VIP Style Discuss Lexus VIP and Lexus VIP Styled cars.

Need HELP with building new wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-13, 07:11 AM
koksik
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need HELP with building new wheels

I need help with choosing right wheels for my new project. I have Lexus IS 2007 on air and I was with my previous set up - Work Euroline 19x9 +30 , 19x10 +25 and was fine, but now I want something really more agressive. Rear had 4.5 inch lip and now is time for more
Im gona do a fender work by widening ( Im thinking about 2 in on rear ). Im looking to get Leon hardiritt ordens or kranze bezreia or kranze vishunu. As it is hard to get them in so agressive setup to have a lot of lip Im thinking to buy a narrow - 8-8.5in wheels and buy a custom lips. But what size I should get to have narrow inside barrels, that after adding custom lip, wheel is not gona be extreme wide ( I think 11-11.5 in total?? )
Is anyone can help me, becouse Im bit confused
Old 02-26-13, 10:43 AM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Why do you say its hard to get them in aggressive offsets? You can get Ordens, Bazreia and Vishunu's in the offsets you need with deep lips. Not to mention you can order Ordens with a step lip. You don't need to go more narrow or get custom barrels. That will just be a headache and end up costing a small fortune.

The offset calculator is your friend
http://1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

So if your current rear setup is 19x10 +25 then go with a 19x12 +0 and it will stick out exactly 2" further than your current setup and giving you the same clearance on the inside.
Old 02-26-13, 11:02 AM
koksik
Lead Lap

Thanks very much for help. See, I dont want order brand new rims, they are "quite" expensive. Im looking to get used ones from japan. So if I go lets say: 19x11 +5 and 19x12 +0 I will have same setup inside, just outside I will have extra 2inches of lip?
Can I calculate size of barrels on wheels if I have just wheel spec?
Old 02-26-13, 11:57 AM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Getting used wheels and buying custom barrels and having them pieced together and refinishing usually will cost about the same as new. Not to mention the custom barrels are a hit or miss when it comes to being able to bolt up with the right amount of holes and proper inner diameter.. Sometimes you have to machine the outside of the spokes to make them fit inside the barrel. Believe me when I say you're asking for a headache.Just find used wheels in a aggressive offset. Maybe check out VRWheels. They have a decent sellection of used JDM wheels that have been rebarreled.
Old 02-26-13, 12:25 PM
koksik
Lead Lap

Thx for help man, I might think before I go forward with this.
I was looking already on vr wheels, but nothing what Im looking for and enough agressive. They have custom lips. Last question - If I will get narrow - 8 in wheels and get custom outside lips from vr - is that gona work?
For exampe 19x8 +41 and then get custom outside lips and make them 19x12?
Sorry for all questions but Im kinda noob in all this measures :/
Old 02-26-13, 12:30 PM
Sonic_RC
Racer

You will have to send them the wheels. Trust me you're opening a can of worms. Anyways I'm done reasoning. GL
Old 02-26-13, 01:19 PM
koksik
Lead Lap

Thanks man for help!
Old 02-26-13, 01:54 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think it can be done, but like mr kuzi said its hit or miss. you may get lucky on the first try.

if you just want to add 2" extra to the outer lip then what you have now, just aim for something with say 2.5" of outer lip then just add 4" wider outer lip at 6.5" total.

have you researched which companies can make outer lips? its been a couple years for me but i recall a company called mc3 i believe that makes custom outer lips. i would find out which companies do this and contact them to see if they can do what you want on the wheels you have selected. they may say no problem, they may say problem and recommend something else. good luck,
Old 02-26-13, 02:06 PM
koksik
Lead Lap

Yes I have companies whitch making custom outer lips. Just want be sure that it is possible.
Old 02-28-13, 08:18 AM
nar8ta
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You really have to know what your doing or your gonna waste money. You have to know the size of the barrels and the size of the lips to totally be sure of the width. (Work Euroline 19x9 +30 , 19x10 +25) I'm not sure if it has a 6 inch barrel with a 3 inch lip, or 6 1/2 in barrel with a 2 1/2 inch lip.

I have been building my wheels and saved money keeping my barrels. My barrels are 6 inches all the way around. I added a 4 inch lips up front and a 5 inch lips in the rear. 6+4= 10 up front, 6+5=11 in the rear.

A friend of mine lost money because he bought a highend wheel and in about three months he decided to get bigger lips front and rear, which caused the over all wheel width to be too wide so he had to sell his barrels for smaller ones. He was have body work done to the car but his barrels were way to big.

Trust me find out the size of lips and barrels prior before you buy anything.

Any yes, Andy at MC3 are incredible to work with for sourcing new parts.

Last edited by nar8ta; 02-28-13 at 08:24 AM.
Old 02-28-13, 08:25 AM
koksik
Lead Lap

Yes I agree. Problem is to find out size of barrels, but thanks for tips!
Old 02-28-13, 09:44 AM
nar8ta
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by koksik
Yes I agree. Problem is to find out size of barrels, but thanks for tips!
If you you know the "exact" size of the lips and you know the overall size of the wheels then is just basic subtraction to figure out the barrels size. Make sure when they measure them it is not including the roll of the lip.
Old 02-28-13, 10:43 AM
Sonic_RC
Racer

As nar8ta stated there are SOOOOO many thing to take into consideration, that it will be nearly impossible to do this without shipping your wheels to the company who has the barrels. I work in a wheel shop and have dealt with many companies who rebuild/refinish/repair wheels. For one you gotta make sure it has the same amount of bolt holes in the same position. Gotta make sure it has a notch cut out for the "L" shape metal stems. Make sure diameter of the disk (face of the wheel) will actually fit into the aftermarket barrel. Just because its a 19" face doesn't mean it will fit into every 19" barrel. If the face diameter is lets say 1-2mm too big your can really scratched up the lip lowering it in. A lot of US made 3 piece wheels usually have like a 2mm gap between the disk and the lip. Most 3 piece japanese wheels there's no gap at all. There's a bunch of other stuff I can think of that I can go on for hours

But really think about really how much are you saving. So lets say you buy some used wheels at a steal like $1k. Then you spend another 1k on 4 inner and outer barrels. Then shipping the wheels to the company for measurements and putting them together. Possibly having to spend more on machining the edge of the faces to make it fit inside the barrel and shipping back to Ireland. I mean how much do you really think you're saving? Not to mention are you making the widebody before or after the wheels are complete? doing the body work before the wheels are done can be a real big no no.

Lips will always come in 0.5" increments

Always measure from inside bead to inside bead. So this photo you can see the wheel is 11"

Measure from the inner part of the flange as shown below on either side (inner/outer).

Last edited by Sonic_RC; 02-28-13 at 10:50 AM.
Old 02-28-13, 03:43 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah sounds like a lot of work,, i was just thinking along the lines of buying a used set of company XYZ wheels, buying a set of wider lips from same said company XYZ, having someone put them back together and voila...

if you are trying to do different all custom shiz, then you are deff increasing your chances for stuff to go wrong.
Old 02-28-13, 07:27 PM
koksik
Lead Lap

Thank You very much guys for this. You really save my but!! I know that is not gona be easy, but at least now I know, that there is many things, whitch can go wrong. I will really think about ordering wheel "in pieces" before.
Thanks again for all info.
And if You only can explain about inner clearance? how this is important when I calculate new wheels

Quick Reply: Need HELP with building new wheels