VIP Style Discuss Lexus VIP and Lexus VIP Styled cars.

Wheel Aligment.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-09, 10:46 PM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wheel Aligment.

Dont know if this is the right section, but when it comes to driving low, this is the best sub forum. Well i have ran into an issue. I have air suspension and I like to drive low For my rears, I like for the lip of my 20's to be aligned with the fender. and for the front, to have enough clearance to turn the wheel. But I notice that when I drop it, the wheels sort of cave in. Now I know most everyone here knows what Im talking about. A think camber has something to do with it? Well, using logic, when riding that low, and with the wheels caved in that way, the tires arent not going to be happy. Is there a solution to this? I ran into a probblem the other day where I was driving and as soon as I get out of the freeway, I feel wobbling. I inspect and my right rear rim came of the brakes, taken lugs and studs with it. To my surprise my 2 tires where almost freaking bald!! The front have about 90 % left. So im guessing the wheels caved in have something to do with it? PLease dont make fun of me as this is all new to me. Man driving low is costing me more than I thought it would. Somebody please advise. Also, anyone know a shop in Houston that might take care of it?
Old 10-04-09, 11:14 PM
[ant]
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the wheels "caving in" is Camber. the lower your car goes, the more natural camber it will get.

With air, this is an issue as you say because as you adjust your air suspension you increase your camber and also your alignment goes out of spec. As camber goes up, so also does Toe. toe is the in/out movement of the wheel. So basically when driving along the wheel isnt pointing perfectly forwards, it is pointing inwards or outwards a bit. This kills tyres very fast as you would imagine. With lots of camber comes toe in, so you get a double whammy.

There really is no 'solution' as such. All you can do is get your wheel alignment done at the height that you normally drive it e.g. low down. This means they will set up your camber and toe as evenly as they can at that height. You may need some sort of aftermarket toe arms depending how low/cambered you are at this height.

This means though that when you raise your car up the alignment will change and may wear the tyres more than it should again, but there realy isnt any way to avoid it altogether...
Old 10-05-09, 09:21 AM
j three
Lexus Test Driver

A CL vendor sells what you need. Here you go https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...our-tires.html
Old 10-05-09, 09:21 PM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the replies. Little by little ill get all the info on how its truly supposed to be set up.
Old 10-06-09, 07:26 AM
BLKonBLK98
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by [ant]
All you can do is get your wheel alignment done at the height that you normally drive it e.g. low down.
this.

Originally Posted by j three
A CL vendor sells what you need. Here you go https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...our-tires.html
this will only help at aligned height, once you raise/lower from that point the geometry will change. the other thing to consider is you may need that camber to get the fitment you want but toe should be corrected regardless. this is why they say "pay to play".

are you looking for an alignment shop and/or someone to fix the damage? shoot me a pm.