Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

need input on GY Tripletred, Yoko Avid Envigor, & Conti Purecontact

Old 10-25-14, 10:11 AM
Enz
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default need input on GY Tripletred, Yoko Avid Envigor, & Conti Purecontact

I've narrowed down my top 2 choices for my wife's RX300 coach ed with RX330 wheels to the goodyear tripletred and yokohama avid envigor based on price/performance in dry/wet but not winter since I have dedicated winter tires on the stock 16" wheels.

The GY is better than the Yoko but I'm a bit worried about the noise per posts on the web. I currently have BGF 245/55/18s and they are loud after some miles.

Any input on the GY tripletred noise?

My other choice is the Conti Pure contact with ecoplus tech its a lot more $$ but its a really light tire at only 24 lbs. (advantage of lower unsprung weight) so if you are using this tire let me know how you like it and I might just pay the extra $$.

Thanks!
Old 10-28-14, 09:56 AM
Enz
Pit Crew

Anyone?
I'm now leaning more to the Pure Contact. When does Continental have rebates/sales?
Old 10-29-14, 12:48 PM
AJ@TireRack.com
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really apologize for not commenting in this sooner. I have posted in your other thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...recontact.html

Originally Posted by AJ@TireRack.com
The EcoPlus technology in the Continental Pure Contact will be the big deciding factor. 7 pounds per corner is huge weight and you will feel this when driving.

I would expect the Continental to have a better ride quality and would also expect it to perform a little better in wet weather conditions, if that is a concern.

Directional tires (like the Goodyear Assurance Triple-tread) in general tend to get loud. Also, you can only rotate the tire front to rear, which will impact tread life considerably.

-AJ
Old 10-29-14, 12:52 PM
Enz
Pit Crew

Thanks AJ! That settles it, I'm waiting on the PureContacts to go on sale. Do you know if Continental offers or have offered any rebates on this tire? When do they have their rebates, in Spring?
Thanks again!
Old 10-29-14, 01:14 PM
AJ@TireRack.com
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good choice.

Rebates due pop up from time to time, and I would expect maybe one more rebate before years end.
Old 10-29-14, 01:21 PM
Enz
Pit Crew

Yeah, when I first saw the weight of the tire, I thought maybe TR recommended the wrong tire and these tires are meant for cars and won't be sturdy enough for an RX. I've had some magnesium 3-piece wheels coupled with light tires and the savings on weight DO make a difference!
Thx again!