VIP Style Discuss Lexus VIP and Lexus VIP Styled cars.

couple questions about air...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-13, 04:37 PM
geeznuts
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ that's how I have mine. My compressor for my house is ran the same way. Moisture builds in the tank not just in the hoses so if you put a trap between the compressor and the tank, you're getting no protection for the manifold and the bags
Old 04-23-13, 08:53 PM
swtjlsy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by YaKuZa_GS
The order should always be.

Compressor > Braided hose > Check Valve > Air Tank > Water trap > VU4/Solenoids Valves > Air bags

The there is no reason to have a water trap between the compressor and tank. The water traps are supposed to protect moisture going to the VU4 manifold.

Here's a installation diagram from Accuair. I'll post up a photo of my setup when I got time later today.
That is our diagram and we recommend you run water trap before the Valve but you can still run your system without it. The area you live in play a huge role in if you will need these for veryday use
Old 08-27-13, 02:05 AM
kalristo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

im getting 1 of each answer...

water traps
before tank and after tank.

i guess ill have to flip a coin.
Old 08-27-13, 03:33 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kalristo
im getting 1 of each answer...

water traps
before tank and after tank.

i guess ill have to flip a coin.
I have them right after the compressors. It catches more water like that. Never had any problem with valves getting gunk in them. Bagged since 2006.
Old 08-28-13, 04:38 PM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Think of it this way.

Air (and moisture) only travel one way in an air ride setup.

Moisture will build up where there is most pressure (the tank). This is why it is crucial to have the traps after the tank and before the valves. Without it, there is no protection from any moisture built in or after the tank leaving the valves vulnerable.

When the compressor is off, its valve is shut thus preventing any moisture going to the compressor. When the compressor turns on, any air or moisture is forced out the lines and to tank. This is why you don't need the trap between the compressor and tank. With that being said be sure to have a drain valve at the bottom of the tank.
Old 09-18-13, 02:56 PM
Riksgs808
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by YaKuZa_GS
Think of it this way.

Air (and moisture) only travel one way in an air ride setup.

Moisture will build up where there is most pressure (the tank). This is why it is crucial to have the traps after the tank and before the valves. Without it, there is no protection from any moisture built in or after the tank leaving the valves vulnerable.

When the compressor is off, its valve is shut thus preventing any moisture going to the compressor. When the compressor turns on, any air or moisture is forced out the lines and to tank. This is why you don't need the trap between the compressor and tank. With that being said be sure to have a drain valve at the bottom of the tank.
I am chimming in waaaaay to late on this topic. Better late than never. Honestly either way you will still funtion. BUT...... Yakuza is right. The traps go after tank before valves. Look at it this way........different scenario but same theory...... when you paint your car it goes compressor-tank-WATER TRAP-spray gun. Why does it go there???? Its to catch all the moisture before it gets to the gun. If not, the moisture will get to the gun and come out the other end mixed with the paint creating that orange peel texture finish on your final paint. No body paint guy in there right mind would ever just put a water trap befor the tank only. Exactly what yakuza said.....valves will be left vulnerable. Hope this helps