VIP Style Discuss Lexus VIP and Lexus VIP Styled cars.

Is the media killing VIP style as we know it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-07, 08:52 PM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

....VIP is changing even over in Japan. Now you see more Dub style and EXE style than ever. Many cars in those magazines are running one piece, no lip, conservative offsets. It seems like those crazy fendered, super stretched, and negative offset wheels are not as popular. Heck, I even have an add from VIPCAR with a CL Benz with the title, I AM VIP.... So, who's right and who's wrong.

Last edited by MrMark; 12-11-07 at 05:42 AM.
Old 12-10-07, 10:19 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MrMark
So, who's right and who's wrong.
HAHA yep, in 1997 i was living in Nagoya, my friend there would take me around all the time in his vip benz, little crystal chandalier, crush velvet int. color changing lites on his c-pillar int., flared body kit, rims... the whole 9 yards and he was no poser either since he... well... was a chimpira in xxxxx-gumi. Remember now this is 1997, before most in the west even heard of drifting much less vip.

Now jump to 2007, i see 'occidentals' posting in forums how benz is not a vip platform... uh huh... So whos right? the guy in japan? or the guy in the west? The answer is... its all a matter of perspective/location. The japanese guys want western stuff, the occidentals want japanese stuff. Why isnt more benz vip'd then... its a matter of the cost of the base car for them, you mod the car you can afford thus JDM cars.

hmm... i think i just repeated myself from a earlier post...
Old 12-11-07, 08:58 AM
V8_Aristo
Bippu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, Benz's are in the same category as the S13 and R32 that was in the original topic?
Old 12-11-07, 12:36 PM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who said that?
Old 12-11-07, 01:20 PM
Saiji
Lexus Champion

Wow...that is stooopid. S13 and R32 a VIP...lol Whats next? A Civic Vip?

Also, Benz IS considered a VIP. Junction produce has a S500 and they are also using BMW, 7 series as a VIP also. If you take a look at the newest VIP Style magazine, there's a clean Benzo.
Old 12-11-07, 01:45 PM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah ah, there is a difference between Vip and Vip styling. That's where it's hardest to define.

Yes, there are civics that have been Vip inspired. Does it look ridiculous? I think so.

Mercedes is the only accepted company that most Vip companies choose to dress up. You don't see any others. AND it's mostly the S-class, hence the flagship car reference, yet again.
Old 12-11-07, 02:35 PM
V8_Aristo
Bippu

Originally Posted by Caoboy
Who said that?
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing, because this topic started out with articles on S13 and R32 being called VIP and then went to Benz's.
Old 12-11-07, 09:21 PM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

I brought up Benz because I saw a Japanese VIP company advertising in a Japanese VIP magazine (VIPCAR) and the title of the add was "I AM VIP" utilizing a CL Benz in the ad.

My point is that the rules and guidelines are blurred....even in Japan where a lot of the diehards view as the "gold standard” of all things VIP.

Even one of the original VIP companies that prided itself as a VIP company now makes kits for the Harrier, G35 coupe, Murano, and Mazda CX-7......
Old 12-11-07, 10:22 PM
LexFather

Okay can someone clarify this for me.
My thoughts were VIP meant VIP car+ VIP styling. As in GS and above type cars (big body) and VIP style.

VIP styling is non VIP car, like an ES or IS + VIP style.

Please help. I mean even the team VIP here means "Very Important Person" lol...
Old 12-11-07, 10:47 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

The traditional VIP car is in fact, a large four door "Japanese" sedan with certain key characteristics that define it as VIP.

Correct, you can VIP "style" your car to mimic or be inspired by a true VIP sedan which is VIP style as it is called, but cannot be considered a real VIP by traditional standards.

This thread is getting confusing. If it doesn't say Micro Machines...it's not the real thing. lol

Last edited by flipside909; 12-11-07 at 10:51 PM.
Old 12-12-07, 05:23 AM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

There have been several articles on the subject.....here's one:

http://www.highsocietyvip.com/vipstyle.html
Old 12-12-07, 10:21 AM
V8_Aristo
Bippu

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Okay can someone clarify this for me.
My thoughts were VIP meant VIP car+ VIP styling. As in GS and above type cars (big body) and VIP style.

VIP styling is non VIP car, like an ES or IS + VIP style.

Please help. I mean even the team VIP here means "Very Important Person" lol...
Well, VIP took on a different meaning in Japan when it came to a particular type of car styling. It's actually not even pronounced with separate letters, Japanese say it as a word. Most people in the US say "bippu", but i think in Japan it's pronounced more like "bhip".

I think as far as "style" is concerned, it will be the media and whoever else decides to call their car "VIP". Since it's the latest term to come out in Japan, it will be used and abused just like the rest.

I am not a purist as much as some people think, it's just that I haven't seen a non platform live up to the style (here in the US). Just like those articles in my original post, IMO, it doesn't even look anything like VIPstyle. The US market have always associated style with brand names and I think it's no different with customizing a car. People pays too much attention to what brand it is and not enough attention to how it's going to look overall.

Here's a few pics of what I think are good examples of non platform VIPstyle. All of these are from Indonesia.

Asian Market Toyota Camry

Mitsubishi Galant

Old 01-26-08, 11:59 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

funny stuff