VIP Style Discuss Lexus VIP and Lexus VIP Styled cars.

After getting the BC Coilovers and Wheels

Old 06-17-10, 06:18 AM
cpciv
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After getting the BC Coilovers and Wheels

Asking for information on installation.

After having my BC Coilovers installed at a shop. (should I get them adjusted right there or wait until I receive my wheels and come back?)

When I receive my wheels already mounted and balanced. (Should I take it to a shop to install the wheels or install them myself?)

What should I have done to my car after installation? Alignment (does this affect the rear wheel set-up as far as camber,etc...do you let them know that your rear wheels "won't be aligned"), corner weight, height adjustment for coilovers and drop?, etc..etc...

Not too experienced with suspension adjustments, and technical nuances..etc..etc.. Thanks for the information... I know my questions may be confusing hopefully someone can dicpher them..*LOL*
Old 06-18-10, 02:01 PM
Brandicus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im not entirely sure what your asking... but typically its best to let a shop do the susp/wheel install if your not experienced/not comfortable with that kind of work.

have the wheels/coils put on at the same time, adjust the coils to your desired height, then have an alignment done to your specs... (how do you want the wheels to fit?)

you can have your camber adjusted via the alignment, typically negative numbers are used but you might not need it if you dont have clearance issues. Just make sure your toe is evened out a 0 and you should be cool tire wear wise...

hope that helped alittle
Old 06-20-10, 08:25 AM
RomanTPA
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts

OPTION A:
if you have any kind of experience with wrenches and you have good common sence about how stuff should fit...

1.get suspension
2.get wheel and tires
3.do your research and get alignment correction items
4.install yourself if you have tools
5.drive streight to alignment shop

OPTION B:
if you dont have a clue..

1.put everything in your car
2.drive to a shop and tell them you want that on that and you want alignment
3.come back to get your car couple of days later

hope that helps =)
Old 06-21-10, 08:07 AM
cpciv
Rookie

Thanks for the info!

I was thinking of getting the coilovers installed and set at a predetermined height based on knowing the approximate height of my aftermarket wheels and tires.

Having the fender rolled at the same time also...

Install the wheels and tires myself and then drive to an alignment shop to do the necessary camber or toe adjustments. (I guessing I can change the height of the coilovers myself, right?)
Old 06-21-10, 08:16 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

shouldn't you let the coilovers settle before you align the car?? get an alignment like a week after the install should be better than going straight to the alignment shop.

it sounds like you are not exp with the install so i would send it to a local shop (that you trust) to do the install.
Old 06-21-10, 10:31 AM
RomanTPA
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vwynn
shouldn't you let the coilovers settle before you align the car?? get an alignment like a week after the install should be better than going straight to the alignment shop.

it sounds like you are not exp with the install so i would send it to a local shop (that you trust) to do the install.
you need 2 alignments, one the day of coilovers install and one about 2-3 weeks later
Old 06-21-10, 11:55 AM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 i say get the coilovers on than let them settle for 1 - 2 weeks than an alignment. than you can start adjusting ride height and etc.
Old 06-21-10, 01:19 PM
bonafyd
Lexus Test Driver

^^I agree wait at least a week for the springs to settle before aligning the car.otherwise your just blowing money..
Old 06-25-10, 12:15 PM
ArodDaLob
Lexus Test Driver

i always wait 2-3 weeks before getting an alignment.
Old 06-25-10, 03:41 PM
RomanTPA
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bonafyd
^^I agree wait at least a week for the springs to settle before aligning the car.otherwise your just blowing money..
basic alignment that i seen everywhere is good for unlimited alignments for 6mo, but personally for an additional $50 or so i just get lifetime alignment. i had my 240sx aligned over 20 times. well worth the money for me.

btw, if you lower your car a good bit, by the time you get your first alignment your tires will be toast and you will spend a good $150 per destroyed tire... so just do the math.. ride for 2-3 weeks and destroy your $600+ (and $100+ for installation) set of tires, or just pay ~$70 and do it right..

on a side note, you alignment should be checked and/or set every 6mo

Last edited by RomanTPA; 06-25-10 at 03:46 PM.
Old 06-25-10, 09:26 PM
bonafyd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RomanTPA
basic alignment that i seen everywhere is good for unlimited alignments for 6mo, but personally for an additional $50 or so i just get lifetime alignment. i had my 240sx aligned over 20 times. well worth the money for me.

btw, if you lower your car a good bit, by the time you get your first alignment your tires will be toast and you will spend a good $150 per destroyed tire... so just do the math.. ride for 2-3 weeks and destroy your $600+ (and $100+ for installation) set of tires, or just pay ~$70 and do it right..

on a side note, you alignment should be checked and/or set every 6mo
Whatever works for you bro...i understand your method of thinking but honestley 1-2 weeks without an alignment won't destroy tires unless there's damage to suspension components....i myself would wait until they springs settle but that's just me.
Old 06-25-10, 09:52 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

If you guys need to wait a week or two for an alignment, then you guys aren't installing the suspension correctly.

No need to do multiple alignments either. Tire wear will not be that bad unless you drive 1000 miles within a week.
Old 06-26-10, 12:13 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Coilovers are not like springs... coilover springs have no settlement period unless you are using some of cheap stuff. I'm not aware of any coilovers springs that need time to settle.
Old 06-27-10, 12:26 PM
bonafyd
Lexus Test Driver

^^Bro all springs settle over time that's just the nature of a spring which is part of the coilover setup...brand new cars from the factory springs will settle overtime....unless the spring is made out of bricks they will settle.
Old 06-28-10, 08:47 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Quality springs will do so at such a low rate that you can neglect the effect for the lifetime of the car. If the springs are 'settling' then that's considered sagging. You'd have to have cheap/crappy springs if it's 'settling' half an inch or so initially.

Once you have your new springs on, you can get your car aligned almost immediately. Drive around a bit to make sure the car is resting on its suspension, rather than the tires. No need to drive around for 2 weeks to waste your tires away.