VIP Style Discuss Lexus VIP and Lexus VIP Styled cars.

Need Help Deciding ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-10, 09:16 AM
NVTHSLEX
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Deciding ???

HI

I have been thinking about changing my suspension for a very long time.

I can't seem to decide on what to buy.

All input will be greatly appreciated.

AirRunner TC-5 edition OR Platinum VIP full CUP kit ???
Old 02-02-10, 02:38 PM
d1deuce
Rookie

I'd take the airrunner!!!
Old 02-02-10, 05:35 PM
Spanky
Driver

Go with Airrunner.
Old 02-02-10, 06:57 PM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Air runner ftw!!
Old 02-02-10, 07:02 PM
NVTHSLEX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EN_VY
Air runner ftw!!
Originally Posted by Spanky
Go with Airrunner.
Originally Posted by d1deuce
I'd take the airrunner!!!
Looks like airrunner is in the lead, any specific reason why you would choose airrunner over Platinum CUP kit ?

thanks for the replies
Old 02-02-10, 09:05 PM
[ant]
Lexus Test Driver

Cup kit isnt the same as full on bags. This choice has more to do with personal preference/style than brand vs. brand so to speak

I mean if you enjoy riding low & stiff and have aggressive wheel fitment that you want to keep fairly 'static' most of the time, but want a touch of convenience, go the Cup kit.

If your wheels arent super close to the guards and you dont mind too much about always running around low and flush etc and just want the overall flexibility of different heights for different situations, go the Airrunner..
Old 02-02-10, 09:37 PM
MrExecutiv
Lexus Champion

^^^ ditto. If you're not a fan of driving low all the time then Airrunner is your best option.
Old 02-03-10, 06:31 PM
NVTHSLEX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by [ant]
Cup kit isnt the same as full on bags. This choice has more to do with personal preference/style than brand vs. brand so to speak

I mean if you enjoy riding low & stiff and have aggressive wheel fitment that you want to keep fairly 'static' most of the time, but want a touch of convenience, go the Cup kit.

If your wheels arent super close to the guards and you dont mind too much about always running around low and flush etc and just want the overall flexibility of different heights for different situations, go the Airrunner..
Originally Posted by MrExecutiv
^^^ ditto. If you're not a fan of driving low all the time then Airrunner is your best option.
I don't mind either style (only problem with riding low, is the scraping).

Which of these two systems would be better in terms of reliability, and maintenance ?

thanks again guys for your inputs
Old 02-03-10, 10:47 PM
[ant]
Lexus Test Driver

imho the platinum cup kit seems to be a very good bit of kit that doesnt suffer from leakage problems etc as some other cup kits can. And since you are pretty much just on coilovers 90% of the time then reliability shouldnt be an issue. If you have a leak or problem with tank/lines/etc it just means yours cups wont inflate but you can still drive around in relative ease. If you end up too low you just wind the coilovers up so you can get around until you can afford/get time to fix the problem with the cup system.

the quality of airrunner isnt in question, but it just means that if something does break you are effectively stuck until you fix it (and if this is on the side of the road then it could cause issues!)

but again, it really is sort of personal preference. i prefer my ride low and stiff and predictable, with the ability to just raise a bit for obstacles so i would get cups. but if i had a big bodykit and/or couldnt avoid certain situations/passenger carrying etc i would probably go a full air bag system.
Old 02-04-10, 01:09 AM
NVTHSLEX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by [ant]
imho the platinum cup kit seems to be a very good bit of kit that doesnt suffer from leakage problems etc as some other cup kits can. And since you are pretty much just on coilovers 90% of the time then reliability shouldnt be an issue. If you have a leak or problem with tank/lines/etc it just means yours cups wont inflate but you can still drive around in relative ease. If you end up too low you just wind the coilovers up so you can get around until you can afford/get time to fix the problem with the cup system.

the quality of airrunner isnt in question, but it just means that if something does break you are effectively stuck until you fix it (and if this is on the side of the road then it could cause issues!)

but again, it really is sort of personal preference. i prefer my ride low and stiff and predictable, with the ability to just raise a bit for obstacles so i would get cups. but if i had a big bodykit and/or couldnt avoid certain situations/passenger carrying etc i would probably go a full air bag system.
This info. will help me in my decision. Thank you
Even though there is only small chance of something going wrong with a full air ride suspension (air runner) may be dangerous if an air bag suddenly goes, or put my ride out for a certain amount of days if there was a leak or something as you mentioned. Is something that I would definitely not look forward to after spending that amount of money.

This is a big plus 1 for the cup kit.

I asked Platinum Vip about air in the cups, and I got this answer:
"with our system, it is made to drive aired up. when driving aired up, it is like you were to adjust your coilovers manually." I guess this where the problem of having passengers gets solved. But I do have a lip kit on my GS.
Old 02-05-10, 08:07 PM
NVTHSLEX
Lead Lap

What coilovers would you recommend ?

I am looking for performance and comfort, a 50/50 mix.
Old 02-16-10, 02:10 AM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would go bags. To recommend coils..what car is this for btw? Didn't see it listed
Old 02-21-10, 03:41 PM
NVTHSLEX
Lead Lap

It for lexus gs:

for coilovers I am thinking about JIC VIP, with the platinum vip cup kit.
Old 02-22-10, 01:47 AM
0x21
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

what about bold world? they offer full bags and the cups set up as well.
www.boldworld.co.jp
Old 02-22-10, 04:22 PM
NVTHSLEX
Lead Lap

I was also thinking about bold world.

With air bags, the main reason why I am debating against coilovers. Is that there is a small chance it might leak or 'pop'. Especially while driving, it would not turn out good.

I know with companies like air runner and bold world chances are extremely low that a bag will leak or pop. I guess it is a psychological concern more than anything else. After spending 5K or so on the suspension, I really would not want to worry about maintenance.

As for the bold world cup kit, they are really good. The only thing that is making me lean more towards Platinums' cup kit is that I can drive with air in them for long distances and not only to drive over bumps or inclined driveways.

So with the JIC coilovers, I will set it, to a really low driving height, and drive with air in the cups from Platinum VIP. This will give me an extra 1-1.5 inches in height.

When I park, I will 'air out' the cups in order to have the same look as if I had air bags.

Quick Reply: Need Help Deciding ???