VIP Style Discuss Lexus VIP and Lexus VIP Styled cars.

UAS Aero Sport Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-13, 10:59 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default UAS Aero Sport Questions

I'm currently researching/planning out my future air setup and I had some questions:
  • Could one use aftermarket struts (think KYB GR2) with UAS bags, or is it better to just use coilovers as the base strut?
  • If the answer to the above is yes (struts work), are the brackets the same?
  • If I felt the need to replace the struts with something "better" (i.e. going from Megan EZs to PBM, or BC Racing) is it as simple as removing the bags/brackets from the old struts and swapping them over to the new struts, or is there more to it than that?
I'm a bit of a newbie with air, so please be gentle.
Old 12-04-13, 11:02 PM
Dranom
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your better off using coilovers since you just slip on the bags. Swap spring with bags then adjust your height
With regular shocks there's some welding involve
Old 12-05-13, 01:28 AM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dranom
your better off using coilovers since you just slip on the bags. Swap spring with bags then adjust your height
With regular shocks there's some welding involve
Ah, okay, so coilovers are, in a way, more DIY friendly as far as assembly goes. Any word on that bit about "upgrading"?

Last edited by Sc0pe; 12-05-13 at 01:31 AM.
Old 12-05-13, 02:40 AM
geeznuts
Lexus Test Driver

Save money and time and look up Airrex air. Check them out on Facebook an Instagram DIY friendly
Old 12-05-13, 03:15 AM
swtjlsy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It going to cost about the same for Megan with UAS as it would with just buying Air rex. I would rather have a bolt in over rather than a bag slip over.
Old 12-05-13, 07:26 AM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by swtjlsy
It going to cost about the same for Megan with UAS as it would with just buying Air rex. I would rather have a bolt in over rather than a bag slip over.
Checking the prices now, I would have to disagree with you on there (at least for my application). Megan EZs, UAS, and brackets comes out to ~$1500 before shipping, whereas the AirRex struts are ~$2200 before shipping. Price aside, they do look like a pretty solid option, I definitely like that they're coilover-based, though I prefer the flexibility of going full-custom, and that I can slowly piece things together as opposed to putting the money down all at once.
Old 12-05-13, 07:52 AM
Dranom
Lead Lap

How low you gonna ride? If you just want the slammed look when hard parked and air up when rolling then megan/BC slip ons are fine. In regards to PBM the ride isnt that good with bags.
Old 12-05-13, 08:14 AM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dranom
How low you gonna ride? If you just want the slammed look when hard parked and air up when rolling then megan/BC slip ons are fine. In regards to PBM the ride isnt that good with bags.
Pretty much the equivalent of a drop on lowering springs (1.5"-2") depending on the wheels I get. From what I understand, if I want to drive super low, it would make more sense to run Phantom Cups. I just figured I'd throw a random high-quality name out there haha, but thanks for the heads up!
Old 12-05-13, 07:02 PM
AznRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

If you want to do bags over coilovers i highly recommend BC over Megan.
Old 12-05-13, 08:27 PM
swtjlsy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sc0pe
Checking the prices now, I would have to disagree with you on there (at least for my application). Megan EZs, UAS, and brackets comes out to ~$1500 before shipping, whereas the AirRex struts are ~$2200 before shipping. Price aside, they do look like a pretty solid option, I definitely like that they're coilover-based, though I prefer the flexibility of going full-custom, and that I can slowly piece things together as opposed to putting the money down all at once.
I sell this stuff everyday I know what the totals are you are comparing the cheapest way to a more reliable way and better functioning way. I don't know where you get your prices from but they are off a couple hundred. If you choose to purchase pay check to pay check that is your right Megan ez with shipping 699 plus UAS and brackets 1050 add fitting and line $50-75 well that comes to a grand total of $1800. Air Rex is 2350 shipped at retail pricing but they are running holiday specials for most kits so 2150$ just let's say.So $350 is not a lot in the total of spending 2500-3k with Manuels valves. Now air rex and AccuAir will run you 4350 shipped and that includes elevel. So explain to me the point of stating that piecing it together when it will cost you more in the long run.
Old 12-06-13, 07:32 AM
fracmann1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SWT is right.. reliablity is where its at in the end ...
Old 12-07-13, 07:49 AM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by swtjlsy
I sell this stuff everyday I know what the totals are you are comparing the cheapest way to a more reliable way and better functioning way. I don't know where you get your prices from but they are off a couple hundred. If you choose to purchase pay check to pay check that is your right Megan ez with shipping 699 plus UAS and brackets 1050 add fitting and line $50-75 well that comes to a grand total of $1800. Air Rex is 2350 shipped at retail pricing but they are running holiday specials for most kits so 2150$ just let's say.So $350 is not a lot in the total of spending 2500-3k with Manuels valves. Now air rex and AccuAir will run you 4350 shipped and that includes elevel. So explain to me the point of stating that piecing it together when it will cost you more in the long run.
Could you PM me a quote on a 1999 LS400 (struts only) without shipping? Everywhere I'm searching for struts puts them around $2220-2550. My goal was to get coilovers/bags/brackets and Switchspeed for management (BagRiders package), and later upgrade to E-Level. Total for everything (shipped) before E-Level was in the neighborhood of $3200.

Also, just using these as a reference, what are the "top spherical ball top mounts" and how do they add to the overall strut?

Last edited by Sc0pe; 12-07-13 at 09:06 AM.
Old 01-06-14, 12:03 AM
dangtheheo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

adding more questions ----

are there UAS bags for the stock dampers from a 2013/14 GS350? I have an Fsport and wish to retain the AVS. or would I ruin the dampers by slamming the car?

i've also heard UAS bags are superior to other brands... anyone got input on that?
Old 01-06-14, 05:24 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

I've been on the same UAS bags since 2006. They are tough bags.
Old 01-06-14, 05:32 PM
swtjlsy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dangtheheo
adding more questions ----

are there UAS bags for the stock dampers from a 2013/14 GS350? I have an Fsport and wish to retain the AVS. or would I ruin the dampers by slamming the car?

i've also heard UAS bags are superior to other brands... anyone got input on that?
UAS work great for some cars and not so well for others. It really depends on where they are mounted of how much room there. In the LS models they work great since they mount up top and just replace the coils spring. In the orther models it more of a location issue, as of now I don't think UAS has a bag that will fit in the rear spring pocket with out rubbing the sway bar of the 2013-14 GS. UAS is a unverisal Bag I would'nt say they are better than other. A bolt in kit is always better to install since it was designed for that specific vehicle. Most people choose UAS for the price not reliablity, If you bag your Fsport you will loose the AVS function. This is why most who bag the new models don't get this option. Hope this helps

Quick Reply: UAS Aero Sport Questions