Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Help!!! My tires are too loud!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-02, 12:13 AM
kensttgs400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Help!!! My tires are too loud!!!!

Anybody out there who can help me? I have 18 x 285's on rear of my TT GS400 & 18 x 255's on the front. They are currently Pilot Sport's A & S but even before those, I had Yokohama AVS db's and the tire "growl" road noise is something pathetic!! It comes thru the cabin of the car and even MO @ SRT said he never heard anything like it! Can anybody help suggest a remedy or know of any quiet tires in that particular size?? Any ideas what the problem is??
Old 12-06-02, 01:16 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts
Default Re: Help!!! My tires are too loud!!!!

Originally posted by kensttgs400
Anybody out there who can help me? I have 18 x 285's on rear of my TT GS400 & 18 x 255's on the front. They are currently Pilot Sport's A & S but even before those, I had Yokohama AVS db's and the tire "growl" road noise is something pathetic!! It comes thru the cabin of the car and even MO @ SRT said he never heard anything like it! Can anybody help suggest a remedy or know of any quiet tires in that particular size?? Any ideas what the problem is??
i have the yoko avs sport too..... it's almost worn out already and yes it's stupidly loud. everyone in my car asks what the heck is that noise too.....

it's fromthe tires for sure after checking with couple of people and shops. the noise from my avs sport is worst when it's at 30-40mph, and when i do braking. to the point that the cabin even vibrates a bit due to resonance... you can imagine that.

so your pilot is very noisy too? i ordered some so3 and i heard they are pretty quiet
Old 12-06-02, 01:22 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

All directional performance tires are going to get loud as they wear. I've just worn through a set of Toyo T1-S's though, and they were the quietest ones I've had (vs. Bridgestone Potenzas and Nitto Extremes).

So I highly recommend the Toyos. I have 245/40-18's up front and 275/35-18's on the back.

Another thing you should definitely consider is adding sound dampening material to your trunk and under the back seat at least. This will also reduce the road/tire noise coming into the car.
Old 12-06-02, 01:29 AM
BkLexZ
Pole Position

Yeah I got the same problem I got Michelin Pilot Sport on stock 17"wheel and the noise is very loud. It goes away at higher speeds but when I brake around 15-20 mph thats when they really start humming. I also did a lot of reading about the tires of choice and also by people's pics and Bridgestone S03 are very liked. How are they in the snow, today we had like 6 in of snow and my Gs barely drives.
Old 12-06-02, 01:30 AM
kensttgs400
Driver School Candidate

Hay Bitkahuna,

would love to try those tires but with my Veilside Skirt kit I know the tires would look way to small. My present size is almost perfect yet a bit "smallish" Maybe I'll investigate non-directional tires though I know as a specialty tire that may be non-existent to find.
Old 12-06-02, 01:42 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by bitkahuna
All directional performance tires are going to get loud as they wear. I've just worn through a set of Toyo T1-S's though, and they were the quietest ones I've had (vs. Bridgestone Potenzas and Nitto Extremes).

So I highly recommend the Toyos. I have 245/40-18's up front and 275/35-18's on the back.

Another thing you should definitely consider is adding sound dampening material to your trunk and under the back seat at least. This will also reduce the road/tire noise coming into the car.
how's the grip of the toyo?

also, i thought the sound is mostly from the fornt wheel? my rear is stiill very new and the sound is clearly fromthe front. i am thinking about putting those dynamit (sp??) on all the front suspension, etc... would that help?
Old 12-06-02, 01:43 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by BkLexZ
Yeah I got the same problem I got Michelin Pilot Sport on stock 17"wheel and the noise is very loud. It goes away at higher speeds but when I brake around 15-20 mph thats when they really start humming. I also did a lot of reading about the tires of choice and also by people's pics and Bridgestone S03 are very liked. How are they in the snow, today we had like 6 in of snow and my Gs barely drives.
you meant the so3 are very quiet? redgs4 has them and he said it's good so far. been in his car and it's very nice, that's why i am giving it a try.

personally i don't suggest ANY performance tires on snw...
Old 12-06-02, 03:25 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by rominl

you meant the so3 are very quiet? redgs4 has them and he said it's good so far. been in his car and it's very nice, that's why i am giving it a try.

personally i don't suggest ANY performance tires on snw...
Rominl,
since we're meeting with RedGS4 for lunch tomorrow, I'd say we need to ride in each others cars across the same road surfaces to get the real low down on tire noise.

I've got the Pilot Sports 245 & 285 -19 and they are OK on most surfaces and a little growl when coming to a stop.

Also I think The Yoko's mentioned were the "DB" version. Was that what you have or the non-DB ? ? The DB is "supposed" to be low noise, as in decibels "db".

My buddy in his stock 2002 Mercedes E320 just lowered his car and put 245/40-18's. He does not care that much about handling or wear; he just wanted the car to be as quiet as stock.

He went for the Yoko DB's and he said they are just as quiet as stock, even with the much lower profile.

All tires get noisy as they wear, so I would say just about any new set of tires will sound quieter than the old worn rubber. In my buddy's Mercedes, his stock tires only had 1000 miles on them, so I think this is a fair evaluation.

The tread design is one of the factors affecting noise. Any tread with separate blocks will contribute to noise. The SO3's have partially joined blocks, so that explains why they should be a little quieter than most. RedGs4 had the Yokos to compare to the SO3's, but they WERE NOT the DB's. I'm not surprised that he is happy with the SO3's, but I just want to make it clear that he was not comparing them to DB's , which could possibly be even quieter than So3's.

A new tire from Continental "Sport Contact 2", has almost no blocks in the design, just 4 deep grooves, with some pattern extending out from the grooves.

Just by looking at this tire, it tells me that it would be a good candidate for low road noise. Of course other characteristics may affect this.

I think a 19" version of this tire is available on the new 7 series BMW. Not totally sure though. Test drive or find someone with these tires on their 7series to see what they're all about.

Don't know any other way to find out what this tire is like except to buy em and find out.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 12-06-02 at 03:47 AM.
Old 12-06-02, 04:40 AM
400DGRZ
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up kensttgs400

kensttgs400

Wow! Do you have any pics of your setup?!?
Old 12-06-02, 10:39 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by kensttgs400
Hay Bitkahuna,

would love to try those tires but with my Veilside Skirt kit I know the tires would look way to small. My present size is almost perfect yet a bit "smallish" Maybe I'll investigate non-directional tires though I know as a specialty tire that may be non-existent to find.
You can get the Toyos in the size you want (255, 285)!

I doubt you'll find any non-directional 285's.
Old 12-06-02, 10:42 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by rominl
how's the grip of the toyo?

also, i thought the sound is mostly from the fornt wheel? my rear is stiill very new and the sound is clearly fromthe front. i am thinking about putting those dynamit (sp??) on all the front suspension, etc... would that help?
EXCELLENT grip. Better than either the Potenzas or the Nittos I had before.

Noise definitely comes from both front and back. If you take the back seat lower cushion out of the car (takes 10 seconds - see articles) and drive around a bit, you'll be amazed at how loud it is.

But you can't dynamat (or other sound deadening stuff - I used B-Quiet products) moving parts like the suspension. I do want to put some matting under the front driver and passenger carpeting, but haven't taken the time to figure out exactly how to pull all that carpet back. I'm sure that will help though.
Old 12-06-02, 10:43 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by RMMGS4
All tires get noisy as they wear, so I would say just about any new set of tires will sound quieter than the old worn rubber.
Very true.
Old 12-06-02, 07:41 PM
kensttgs400
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up pics reply

Hay, 400DGRZ-
The pics of my car and TT set-up are in the ClubLexus Member Photo Gallery. Also you can see some of the pics under another thread. "GS400 TT is STRONG.." Let me know what you guys think??