspension?

As to the vehicle type, looking to receive my 95 GS300 in the very near future.

Originally Posted by sojah
not sure what type of car but I'm assuming they make them for almost all vip platforms...

I've heard a few bad things over the years with megans and therefore I went with BC Racing coilovers which were still really cheap but like $100 more than megans. I rode on BC for about 4.5 years with zero issues and sold the cars and never heard of complaints even from the current owners of both of my old cars.

if it were me I would just buy some BC Racing coilovers and call it a day. I paid like 850$ and $950 for each set for the BC's I had. There was a shop out of FL that was selling them with a really good deal to CL members.

what type of car?
Old 06-10-16, 08:02 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I hear this in our industry all the time..."theyre made in the same factory..."

MANY , MANY Things are "MADE" in the same factories...Companies design parts, send specs to build houses to have them mass produced.

The QA process, build materials,build process,etc,etc can be completely different....Even tho they are built in the same factory. Every company has their own build specs.

Dont put too much value into things being "made" in the same factory.

I dont think you'll be disappointed with the Megans. Ive had them on my LS430 for a while
Old 06-11-16, 06:57 AM
howat
Pole Position

Awesome suggestions and that's my plan of execution: to go with the Megan LP.

Thank you much, DriftGirl.

Originally Posted by DriftGirl
I hear this in our industry all the time..."theyre made in the same factory..."

MANY , MANY Things are "MADE" in the same factories...Companies design parts, send specs to build houses to have them mass produced.

The QA process, build materials,build process,etc,etc can be completely different....Even tho they are built in the same factory. Every company has their own build specs.

Dont put too much value into things being "made" in the same factory.

I dont think you'll be disappointed with the Megans. Ive had them on my LS430 for a while