VIP Style Discuss Lexus VIP and Lexus VIP Styled cars.

Airbag Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-11, 07:17 PM
the90zkid
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbag Questions.

Whats up guys, i'm looking for a new car this summer, and i'm going for bags. I'm thinking of an 08+ IS350, and 05 GS300. I have a few questions if I can get some help, I'd appreciate it. Question one: When buying the UAS kit, is that all I need, or would I have to change the stock struts and shocks ? Question two: If I get the IS and it's AWD would the bags affect it ? Questions three: Being that I live in NY he winters are harsh and I'd be using it as a DD would bags be the more reliable choice or just coils/springs ? I'm sure I have a few more questions lol, but can't remember them. If someone can help answer then I'd appreciate it
Old 03-28-11, 07:23 AM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Both have their ups and downs, no pun intended lol... Bags are great for being able to raise the car up for driveways, speedbumps, and other obstacles that you may encounter along the way. On the downside they are also higher maintenance and when they blow a bag of fitting, or compressor stops working your stranded on the road with your car laying frame. With coils the ride can be sportier, less likely for technical difficulties, and ride height to be VIP is low, low, low and this will mean you have to be pretty hardcore to drive in any type of city, setting, with bumps and steep driveways
Old 03-28-11, 05:22 PM
V8_Aristo
Bippu

Question one: A basic UAS kit will have everything you need to have a complete running system. It might be really basic, but you can always add on to the system or have UAS build you a custom kit with gauges, digital system, etc. Struts are not necessary, but you will need to replace it sooner than expected with the OEM unit.

Question two: UAS might be able to answer that question for you. They are very helpful, ask for Zack, he's very knowledgeable on their system.

Questions three: Air suspension is the easiest way to change your ride height, but its another system on your car that needs maintenance. Do more research on the matter and ask other members how their system works in winter. I live in Cali and have had my system for over 5 yrs with little problems, maybe a couple of small leaks that was easy to fix.
Old 03-29-11, 04:23 PM
the90zkid
Driver

Thanks guys, i'm still undecided on i'm going with coils or bags, but reliability is a major factor for me. Being a college student, naturally i want something more exciting so i'm hopefully bags won't be such a big problem to maintain.
Old 03-29-11, 04:25 PM
the90zkid
Driver

Originally Posted by V8_Aristo
Question one: A basic UAS kit will have everything you need to have a complete running system. It might be really basic, but you can always add on to the system or have UAS build you a custom kit with gauges, digital system, etc. Struts are not necessary, but you will need to replace it sooner than expected with the OEM unit.

Question two: UAS might be able to answer that question for you. They are very helpful, ask for Zack, he's very knowledgeable on their system.

Questions three: Air suspension is the easiest way to change your ride height, but its another system on your car that needs maintenance. Do more research on the matter and ask other members how their system works in winter. I live in Cali and have had my system for over 5 yrs with little problems, maybe a couple of small leaks that was easy to fix.
How would I get in contact with Zack ?
Old 03-29-11, 05:16 PM
V8_Aristo
Bippu

Originally Posted by the90zkid
How would I get in contact with Zack ?
I don't have his number off hand, just search the web for "Universal Air Suspension".
Old 03-29-11, 11:40 PM
beez43
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lkapimp216
Both have their ups and downs, no pun intended lol... Bags are great for being able to raise the car up for driveways, speedbumps, and other obstacles that you may encounter along the way. On the downside they are also higher maintenance and when they blow a bag of fitting, or compressor stops working your stranded on the road with your car laying frame. With coils the ride can be sportier, less likely for technical difficulties, and ride height to be VIP is low, low, low and this will mean you have to be pretty hardcore to drive in any type of city, setting, with bumps and steep driveways
actually, i had my air for about a year now and I have had ZERO issues... as long as you do your homework and get the job done correctly, it should be fine.. the only maintenance really for your bags is just emptying the water trap every couple of months.. Also, thats why it is good to have 2 compressors in case 1 craps out..