Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Michelin Primacy MXMV4 VS Pirelli CINTURATO P7 ALL SEASON PLUS

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-14, 09:50 AM
Hulk311
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Michelin Primacy MXMV4 VS Pirelli CINTURATO P7 ALL SEASON PLUS

Looks like Michelin has stopped making the Primacy MXV4 and replaced it with the Premier A/S. According to the Tire Rack the Pirelli CINTURATO P7 ALL SEASON PLUS tires are ranked number one. Does anyone here have any experience with the Pirelli CINTURATO P7 ALL SEASON PLUS tires on your car? Keep in mind that I am talking about the Pirelli CINTURATO P7 ALL SEASON PLUS and not the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season or Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Run Flat tires. Also, just would like to point out that the Michelin Primacy MXV4 and the Energy MXV4 are totally different tires. You would be surprised how many people on other forums get the two MXV4 tires mixed up and say that the (Primacy) MXV4 are the worst tires they have ever owned, not knowing that they own the Energy version!

I'm looking to purchase the 215/60R16 95H version of the P7 tire. I'm mostly concerned with noise and how comfortable the ride is.
Old 12-15-14, 01:19 PM
AJ@TireRack.com
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Hulk, thank you for the post.

I was part of the testing when we compared the Michelin Premier back to back with the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus. When I drove on both in the wet on our test track, the Pirelli made me think twice about them. While they ride amazingly well on the dry and on the highway, they were not so great in the wet. Traction control seemed to kick on in our BMW's nearly any time I took a corner.

If you were in Arizona and didn't care too much about wet weather traction, I would say go for it. In Michigan, not so much.

You can read the report on the tire test here.

I understand our survey's seem to speak otherwise, but I hope my experience is helpful.

-AJ
Old 01-21-15, 08:38 PM
milecino
Driver School Candidate

Default All Season vs All Season Plus

What is the difference between Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season and All Season Plus?
Old 02-18-15, 07:55 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Welllllllllll ironically the report is very positive regarding the P7s......If the traction control came on in most all cornering u guys should have mentioned that in your review vs saying under improvements that u would moderately improve wet traction..........Its very cool to give your honest opinion to the OP and I dont doubt you at all but i will say this. I purchased the P7s ...all season plus......for my Lexus LS430. What I wanted for my big sedan was smooth and quiet.....the guys at Tire Rack said to go with the P7s and I am glad that I did. From everything that I have read the P7s are pretty much the smoothest and quietest tires for my car. As for the Mich MXV4s and Premier A/S ....well looks like the Premiers are going to dominate the scene for a while......but it is noted that they are noisy on certain pavement and expansion joints......but have many many other strengths consistent performance even when worn and good wet traction..............

I have rambled on a long way to just say........it just depends what u want out of your tire......
smooth and quiet?
Performance?
Wet traction?

Figure out what u want most out of your tire then make your decision.
Old 02-19-15, 05:22 AM
Theo@TireRack.com
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by milecino
What is the difference between Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season and All Season Plus?
The "plus" designation in any of Pirelli's products indicates that it is not used as original equipment on any vehicle. This allows Pirelli to tune the tire exactly how they think it should be, not how the vehicle manufacturers want. Just as a general rule, if you have both versions of the tire available to you, always go with the Plus.
Old 03-14-15, 04:43 AM
kevinfor
Driver School Candidate

I have a 99 GS400 and I'm trying to decide between the P7 All Season Plus & the Premier A/S .. The Most important factors for me are 1) wet handling 2) Road Noise 3) tread life /fuel - we get a ton of rain in the Northwest & I don't really drive in snow but need an "all season tire"

based on the Test Reports ... I'm leaning towards the Premier A/S - The Problem is my Car uses 225/55R -16 on OEM Stock Chrome Rims... and I see this specific size is not available.. (I avoided 17" when I got the car because I was told 16 had smoother ride /less noise & longer tread life..).

I am wondering if I could actually use 215/60R16 (plus 0) instead of the 225 without any modifications /new Rims or would this leave a gap or width be too small (speedometer off / screw up ABS Brakes / VSC (skid control) or what the trade offs would be using.. 225/65R16 225/55R17. or another tire size... (what would give a smoother ride 225/65 215/60 etc or should I go Plus 2) I am also seeing the same tire sizes with different speed rating (92V & 92H 130/149mph) how does this compare with road noise/ wet handling... if I never drive over 80mph on the freeway...

also one of my rims the chrome is starting to chip off on the inside - so the tire needs to be pumped up every 2 weeks or so... (losing air between the rim & the side of the tire) one of the dealers said they could "seal" the tire but the long term fix is to have it re-dipped/chromed ... so my question is going with a 215 or a different side tire help resolve this issue.. (the other alternative is to run 3 chrome wheels & 1 alloy spare but that looks horrible

Last edited by kevinfor; 03-14-15 at 05:40 AM.
Old 03-14-15, 06:21 AM
Theo@TireRack.com
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can use a 215/60R16 with no problems. Switching all 4 tires to that size won't throw off any vehicle systems that are based on tire rotational speed. The speedometer will be changed by a little over 1%, which is negligible. That would likely give you a slightly softer ride than stock, but will feel less sporty in the handling department.

225/65R16 is going to be way too tall for the vehicle at 27.5" tall. 225/55R17 is pretty tall, too, and it would require you to purchase new wheels, as well. For your GS400, I wouldn't recommend dropping below a V speed rating. That's the minimum we would sell for/install on your car, and you may have difficulty finding another shop to do so as well.

Lastly, changing tires or tire sizes isn't going to permanently fix the leak. If the chrome is flaking off the bead seat area, then the bead of the tire isn't sealing properly and therefore won't hold air. If they seal it, it will likely hold air for a while, but it will only be temporary. You will need to either have the wheel re-chromed or replace it with a new one.

Old 04-12-15, 04:58 PM
ma61
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Also trying to decide between the P7 and the Premiers.

I really wanted the Primacy MXV4, but with so few of them left I wouldnt want to run into availability issues down the road in case I need a replacement tire.

My main concern is ride quality and noise. I have read a couple opinions from people that the Premiers dont take bumps as nice as the MXV4, so thats what lead me to start looking at the P7.
Old 05-17-15, 07:12 AM
ma61
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Still havent been able to decide, anyone else out there have an opinion on this comparison?
Old 05-17-15, 10:27 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Why not get them through Discount tire and drive on them? If you're unsatisfied, they will let you return them or change tires.
Old 08-30-15, 11:47 AM
semar
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default michelins vs pirelli

ole semar is in limbo.
Before taking the "new" 430 on the road I wanted to sell the 88 735i, mint condition.
Just before i could put it on the lot a young driver with a Ford 150 backed into the front fender and put a dent the size of a hand in it.
Now the insurance company is contemplating to write the car off.
Are they kidding?