VIP Style Discuss Lexus VIP and Lexus VIP Styled cars.

Air suspension woes.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-09, 08:57 PM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Air suspension woes.

So I have been bagged on the UAS kit fora few months now. Its pretty cool. Anyways, today I was driving low, and I notice that the car starts scraping as if it was pancaked. I try to raise it but it does nothing. So I get down and see if there are any connection issues. I get to the trunk and I hear a hissing noise. Somehow, one of the lines manages to get a teeny tiny hole in it, which where the air is escaping, and thus, not allowing the tank to fill up. So I have a few questions.
1. I want copper lines, but dont know where to get them.
2. I need to drive the car, but obviously I cant. Only solutions is to cut where the leak is and put the line back into the fitting. The only problem is that its a push on fitting. Is there anyway for me to remove the line from the fitting? Or is it no good.

Thank in advance for replies. Dont know if this is the right section but I know alot of VIP guys are on air.
Old 08-28-09, 10:36 PM
Rides Low
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

push in fitting as in compression or push to connect? are you using 1/4, 3/8, or 1/2 inch lines?

if its a compression (assuming you have some slack on the line), disconnect it, cut it back, reconnect. if its in the middle of the line, cut where it is damaged and get a run connection as a temporary fix
Old 08-29-09, 12:18 AM
bonafyd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Rides Low
push in fitting as in compression or push to connect? are you using 1/4, 3/8, or 1/2 inch lines?

if its a compression (assuming you have some slack on the line), disconnect it, cut it back, reconnect. if its in the middle of the line, cut where it is damaged and get a run connection as a temporary fix
Exactly...this can be done with a PTC fitting also.

Dump the air out before trying anything(don't ask)with PTC you have to push in then pull out to get the line out of the fitting.
Old 08-29-09, 01:45 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Agreed , just cut (after air dump) then like mentioned push in the hose and its collar keeping it there in order to remove the hose . Reinstall new end.

No need to get copper , but i do keep an extra 20 feet coil and cutter in the trunk as you never know.
Old 08-29-09, 07:19 AM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Whats a PTC fitting? My air is all out anyways. I had to drive home SLAMMED like @ 3mph. Im using 1/4 lines btw. Thanks for all replies. skperformance, should the fitting come our easily or do I need to apply force?
Old 08-29-09, 08:01 AM
bonafyd
Lexus Test Driver

Push To Connect fitting....the collar is the part i marked below just push it in with the line then pull out and the line will come out.
Old 08-29-09, 08:08 AM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

I just checked it, and it does come out. I feel so stupid. I wish I would have known that yesterday, as I endend up cutting the line at the very tip of the fitting. Keep in mind this was me in the middle of the street while it was raining. I got a little desperate and just cut the line
Attached Thumbnails Air suspension woes.-photo-91.jpg  
Old 08-29-09, 08:13 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just grab a pair of pliers and pull it out.
Old 08-29-09, 08:26 AM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Its impossible. I just went thru a box to find out I have an extra one!!! I really appreciate the help guys. I have love for youall (no homo). CL is my family. My question still remains, Where can I get coper lines? Come to think about it, I have another issue maybe some of you experts can help me with. So I basically have 2 lines coming from the tank. One goes to the front which divides the air, and the other one for the rear, which also splits the air beteween right and left. I have fbss. My prob it that it wont raise evenly. For example, I can press the back switches for it to come up, and the left rear side will come up maybe 1/2 second befor the right rear side. I wonder if the lines have to be dead even in length??
Old 08-29-09, 09:43 AM
BLKonBLK98
Lexus Test Driver

you can get copper line from home depot, lowes, etc. grab a bender and pipe cutter while you're there.

the delay is due to unequal length lines.
Old 08-29-09, 05:25 PM
phillygs3

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just wrap your 1/4 lines with 1/2 line , this way if your line gets snagged it will protect it. I have a friend that works on big rigs and he told me that trick , he is always replacing air brake lines and he said thats the best solution for snags. plus you may want to change the 1/4 lines to 3/8 because 1/4 lines are not reinforced like 3/8 or 1/2
Old 08-29-09, 11:54 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

glad you know for next time with any road side repairs.
Now always keep spares in the car and it will never happen again to need them.
Old 09-14-09, 07:19 PM
vipjason
Lead Lap

dammm that sucks
Old 09-14-09, 09:39 PM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Its all fixed now, I know have an emergency kit,lol. It consists of pliers, 2 extra fittings, a knife, and 6 feet of extra line.
Old 09-15-09, 02:28 PM
lightwave76
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EN_VY
I just checked it, and it does come out. I feel so stupid. I wish I would have known that yesterday, as I endend up cutting the line at the very tip of the fitting. Keep in mind this was me in the middle of the street while it was raining. I got a little desperate and just cut the line
just take a torch, heat up the line and pull it out.

Quick Reply: Air suspension woes.