VIP Style Discuss Lexus VIP and Lexus VIP Styled cars.

Vip air runner questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-10, 11:44 AM
3GS404
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great write up.. really helpful for any body want to get into the air ride world..
Old 04-08-10, 03:23 PM
br1ank
Rookie

Blk on Blk, my compliments... Excellent description of each. thanks

Old 04-13-10, 07:57 AM
Boyscout
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Roberuta has a very nice set up. it attaches to the top of your existing shock/spring setup, but only allows for a couple inches of movement.

http://www.fictrading.com/roberuta/rbhome1.htm

Last edited by Boyscout; 04-13-10 at 08:01 AM.
Old 04-13-10, 08:45 AM
NVTHSLEX
Lead Lap

^^^

The cup system is good, for riding low, and then raising for going up incline driveways or speed bumps. It is not recommended to ride those cups with air in them.

There is also the Phantom VIP cup kit, which allows you to ride the cup kit with air in them. You can set the coilovers to the lowest possible setting, then ride 'air up' in the cups. Then when you park you can release the air, giving a mimic of a VIP slammed car with air bags.

If you go for a full set up of the Platinum cup kit (full= front+ rear), you would have to go to Platinum VIP in California, in order for them to do the rear modification (2nd gen. GS). I am not sure if it applies to other models.
Old 04-13-10, 09:46 AM
duby1
Lexus Test Driver

^^ great write up and break down on the 3 type of air suspensions. BLKonBLK98

I was going to get the cupkit as well, but i got no response from Platinum VIP. I tried calling them and also messaging them on the forums as well. i'm sure they are busy and i do understand that. Since i couldn't get their 2 cents for the phantom cupkit. I ended up going with UAS suspensions. (Currently, being installed) Since they input me on everything.

In the future, i will probably go over to the phantom cupkit. since it has a life-time warranty on it.

NVTHSLEX,
what did you ended up getting or still deciding?
Old 04-13-10, 10:03 AM
beez43
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

air runners all the way!!! omg i cant live life without it.. the ride is so damn smooth and my has times changed... paying the price of a decent used car to upgrade suspension.. i have all aftermarket components and love the way the electric valves operate.. Sorry but Im not a fan of the pshh noise completely filling up the cabin from the manual valves and they are a little too slow for me.. the 3/8 lines are perfect for me and i can adjust how quick i drop with the slowdowns attached to the manifold..
Old 04-13-10, 11:32 AM
NVTHSLEX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by duby1
^^ great write up and break down on the 3 type of air suspensions. BLKonBLK98

I was going to get the cupkit as well, but i got no response from Platinum VIP. I tried calling them and also messaging them on the forums as well. i'm sure they are busy and i do understand that. Since i couldn't get their 2 cents for the phantom cupkit. I ended up going with UAS suspensions. (Currently, being installed) Since they input me on everything.

In the future, i will probably go over to the phantom cupkit. since it has a life-time warranty on it.

NVTHSLEX,
what did you ended up getting or still deciding?

UAS is also really good, now that their new brackets will help make the rubbing issues for the 2nd gen. GS a thing of the past...

I will be going with the airrunner original kit, I was going for the TC-5 edition, but found out that the air sleeves are rated exactly the same (2000 lbs). So IMO there was no point spending an extra grand for the TC-5 difference.

The difference with the TC-5 is that it can have more of a coilover feel.

I thought the TC-5 air bags would be rated higher, to hold more horsepower.

And along with the airrunner kit, I am gettin the digital dakota display, and a 2nd compressor. This would help fill the air tank quicker, so it would not be as slow.

And I will also get the TRD blue swap bars front and rear, to give it the sportier handling, which would IMO compensate for the TC-5 edition of airrunner.

Old 04-13-10, 01:32 PM
duby1
Lexus Test Driver

Air runners... great stuff man.

Mind if i ask how much you paid for it?
Old 04-13-10, 02:14 PM
NVTHSLEX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by duby1
Air runners... great stuff man.

Mind if i ask how much you paid for it?

Airrunner FTW

For the price, sent a pm
Old 04-13-10, 03:44 PM
BLKonBLK98
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Boyscout
Roberuta has a very nice set up. it attaches to the top of your existing shock/spring setup, but only allows for a couple inches of movement.

http://www.fictrading.com/roberuta/rbhome1.htm
roberuta is the original (bold world, top secret, and skipper use roberuta cups). from what i've heard the build quality isn't what you would expect at the price point.

Originally Posted by NVTHSLEX
^^^

The cup system is good, for riding low, and then raising for going up incline driveways or speed bumps. It is not recommended to ride those cups with air in them.

There is also the Phantom VIP cup kit, which allows you to ride the cup kit with air in them. You can set the coilovers to the lowest possible setting, then ride 'air up' in the cups. Then when you park you can release the air, giving a mimic of a VIP slammed car with air bags.

If you go for a full set up of the Platinum cup kit (full= front+ rear), you would have to go to Platinum VIP in California, in order for them to do the rear modification (2nd gen. GS). I am not sure if it applies to other models.
all cup systems are copies of the same design and are meant to do 1 thing 1 way.

platinum is marketing them as "able to be driven inflated" because they are trying to make money in a market accustomed to airbags. if you ask them how to set it up they will tell you to set your ride height deflated. their guarantee is, however, a testimony to their faith in the quality of their product.

cups are meant for lifting, not lowering, regardless of who makes them.
Old 04-13-10, 07:02 PM
NVTHSLEX
Lead Lap

BLKonBLK98

Your write up on the comparision was really informative, and

the clarification on the purpose and use of the 'CUP kit'
Old 04-13-10, 08:21 PM
BLKonBLK98
Lexus Test Driver

no problem.

on a side note: the real benefit of the tc-5 system is the dampers. the in car adjustability is pretty cool imo, and more necessary when dealing with air (since damping should be adjusted in relationship to spring rate, or psi in this case) than with spring suspensions.

you don't really need a bag with a higher psi rating for firmer handling (150psi is enough), you need the "sweet spot" to be at a lower ride height.

if ar put together the tc5 and otg technology they'd have a serious system on their hands (but i'd still take cups).
Old 04-13-10, 09:59 PM
NVTHSLEX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BLKonBLK98
no problem.

on a side note: the real benefit of the tc-5 system is the dampers. the in car adjustability is pretty cool imo, and more necessary when dealing with air (since damping should be adjusted in relationship to spring rate, or psi in this case) than with spring suspensions.

you don't really need a bag with a higher psi rating for firmer handling (150psi is enough), you need the "sweet spot" to be at a lower ride height.

if ar put together the tc5 and otg technology they'd have a serious system on their hands (but i'd still take cups).
I wonder how much that kit would cost from Airrunner OTG w/ TC-5...

Why would you choose cups over air ?

And what do you think about the original airrunner kit ?

thanks
Old 04-14-10, 08:09 AM
BLKonBLK98
Lexus Test Driver

i'm sure if you COULD get tc5 + otg, the price would makke you think twice. lol.

i prefer cups because, honestly, i prefer coilovers. i like to drive as low as possible at ALL times and a firm suspension goes hand in hand with that. cups are an addition that allows me to keep my suspension the way i like it but provide clearance when necessary.

airrunner is a great product IF it fits your needs. like i said, x psi will always = y height, so if you are ok with riding at whatever height the sweet spot is at and parking low or comprimising the sweet spot to ride at your desired height then it's all good. for me personally it's a bad fit, not to mention i feel you could do more with your money going any other route (coils + cups, coils + uas, etc.).
Old 04-14-10, 10:07 AM
NVTHSLEX
Lead Lap

Yea for driving low, its good to have the cup kit.

For me, I like to keep the paint on the lip kit as free from scrapes as much as possible. In my area, the roads are unpredictable, especially after winter.

I really like the look of a slammed car when parked.

I thought about coils + bags from UAS, and since it has the new brackets it is just as good as airrunner.

Can you mention some pros and cons about UAS compared to Airrunner ?

thanks

Quick Reply: Vip air runner questions