Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Best tires for 2008 IS250?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-14, 11:27 AM
junior818
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best tires for 2008 IS250?

I took my car in for maintenance and I was told my front tires needed to be replaced. They said they would match my back tires which are Bridgestone Turanza ER 33 225/40/r18,. I asked how much it would cost and they said it would be $597.00 for the tires, and $99.99 to mount them. I've been looking online and I have seen a lot of negative reviews about ER 33 tires. So I was wondering if there is something cheaper and better I could use? $700 to buy and put on new tires seems like a lot, so I figured I should at least ask around. Also I am not exactly sure what model my IS250 is, but I know it isn't AWD. I guess just a tire the same size as Bridgestone Turanza ER 33, that are better and cheaper.

Last edited by junior818; 12-09-14 at 11:31 AM.
Old 12-09-14, 11:46 AM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$700 is cheap, but you are right that they are terrible tires and break traction easily. I got the Pilot Super Sports, but it was around $1200 for a set of four mounted with accident warranty.

Bridgestone - Potenza RE760 Sport are better and slightly cheaper. You aren't going to get great tires for $600, but they will be decent. I personally always notice what tires are on cars and I have even seen some very cheap all season tires on some ISX50.
Old 12-09-14, 12:04 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fin...omeSection.do&
Old 12-09-14, 12:30 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by darkdream
$700 is cheap, but you are right that they are terrible tires and break traction easily. I got the Pilot Super Sports, but it was around $1200 for a set of four mounted with accident warranty.

Bridgestone - Potenza RE760 Sport are better and slightly cheaper. You aren't going to get great tires for $600, but they will be decent. I personally always notice what tires are on cars and I have even seen some very cheap all season tires on some ISX50.
OP got priced for 2 tires.....$700 for two of those POS ain't cheap
Old 12-09-14, 01:34 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Hankook v12 (new version) offers excellent performance with very good price.
Old 12-09-14, 01:42 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by reyoasian
OP got priced for 2 tires.....$700 for two of those POS ain't cheap
I overlooked that part of the OP. Never go to the dealership for tires. Get PSS for under $600 for the rears.
Old 12-10-14, 02:03 PM
jv6792
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on the re760.. great tires for $600 for all 4.. they ride quiet and are pretty grippy like the v12s
Old 12-10-14, 04:00 PM
mrAkana
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OP, are you saying they would match the rear size 225/40R18 or is that what would be installed on the front? For RWD factory is 225/40R18 front and 255/40R18 rear.

Discount Tire Co. (America's Tire in parts of CA) would be the best place to buy the tires and they also price match.

The RE760 is a great summer tire but you could do better w/o it. I would suggest spending a couple hundred more and get all 4 tires replaced if you could manage that. On most RWD I always suggest in no particular order; Hankook V12, Goodyear A/S, Continental DW, Michelin A/S3 and perhaps Yokohama YK580. These are just the front sizes listed below to get you started.

Front 225/40R18
Hankook V12

Goodyear Eagle F1

Continental DW

Michelin A/S3

Yokohama YK580

I have tried all of these tires and are currently using a set of them, so I'd be glad to give an informed opinion if you need one.

Cheers!

Last edited by mrAkana; 12-10-14 at 04:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Biren (02-05-23)
Old 12-10-14, 05:10 PM
xhackr
Rookie

Originally Posted by mrAkana
On most RWD I always suggest in no particular order; Hankook V12, Goodyear A/S, Continental DW, Michelin A/S3 and perhaps Yokohama YK580. These are just the front sizes listed below to get you started.

Front 225/40R18
Hankook V12

Goodyear Eagle F1

Continental DW

Michelin A/S3

Yokohama YK580

I have tried all of these tires and are currently using a set of them, so I'd be glad to give an informed opinion if you need one.

Cheers!
If you would, please detail your experience with those... putting treadwear and noise as a priority.
Old 12-10-14, 05:30 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

ER33
Old 12-11-14, 01:18 AM
mrAkana
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by xhackr
If you would, please detail your experience with those... putting treadwear and noise as a priority.
Sure thing! Please keep in mind I only had these on factory specs 225/40 and 255/40 factory wheels. Over the past few years I used to work for DTC and tested new tires pushing them beyond from a daily driver role.

Current set up
Mich A/S3 - This is by far the best set I've had on the IS in the rain and dry(will snow soon). The turn in is fluid, that's an understatement but 14k miles later I'm still aggressive on corners(country or freeway)as these tires leave a wide footprint which means I know I'll make it through a turn. The tire is extremely responsive in either direction, from a launch with VFC and TC off you will hook up every single time as I've tried to break traction over asphalt and brick at different angles. As of this week we've had a good amount of rain, on my commute to/from WA speed limit is 60mph but with these tires I'm confident to stay at 65-70mph in 2"-3" of standing water on multiple parts of the freeway, especially on uphill and downhill transition. The factory sipping hasn't failed me yet as I haven't experienced hydroplaning or an oh crap moment in these conditions and I know for sure these tires just pierce right through it.

As for treadwear, brand new I measured 10/32nds and as of tonight I'm at 8/32nds with 14k on the clock(hoping for 30k). As for road noise, I actually turn off my radio to hear almost nothing and just cruise on my 30 min commute when it's dry. I can honestly say with confidence, that michelin tire was made for performance with luxury at the center.

Yes, they cost a bit more but they're definitely worth it if you travel the distance like I do and carve corners. FYI, I did pick up a nail in the center about 2k miles in but that repair hasn't stopped me from my habits.

Goodyear Eagle F1
Sidewall! Whether it's this or the asymmetrical tire from Goodyear, they have a solid sidewall which I am a fan of. They have a more dense carcass but when you need stability, it's on all the time. The flip side to this would be the road noise, as I wore them down from 11/32 to 6/32 they get extremely loud and pick up all kinds of junk on the road. Overall they're a good AS set if you can grab them. I had put 30k on before I replaced them and these are my 2nd favorite because of dry and wet traction per WA conditions.

Continental DW
Since you live in Florida, this should be your ideal setup since the environment is dry. In the rain, you'll have traction up until the dry limit of the tire as the factory sipping does not do a great job of channeling out the water. As for the dry traction, it's phenomenal since the compound is really soft and you can hammer down on your corner exit like a bat out of hell. They also make a DWS but I do not suggest that not even to my worse enemy as I've broke traction in rain all the time. You'll get good amount of life from this tire, I'd say 20k before you want a something new. The noise level is very apparent but tolerable on long drives.

I hope this helps and feel free to PM me if you need further opinions. OP, apologies for taking over but I hope this has helped you a bit. Hankook V12 and Yokohama YK580 are great tires, they would be my customers second choice since they fit the budget but it's difficult to get the rear in stock at times. Expect 25k miles on the V12, 40k on the Yoks and they both offer decent handling for the first 10k miles then get louder from there.

Cheers
The following users liked this post:
Biren (02-05-23)
Old 12-11-14, 09:42 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

How does Continental DW and Hankook v12 summer tires compared to Mich A/S 3 all season tires? I thought all season tires could not handle as good as summer tires in DRY condition.

I have Continental Extreme DWS (all season tires, not DW summer tires) on IS250 and Hankook v12 on IS350 and performance wise, Hankook v12 offers a whole lot more traction, cornering ability, and just blast out of corner like crazy. However, the DWS is quieter and last longer. Not fair comparison since they are in different leagues. I expect Hankook v12 to last 30k-40k as lots of members have said before.

So far for the Hankook v12, I autocrossed 2 times with daily drive, it has about 7k miles and still have 8/32. I love this tires so much more on autocross/track than the all season tires. I heard good thing about Michelin A/S 3 but i thought they are not as good as summer tires.
Old 12-14-14, 08:13 PM
xhackr
Rookie

Originally Posted by mrAkana
Sure thing! Please keep in mind I only had these on factory specs 225/40 and 255/40 factory wheels. Over the past few years I used to work for DTC and tested new tires pushing them beyond from a daily driver role.

Current set up
Mich A/S3 - This is by far the best set I've had on the IS in the rain and dry(will snow soon). The turn in is fluid, that's an understatement but 14k miles later I'm still aggressive on corners(country or freeway)as these tires leave a wide footprint which means I know I'll make it through a turn. The tire is extremely responsive in either direction, from a launch with VFC and TC off you will hook up every single time as I've tried to break traction over asphalt and brick at different angles. As of this week we've had a good amount of rain, on my commute to/from WA speed limit is 60mph but with these tires I'm confident to stay at 65-70mph in 2"-3" of standing water on multiple parts of the freeway, especially on uphill and downhill transition. The factory sipping hasn't failed me yet as I haven't experienced hydroplaning or an oh crap moment in these conditions and I know for sure these tires just pierce right through it.

As for treadwear, brand new I measured 10/32nds and as of tonight I'm at 8/32nds with 14k on the clock(hoping for 30k). As for road noise, I actually turn off my radio to hear almost nothing and just cruise on my 30 min commute when it's dry. I can honestly say with confidence, that michelin tire was made for performance with luxury at the center.

Yes, they cost a bit more but they're definitely worth it if you travel the distance like I do and carve corners. FYI, I did pick up a nail in the center about 2k miles in but that repair hasn't stopped me from my habits.

Goodyear Eagle F1
Sidewall! Whether it's this or the asymmetrical tire from Goodyear, they have a solid sidewall which I am a fan of. They have a more dense carcass but when you need stability, it's on all the time. The flip side to this would be the road noise, as I wore them down from 11/32 to 6/32 they get extremely loud and pick up all kinds of junk on the road. Overall they're a good AS set if you can grab them. I had put 30k on before I replaced them and these are my 2nd favorite because of dry and wet traction per WA conditions.

Continental DW
Since you live in Florida, this should be your ideal setup since the environment is dry. In the rain, you'll have traction up until the dry limit of the tire as the factory sipping does not do a great job of channeling out the water. As for the dry traction, it's phenomenal since the compound is really soft and you can hammer down on your corner exit like a bat out of hell. They also make a DWS but I do not suggest that not even to my worse enemy as I've broke traction in rain all the time. You'll get good amount of life from this tire, I'd say 20k before you want a something new. The noise level is very apparent but tolerable on long drives.

I hope this helps and feel free to PM me if you need further opinions. OP, apologies for taking over but I hope this has helped you a bit. Hankook V12 and Yokohama YK580 are great tires, they would be my customers second choice since they fit the budget but it's difficult to get the rear in stock at times. Expect 25k miles on the V12, 40k on the Yoks and they both offer decent handling for the first 10k miles then get louder from there.

Cheers
Thanks for a very detailed narrative. You may have missed your calling.

It gets good and wet here, so the Contis are probably out. The A/S 3 sounds good. I’d be interested in someone who has had experience with those and the Hankook Ventus S1 Noble2. Tire Rack gives give a small edge to the A/S 3 in the wet, but a larger advantage to the Hankook in comfort and noise. I won’t be tearing up switchback mountain roads, so those two are important.

Michelin, like many other manufactures, cuts the rear tire tread warranty in half due to the staggered tires. Hankook doesn’t do this.