Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Best Summer-Only Tire For Mostly Highway, but Some Sport?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-15, 10:08 AM
Ahheck01
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best Summer-Only Tire For Mostly Highway, but Some Sport?

I have an '02 GS430 with minor suspension upgrades (slightly stiffer/lower springs, slightly stiffer shocks to match, upgraded sway bars, poly bushings.

I've got alignment in factory spec, as I'm very much mostly a highway cruiser. That said, I do like to push the car every now and then, and predictable, reasonably grippy tires are a must. I LOVE Michelin SS's, but I don't know that it makes sense for a guy who drives 20k miles a summer to use tires that are worn out in 15-20k miles.

So what is the best compromise of grippy and quiet tires that will last a good bit longer for highway cruising? Brands I've enjoyed historically are Michelin and Continental. I also miss the General Exclaim UHP's that I ran about a decade ago.
Old 03-11-15, 11:27 AM
Theo@TireRack.com
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you drop down to a slightly lower performance category, like an ultra-high performance summer tire, you would sacrifice a little sport, but you would have increased treadlife. My top recommendation would be the BFGoodrich Sport Comp-2 or the Dunlop Direzza DZ102. Both are very sporty, but would last a little longer than the Michelin.

Old 03-11-15, 11:41 AM
Ahheck01
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Theo@TireRack.com
If you drop down to a slightly lower performance category, like an ultra-high performance summer tire, you would sacrifice a little sport, but you would have increased treadlife. My top recommendation would be the BFGoodrich Sport Comp-2 or the Dunlop Direzza DZ102. Both are very sporty, but would last a little longer than the Michelin.

How do they compare to the Michelin's as far as noise?
Old 03-11-15, 02:55 PM
Theo@TireRack.com
Former Sponsor

Neither of them are quite as quiet. The Michelins basically set the standard for noise quality in performance summer tires. They're not noisy, but not as quiet as the Michelins.

Old 03-11-15, 03:09 PM
Ahheck01
Pit Crew

Neither of them are quite as quiet. The Michelins basically set the standard for noise quality in performance summer tires. They're not noisy, but not as quiet as the Michelins.

I hoped the compromise I could make for longer tread life would be in side-wall stiffness / grip, rather than noise. Would there be a recommendation that fits that mold better?
Old 03-11-15, 09:10 PM
lsiberian
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure they are a good investment for an Iowa native. I think it would be like me buying winter tires in Texas. Kuhmo and Michelin are both good options IMO.
Old 03-12-15, 08:41 AM
Theo@TireRack.com
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ahheck01
I hoped the compromise I could make for longer tread life would be in side-wall stiffness / grip, rather than noise. Would there be a recommendation that fits that mold better?
Keeping with the summer-only stipulation, there isn't anything that fits your criteria. The PSS is basically the quietest summer tire on the market. The DW is up there too, but you won't get as much life. If you could switch to an ultra-high performance all-season tire, I could find you something. Also, to confirm, are you looking at 25/45R17 tires?

Old 03-12-15, 09:44 AM
Ahheck01
Pit Crew

Keeping with the summer-only stipulation, there isn't anything that fits your criteria. The PSS is basically the quietest summer tire on the market. The DW is up there too, but you won't get as much life. If you could switch to an ultra-high performance all-season tire, I could find you something. Also, to confirm, are you looking at 25/45R17 tires?

Was thinking either 235's or 245's. I've got 17x8's on now, and am on the hunt for 18x8's, so it'll be one of the two diameters
Old 03-12-15, 12:53 PM
Theo@TireRack.com
Former Sponsor

You could always go with the Goodyear Eagle Sport AS or Continental ExtremeContact DWS. They're both ultra-high performance all-season tires, so they won't handle as well or have the grip of the PSS. They will last considerably longer, and they're very close as far as noise quality goes. I had the Goodyears on a WRX and the Continentals on an E430, and I thought the Goodyears were quieter.

Old 03-13-15, 11:15 AM
Ahheck01
Pit Crew

What would general ballpark tread life be for the:

Continental ExtremeContact DWS
Goodyear Eagle Sport All-Season (W-Speed Rated)
Continental ExtremeContact DW
Old 03-13-15, 03:01 PM
Theo@TireRack.com
Former Sponsor

That's a dangerous question. Treadlife varies a lot based on driving style, road material, vehicle, rotation, etc. etc. etc. That being said, I'll still give you ballpark estimates. The DWS and the Eagle have 50k mile treadlife warranties, so that's a general idea on those. The DW does not have a treadlife warranty, but you could expect 20k-25k miles or so. I hope this helps.