Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

winter tires ? on a FWD

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-15, 06:21 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts
Default winter tires ? on a FWD

Ok, so I am thinking this winter I will be in Utah for the winter. And I am working upon one of the mountains. Sometimes I can take the shuttle but sometimes I will probably be driving up and down the mountain.

SO I have my 07 ES350, and I know I can drive in snow I know how to drive in the winter months I grew up in the snow.

But the only reason I am thinking of getting Winter tires is because of the ice traction I would want better ice and snow traction for the mountain. If it weren't for the mountain I would feel fine with my All season M+S tires I have now.

My question is for those of you who drive your ES350 in deep snow or find yourself up in slippery areas more like Utah CO ID MT MN area do you have a specific winter tire you like better?
I was thinking about the Micheline X-ic 3.

also can I get just two snow winter tires and put them on the front drive wheels ?.

I seem to remember when I was younger my father had an RWD Lincoln town car or something like that, and he would put two snow tires on the rear wheels but not on the front.

So I am wondering if this is a hazardous, dangerous issue if I only put them on the front wheels do I need to put them on all 4? Even though there are only two drive wheels?

thanks .
Old 10-18-15, 07:34 PM
slawek65
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
Ok, so I am thinking this winter I will be in Utah for the winter. And I am working upon one of the mountains. Sometimes I can take the shuttle but sometimes I will probably be driving up and down the mountain.

SO I have my 07 ES350, and I know I can drive in snow I know how to drive in the winter months I grew up in the snow.

But the only reason I am thinking of getting Winter tires is because of the ice traction I would want better ice and snow traction for the mountain. If it weren't for the mountain I would feel fine with my All season M+S tires I have now.

My question is for those of you who drive your ES350 in deep snow or find yourself up in slippery areas more like Utah CO ID MT MN area do you have a specific winter tire you like better?
I was thinking about the Micheline X-ic 3.

also can I get just two snow winter tires and put them on the front drive wheels ?.

I seem to remember when I was younger my father had an RWD Lincoln town car or something like that, and he would put two snow tires on the rear wheels but not on the front.

So I am wondering if this is a hazardous, dangerous issue if I only put them on the front wheels do I need to put them on all 4? Even though there are only two drive wheels?

thanks .
When You have ice and snow don't think only traction. IF You have traction then You have to stop and then winter tires come to play .I recommended set of 4 winter tires. I am sure guys from Tire rack can give You more details how this work but with only 2 winter tires on front You can put Yourself in to danger. In short if You hit brakes with only front winter tires rear of the car can slide all over the place because rear tires have less grip then front. So I recommended 4 winter tires. BTW I live in Chicago and always have set of winter tires for all my cars front or all wheels drive. Hope this help before TireRack people chime in.
Old 10-25-15, 09:53 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Ah ok i understand now.
I ussualy get Micheline tires. the problem now that i come into is thinking what inexspensvie winter tires. i was looking costco has micheline X-ice winter snow and ice tires i can get a set of 4 for like 600 after tax and moutning. and rebates.
but since i don't even know where i will be or if i will have somewhere to put the tires after winter is over. i would rather find somewhere to just spend like 400 dollars on 4 cheap winter tires this would be a installed price. any ideas ?

Originally Posted by slawek65
When You have ice and snow don't think only traction. IF You have traction then You have to stop and then winter tires come to play .I recommended set of 4 winter tires. I am sure guys from Tire rack can give You more details how this work but with only 2 winter tires on front You can put Yourself in to danger. In short if You hit brakes with only front winter tires rear of the car can slide all over the place because rear tires have less grip then front. So I recommended 4 winter tires. BTW I live in Chicago and always have set of winter tires for all my cars front or all wheels drive. Hope this help before TireRack people chime in.