Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Winters with the most thread go at the front

Old 10-12-12, 04:59 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Winters with the most tread go at the REAR

I was told that for winter tires, you actually want them at the front, supposedly for the following reasons:

- The front is where steering occurs, hence where the additional traction is needed to ensure you go where you intend to go, not on the straight line that your momentum is carrying you.

- The front is where most of the initial braking occurs, hence where the additional traction is needed to ensure that you are actually able to stop when you brake.

While you want to be able to take off from a complete stop, and additional traction at the back can

Well, senior members here corrected me,so I edited the original post to remove the now debunked advice.

Last edited by My0gr81; 10-12-12 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Given and passed on erroneous advice
Old 10-12-12, 07:03 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

This is actually completely and utterly wrong. Best tires, no matter what, always go to the rear. This prevents an oversteer condition when turning.

It is the exact same reason that in every condition possible you want the best tires on the rear.

http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/...techid=120#fwd

http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/...?techid=120#y4

And one last thing, tires have TREAD not THREAD...
Old 10-12-12, 07:09 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

I can find many sites, but here are a few more:

http://www.ajforeignauto.com/index.p...article&id=155

Goodyear: www.goodyeartires.com “When you select a pair of replacement tires in the same size and construction as those on the car, we recommend you put them on the rear axle.“

Bridgestone/Firestone: www.tiresafety.com from the Replacement Manual: “Winter tires are best applied to all vehicle positions. If winter tires are applied to the front axle of any vehicle, they must also be installed on the rear. Do not apply winter tires to only the front axle --- this applies to all passenger cars and light trucks, including front wheel drive, 4x4 and all-wheel drive vehicles.“

Dunlap: www.dunloptires.com “When you select a pair of replacement tires in the same size and construction as those on the car, we recommend you put them on the rear axle.”

Michelin: www.michelinman.com “A pair of new tires should go in back. See video.”

Other tire prevention tips:

BF Goodrich: www.bfgoodrichtires.com “REPLACEMENT OF TWO (2) TIRES It is recommended that all four (4) tires are replaced at the same time. However, whenever only two tires are replaced, the new ones should be put on the rear. The new tires, with deeper tread, may provide better grip and water evacuation in wet driving conditions.”

Continental: continentaltire.custhelp.com "Winter tires should be used on all four wheel positions. Never put non-radial winter tires on the rear if radials are on the front, except when the vehicle has duals on the rear. On front-wheel-drive or performance vehicles, it may be advisable to install winter or all season tires on all wheel positions to maintain consistent handling in winter conditions."
Old 10-12-12, 08:37 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Bingo! Mitsuguy hit it right on the head. I was going to say the same thing.

Plus, if you stick to a tire-rotation schedule, your tires will be evenly worn.
Old 10-12-12, 11:39 AM
zig@tr
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't really know where to start addressing that comment, other than I think you have it completely backwards. Oversteer is dangerous in any automobile in any weather conditions. Here are some video's we have done with winter tires on the front of a FWD car and all-seasons on the rear.

Four of a Kind vs. Two Pair Video
Old 10-12-12, 04:32 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Original post edited to reflect the information provided.
Old 10-12-12, 04:36 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

snow tires in the front allows FWD cars to drift...
Old 10-13-12, 06:21 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
snow tires in the front allows FWD cars to drift...
lol, yes it does...

quite fun if you are expecting it, unfortunately, most people don't realize what is happening until they have spun off the road backwards...