VIP Style Discuss Lexus VIP and Lexus VIP Styled cars.

Parking sensors & Full aero

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-14, 07:51 AM
fly_s2k
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking sensors & Full aero

This may be a dumb question, but I wasn't able to search for an answer.

For those running aftermarket JDM bumpers, what do you do with your parking sensors (if your car was equipped with them)? I figure the body shop/painter should be able to transfer them over or fab something up, but I never see that from the builds on here.

Thoughts?
Old 11-12-14, 09:32 AM
brianlin87
Resident JDM Snob

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by fly_s2k
This may be a dumb question, but I wasn't able to search for an answer.

For those running aftermarket JDM bumpers, what do you do with your parking sensors (if your car was equipped with them)? I figure the body shop/painter should be able to transfer them over or fab something up, but I never see that from the builds on here.

Thoughts?
What I did was have them swapped over. Ultimately it really depends on what you want to do - the parking sensors are all wired together behind the bumper and can seamlessly be transferred over to an aftermarket bumper fairly easily.

Seeing your other thread, you wanted to order a Black Pearl bumper - the aggressiveness of the bumper makes it seem like the parking sensors would be complicated to deal with, but it definitely can be done.
Old 11-12-14, 10:21 AM
fly_s2k
Rookie

Originally Posted by brianlin87
What I did was have them swapped over. Ultimately it really depends on what you want to do - the parking sensors are all wired together behind the bumper and can seamlessly be transferred over to an aftermarket bumper fairly easily.

Seeing your other thread, you wanted to order a Black Pearl bumper - the aggressiveness of the bumper makes it seem like the parking sensors would be complicated to deal with, but it definitely can be done.
Thanks for the validation. I ordered the Black Pearl bumpers and do want the functionality of the sensors. Glad you were able to make it work without too much effort.
Old 11-12-14, 04:43 PM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Just putting it out there but depending on the bumper and where the sensors end up positioned you may end up with some problems. Seeing as the sensors are very sensitive they pick up minute objects/protrusions close by. If there is a part of the aero that sticks out around where the sensor is mounted it may constantly be beeping and render the sensor useless. Ive experience some what the effects of this due to the repositioning of my sensors on my K-Break kit.
Old 11-12-14, 04:47 PM
fly_s2k
Rookie

Originally Posted by HiloDB1
Just putting it out there but depending on the bumper and where the sensors end up positioned you may end up with some problems. Seeing as the sensors are very sensitive they pick up minute objects/protrusions close by. If there is a part of the aero that sticks out around where the sensor is mounted it may constantly be beeping and render the sensor useless. Ive experience some what the effects of this due to the repositioning of my sensors on my K-Break kit.
Great tip. Thanks for sharing. I could definitely see this as an oversight on my part...
Old 11-23-14, 05:04 PM
swtjlsy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fly_s2k
Great tip. Thanks for sharing. I could definitely see this as an oversight on my part...
When I install my aero kit it was a easy relocation of making sure they are reinstalled in the same general location
Old 02-02-15, 10:34 AM
empringham
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I think it depends a lot on the kit. As the other member mentioned, BP is very aggressive so it may be hard to align the sensors properly so they retain their functionality.

But at the end of the day, I'm sure it can be done.
Old 03-02-15, 10:15 AM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

So, this means that the sensors can be just glued on the back of the bumper? Without cutting a similar circle like the OEM one?

Has anyone tried it?
Old 03-02-15, 12:04 PM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tHeKiNg911
So, this means that the sensors can be just glued on the back of the bumper? Without cutting a similar circle like the OEM one?

Has anyone tried it?
I dont know how you would glue it onto the bakc of the bumper. The sensor slips through a hole in the bumper and is held in place with a retaining clip from the back. You would need to cut a similar D shaped hole or I guess you could just drill a hole and stick it through. Although with the D shaped hole you wont have to worry about the sensor spinning in the bumper. Not sure if that makes a difference. I cut all my holes to match the factory bumper when I did my kit.
Old 03-02-15, 12:14 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by HiloDB1
I dont know how you would glue it onto the bakc of the bumper. The sensor slips through a hole in the bumper and is held in place with a retaining clip from the back. You would need to cut a similar D shaped hole or I guess you could just drill a hole and stick it through. Although with the D shaped hole you wont have to worry about the sensor spinning in the bumper. Not sure if that makes a difference. I cut all my holes to match the factory bumper when I did my kit.
Ooh, was afraid of hearing that.

My kit is gonna be worth around $6000 just to sit in front me before paint even.
Can these holes be really made perfect?

Do you have pics of your application?
Old 03-02-15, 03:44 PM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Ooh, was afraid of hearing that.

My kit is gonna be worth around $6000 just to sit in front me before paint even.
Can these holes be really made perfect?

Do you have pics of your application?
You can get them pretty close to perfect. I made a template out of metal and used it as a guide for my Dremel. One thing to note is the holes for the center sensors on my 01 was larger than the outer sensors. They are different for whatever reason.

Sorry not sure what kind of pics you are referring to all I have is pics of my car. I never took pics in the process of installing sensors on bumper.
Old 03-02-15, 04:35 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Oh I see.

Yes I was referring to installation and drilling pictures.

So can show us some close ups of your car? And how perfectly they fit?
Old 03-02-15, 05:33 PM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Oh I see.

Yes I was referring to installation and drilling pictures.

So can show us some close ups of your car? And how perfectly they fit?
Ill post a pic later when Im home but the sensor has a flange on the face so you cant see how the hole is cut from the front.

Like this
Old 03-03-15, 02:01 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Nice.

So the red circle that goes around the sensor is already painted right?

And it should just pop off? When the sensor is removed.
Old 03-03-15, 04:51 PM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by red circle.

The sensor is all 1 piece besides the clip in the back that slips on after you put the sensor through the hole on the bumper. The sensors come prepainted AFAIK. I have not seen one for sale that was not already painted.

Quick Reply: Parking sensors & Full aero