VIP Style Discuss Lexus VIP and Lexus VIP Styled cars.

Quick AirSuspension Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-11, 03:08 AM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bonafyd
I'm not disagreeing with you but you can ride just as low properly setup bags.
You can preload the bags the same way you can preload coils,also uas sells a smaller/shorter bag which allows you to ride low with a higher psi =firmer..

I drove my LS slammed on bags in NY streets without a problem & drove looow everyday..

Either way OP the final choice is yours you really can't go wrong with either since they both get the job done..
Somewhat true. In order to get anywhere close to the firm ride of actual coil springs your bags would have to be a such a high PSI that it would provide little to no lift. As you would already be close to the max the bag can handle. There is no way around it. Also low to you may not be low to the OP or myself
Old 10-21-11, 08:41 AM
bonafyd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HiloDB1
Somewhat true. In order to get anywhere close to the firm ride of actual coil springs your bags would have to be a such a high PSI that it would provide little to no lift. As you would already be close to the max the bag can handle. There is no way around it. Also low to you may not be low to the OP or myself
You have a point but I was talking about a properly setup hybrid bag over coilover setup which we touched on earlier on in this thread.

The coilover controls dampning & the bag for height/lift..

I myself & alot of guys I know who run hybrid setups have them setup for maximum slammage & the best possible ride.

With a coilover your stuck with the spring rate you buy unless you keep buying springs.
Bags you can alter the spring rate on the fly anytime but again a properly setup hybrid setup system you won't have to.

Cups only give you 1-2 inches of lift tops & your stuck no getting around it since it's predetermined when again you can setup your hybrid system to mimic a cup setup with more flexibility...

If a person gets cups or bags & they're worried about lift they're doing it wrong..

P.S. you know your low & ride low when your on bags and still scrape the undercarriage of your car,yeah you can hit a switch to raise the car but for what??

Scrapes on the under carriage adds character just like paint chips on the front bumper of a daily driven showcar
Old 10-21-11, 10:36 AM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bonafyd
You have a point but I was talking about a properly setup hybrid bag over coilover setup which we touched on earlier on in this thread.

The coilover controls dampning & the bag for height/lift..

I myself & alot of guys I know who run hybrid setups have them setup for maximum slammage & the best possible ride.

With a coilover your stuck with the spring rate you buy unless you keep buying springs.
Bags you can alter the spring rate on the fly anytime but again a properly setup hybrid setup system you won't have to.

Cups only give you 1-2 inches of lift tops & your stuck no getting around it since it's predetermined when again you can setup your hybrid system to mimic a cup setup with more flexibility...

If a person gets cups or bags & they're worried about lift they're doing it wrong..

P.S. you know your low & ride low when your on bags and still scrape the undercarriage of your car,yeah you can hit a switch to raise the car but for what??

Scrapes on the under carriage adds character just like paint chips on the front bumper of a daily driven showcar
I would like to know how you do this.

Last edited by HiloDB1; 10-21-11 at 10:44 AM.
Old 10-21-11, 01:14 PM
bonafyd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by HiloDB1
I would like to know how you do this.
Do What?

If you turn an adjustable dampener to full hard your car will ride like a brick correct?

Now picture a hybrid setup with say a 32way adjustable damper + air in the bags it's not gonna bottom out especially when the bag is preloaded (properly setup)..

Now if you was talking about a standard bag & shock setup that's a different scenario since you wouldn't be able to have a low ride without bottoming out..

I've done coilovers alone good but sucked with obstacles.
Bags & shock nice adjustable height was a plus but the ride was questionable
The hybrid setup the best of both worlds.

Bold world,air runner,k sport & I believe air force didn't manufacturer premade hybrid kits for no reason,there must be an upside to it..
Old 10-21-11, 03:13 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

bags on coil ftw, i love it.
Old 10-21-11, 03:50 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

what's your setup licelsior? any pics?
Old 10-23-11, 03:11 PM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is very informative indeed, keep it up!!!
Old 10-24-11, 06:23 AM
Schnitz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My Ksport setup is a bag on coil from the factory at all 4 corners

I find a little too squishy (strut set at 5 from full stiff) so over the winter I'm going to shorten the strut so I can ride low with more pressure in the bags for a firmer ride.
Old 10-24-11, 11:18 PM
kb91064
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MashinA
Ok so i dont know a whole lot when it comes to air so let me sum up what im tryin to do. Basically im on BCR coils right now and im pretty low...however i have lots of rubbing and cant go a lot of places which is really starting to get annoying. What i want to try and do is get air only in the front, something like bags over my current coilovers, that i can raise for lets say 30 secs at a time only when i need to like get over speed bumps or getting into driveways etc. What are my options and what am i looking at in terms of price? Is this cheaper than going "full air" or not really? Thanks for your help!
Where are you located? Platinum vip manufactures their own cup kit and i've driven in cars with it. The phantom cup has all advantages over bags. keep in mind you will never be stranded if the system fails (which is very rare) I recommend the cup kit to anyone who wants to stay with coil-overs and ride low and need that extra raise if needed.
i also believe that platinum lifetime warraties their cup kit. hit them up..... they're really friendly to talk to about anything u need. ask for kennedy
Old 02-29-12, 01:55 PM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
bags on coil ftw, i love it.
Ok so i thought theres cup kits and full air.... what is bags on coils and this hybrid set up???
Old 02-29-12, 02:12 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Schnitz
My Ksport setup is a bag on coil from the factory at all 4 corners

I find a little too squishy (strut set at 5 from full stiff) so over the winter I'm going to shorten the strut so I can ride low with more pressure in the bags for a firmer ride.
hey you found my old bag pic

those double bellow bags are nice however for my car it was to wide and suffered from rubbing.