VIP Style Discuss Lexus VIP and Lexus VIP Styled cars.

Warning - Black Pearl sells junk body kits

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-15, 04:19 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Warning - Black Pearl sells junk body kits

I can't believe no one else has mentioned this yet, unless somehow i am the only unlucky person so far.

1. I ordered a complete Black Pearl (BP) body kit through my car shop here in Okinawa Japan. The shop placed the order directly with BP, which is what I preferred so then if anything is wrong the shop will be the ones to speak (in Japanese) to the company BP. BP said it would take 4 weeks.

2. The kit arrived week 5 (Okinawa is like 1-2 days shipping away from BP's shop) since it was made to order and that is how long it took apparently.

3. The kit was missing the led's and the side mirror blinker covers that were all supposed to be included in the order (they were all paid for in full; cash at the time of order). After the shop called them they said 2 more weeks for the missing parts.

4. 3 weeks later the missing parts arrive.

5. After a typhoon and a few nasty weather days the shop goes to do the body kit install. so they finally unwrap everything and set it all out. They noticed there were a few parts that were cracked and chipped and called BP back which said it must have happened in route.

6. The kit was not even close to a direct bolt-on. The shop called BP again and BP said that a heat gun and sander were normal to fit their kits.

7. After a few hours of using a heat gun and sander the shop was able to remove the extra inch of material from the front left side of the front bumper just below the headlight and get it to sit almost flush. The fitment is still not factory new flush like I would prefer but what can you do.

8. The rear bumper seems like it is almost 1/2 inch to narrow and needed lots of heat and stretching to wrap it all around and make it fit.

9. The rear center LED light in the lower rear part of the rear bumper requires cutting of the inner metal bumper bar to fit it.

i just want to say that no where on BP's beautiful website did it say anything about modding and time required to fit their kits. no where did it mention cutting up your metal bumper bar to allow the LED light to sit in. for a reputable company this was some BS. BTW the kit was around $3k for everything on sale and if you add the shipping to the US it would have been $4,000 with the sale price so this was not a budget kit at all, and it was purchased and ordered directly from their company.

there are a ton of knock off's of this kit floating around YAJ and even on UpGarage but i decided to get the real one from the actual company and pay more. now i wish i had saved some money and gone with a knock off version. actually i wish i had picked a more professional company and not these silly suit wearing goons that i met at the Osaka AutoShow who are supposedly the owners of this company. next year i want to give them a piece of my mind and show up with some of my other osaka friends but i digress...

just want to get the word out for anyone considering a kit from BlackPearl. Save your money and the hassle, especially if you live in the US or cannot speak fluent Japanese to argue with them when your order is screwed up. this company is a joke.
Old 05-15-15, 04:23 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Old 05-15-15, 05:05 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe it's because you're running a hellaflush setup.
Old 05-15-15, 06:05 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

what ^ ^ ^ ?

you make no sense homie.
Old 05-15-15, 09:08 PM
happyhood
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

**** that sucks man. thanks for the heads up...

good luck with the install
Old 05-16-15, 02:31 AM
06Ultra
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like they gave you a returned kit. It's easily fixable but, damn they sold you a jac'd up kit at full price. Is the shop gonna try and help with some sort of refund? Is the shop reputable cause, how about if the shop knew they were paying for a damaged kit but charge the customer full price.

Last edited by 06Ultra; 05-16-15 at 02:40 AM.
Old 05-16-15, 06:23 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

damn that sucks man, wouldnt expect that from a whole new kit. but i would have expecting some sort of modification on the rear at least to fit the third brake light.
Old 05-16-15, 05:45 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

the shop doing the work is reputable and seemed really pissed each time they had to contact BP so i don't think they have anything to do with it.

the car shop doing the work obviously in japan says they've done lots of kits over the years from lots of companies and said this one seemed like a lot more work than they have seen in modern years from new kits. they said most these days are like plug and play and this one seemed like it was from a mass produced knock off factory.
Old 05-23-15, 01:15 PM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

does the kit have any BP markings on the inside? I think they sold you a replica

Show a picture of the front bumper

Last edited by Sonic_RC; 05-23-15 at 02:57 PM.
Old 05-23-15, 10:34 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

the front bumper is at the shop waiting to get painted so i can't get a pic right at this moment. where should i ask the shop to look at exactly for a BP logo or markings exactly, somewhere inside the front bumper?? thanks i'm definitely curious to know if i got screwed over.
Old 05-24-15, 12:45 PM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I dont know about BP but most manufacturers put a sticker on the inside of the bumper and lay the resin over it so its permanent. Like these examples

Old 05-24-15, 05:05 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

i saw the kit and looked over it when it was on the ground around the car. i looked it over pretty good but didn't see any such branding. i also wasn't really checking for it, but i think if i had noticed it that i would have noticed it¿ thanks for the pic.
Old 05-25-15, 06:53 PM
nyc80rick
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

ask Juvi22003 I know he got the BP kit for his aristo to see what kind of stampings it has on the insides

Old 05-27-15, 07:33 AM
juvi22003
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Damn i hope i don't have this problem with mine, i still got it wrapped up in plastic sitting at home but i will definitely check it out once i get home. I ordered the front LED light and rear brake light separately and they definitely didn't fit properly gonna need some cutting and shaving.

My car is currently in the shopping getting my air and exhaust installed as soon as its done it will be going to the body shop i will test fit my kit asap and check if the name brand is printed anywhere on the kit
Old 05-27-15, 07:40 AM
juvi22003
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

nyc80rick posted a few of my pics already here is a pic of my front bumper

And the lights didn't fit properly in the bumpers

Quick Reply: Warning - Black Pearl sells junk body kits