VIP Style Discuss Lexus VIP and Lexus VIP Styled cars.

Watch-out for Shine Auto Project

Old 12-21-07, 10:50 AM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

its sad when people pretend to be ballers with nice cars that they bought for like $2000 and then put a fake kit and think they are "the ****"

/rant

Same thing as a real and fake LV wallet. My friend has a fake one and i can already tell. I have a real one and its the pride of having a real one knowing its genuine.

Some people dont feel this pride i guess with their cars and they feel that knockoff is fine. I wouldnt let rotas touch my 1990 accord. NEVER. Ill keep the OEM stockies
Old 12-25-07, 06:30 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it all comes down to fit. good fit = good kit. bad fit = bad kit.

Take for example with suits. I'd rather have a no name FULLY CUSTOM TAILORED suit than a OFF THE SHELF brand name Armani suit. Some of you will never understand and that's good, otherwise the marketing and advertising industry would be out of business.

it's all in the install, a bodyshop can screw up a great brand name kit!

Last edited by mikemareen; 12-25-07 at 06:50 PM.
Old 12-25-07, 07:51 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemareen
it all comes down to fit. good fit = good kit. bad fit = bad kit.

Take for example with suits. I'd rather have a no name FULLY CUSTOM TAILORED suit than a OFF THE SHELF brand name Armani suit. Some of you will never understand and that's good, otherwise the marketing and advertising industry would be out of business.

it's all in the install, a bodyshop can screw up a great brand name kit!
I would rather have a fully custom tailored suit too than an off the shelf armani. However, in this case, it would be an off the shelf armani and an off the shelf knock off armani. No name brand vs brand name is something else. The issue that bothers me is when companies make exact style kits and make money off of the real deal. Sure knock off kits are less expensive but from an enthusiasts standpoint, the last thing we want are the authentic companies going under while we get flooded with knock off parts. You don't have to be rich to mod your car the right way, you just have to know how to save your money a lot .
Old 12-25-07, 08:25 PM
timywong
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my only problem is that if they made such good copies that fit well, why cant they just make subtle changes or something to make it their own. lol but i guess its the same with like the iphone, its easier to reverse engineer something and remake it than designing something from scratch.
Old 12-25-07, 10:43 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

You missed my point.

Originally Posted by mEx_lEx
I would rather have a fully custom tailored suit too than an off the shelf armani. However, in this case, it would be an off the shelf armani and an off the shelf knock off armani. No name brand vs brand name is something else. The issue that bothers me is when companies make exact style kits and make money off of the real deal. Sure knock off kits are less expensive but from an enthusiasts standpoint, the last thing we want are the authentic companies going under while we get flooded with knock off parts. You don't have to be rich to mod your car the right way, you just have to know how to save your money a lot .
Old 12-26-07, 12:54 PM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Both companies are in it for profit. It's just business. Replicas will always be around (unless there are more stringent laws towards design patents). Maybe both of them should just consider a joint venture. One in charge of design and the other in charge of manufacturing.
Old 12-26-07, 03:39 PM
V8_Aristo
Bippu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You missed my point.
Maybe he did. but if you want to compare it that way. Then a fully tailored suit would be like a fully custom bodykit built from scratch. And a good fitting knockoff would be like a fake Armani suit that has been altered to fit you better.
Old 12-26-07, 05:49 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

Uhhh, there are no fake armani suits. You can only make a 1 button, 2 button, 3 button single breasted, 2/4, 2/6 double breasted suits in so many ways.

this analogy is not supposed to be taken literally.

I'm talking about price points, quality and fit. you can get a heavily marketed "trendy" brand name suit for 800 bucks, or you can get a no name FULLY TAILORED CUSTOM suit for 500-600 bucks, and even cheaper over-seas.

Originally Posted by V8_Aristo
Maybe he did. but if you want to compare it that way. Then a fully tailored suit would be like a fully custom bodykit built from scratch. And a good fitting knockoff would be like a fake Armani suit that has been altered to fit you better.
Old 12-26-07, 06:43 PM
V8_Aristo
Bippu

Uhhh, there are no fake armani suits. You can only make a 1 button, 2 button, 3 button single breasted, 2/4, 2/6 double breasted suits in so many ways.

this analogy is not supposed to be taken literally.

I'm talking about price points, quality and fit. you can get a heavily marketed "trendy" brand name suit for 800 bucks, or you can get a no name FULLY TAILORED CUSTOM suit for 500-600 bucks, and even cheaper over-seas.
Your point is, that you can get a knockoff, take it to a good installer and have everything thing fit better than the original. But you really can't compare it with suits since as you said it's made to have a generic design or style. A bodykit design is unique to the original manufacturer and is totally opposite of a suit that is meant to follow a certain way of being made.

I didn't take your analogy literally, I was just going by what you were trying to explain. Having a fully tailored suit, is like going to a custom shop w/ a picture of a JP kit and telling them to build it from scratch. Which is more expensive than just buying a JP kit. Having an installer make it fit better is not the same as having it made from scratch.
Old 12-26-07, 10:36 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

now we both know a body shop can only do so much with a piece of crap kit.

just like a piece of crap body shop can also take a great kit and **** it all up.

Originally Posted by V8_Aristo
Your point is, that you can get a knockoff, take it to a good installer and have everything thing fit better than the original. Having an installer make it fit better is not the same as having it made from scratch.
Old 12-26-07, 10:49 PM
V8_Aristo
Bippu

I think that depends on how much money you are willing to spend to make it fit. Obviously, paying more than the the cost of buying the original doesn't make sense. But with enough time, money and effort, anything can be made to fit good.

now we both know a body shop can only do so much with a piece of crap kit.

just like a piece of crap body shop can also take a great kit and **** it all up.
Old 12-27-07, 04:36 AM
Balling
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chrispy
People are always saying the real thing is higher quality and fits better than the knockoff. What if it was the other way around? Choosing to pay less for a better product seems like a no brainer to me. Only downside is not supporting the company that designed the kit.
you know, ive never seen that way
Ive had:
Uras
Origin
BN sports
BWAVE
Wald
Insurance

i have NEVER had a problem with ANYTHING fitting PERFECT. 3/4 of them came predrilled, and fit perfect.
THe wald needed elongation of 4 holes....4 HOLES!!!!

you pay for quality. and i dont mind doing it
Old 12-27-07, 11:47 AM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Basically we need to support the people creating the real deal. If it wasnt for them then we wouldnt have our selection. It is companies like shine that take business away from the companies that create the product.
Old 01-04-08, 12:59 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

If you can't afford to buy the real deal, then try to find a kit used. I got my genuine Vertex kit for $900
Old 01-04-08, 03:16 AM
VipDout
19x11.5 -51

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
If you can't afford to buy the real deal, then try to find a kit used. I got my genuine Vertex kit for $900
I got a used Vertex "Styled", from a Cl member parting out parts for $350.00 + pick up...or was looking at a k-break kit for 3200.00 + to pioneer ? for the US or buy the cheaper one it

even as good as oem filament, slipped on like a glove..

I am not about buying fake products at all but if the price is that good + fits great already ????.. I'd do it again if I have the chance ... I personally don't like the sides and rear but love the front ... but saving over 2500+ made me not worry to much .. needed something new for a show ... and I'm still happy..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Watch-out for Shine Auto Project