Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Wheel lip repair for 18's Work VS-XX?

Old 09-23-08, 07:32 PM
henry1
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel lip repair for 18's Work VS-XX?

Wheels are for my SC300. I'm not sure if this is the right section to post this, but here goes.

So I dropped my 18" Work VS-XX wheels off at WheelTechnologies in Texas (wheeltechnologies.com) to get my wheels repaired. The 2 front ones are 8.5 and rears are 9.5 wide. The front ones have a very tiny, tiny bend on the lip but enough where it'll vibrate a lil bit when driving. The rear ones have a few minor curb scratches that i want to take out.

Well next day they say they cannot repair them b/c the outer lips are hollow. I never heard of a hollow lip and they said they dont want to mess with them just in case they make a hole in them on accident. Any recommendations on where to get them repaired besides buying a new lip and swapping them out on these multi-piece wheels? Thanks.
Old 09-23-08, 07:40 PM
trill2go
Pole Position

Originally Posted by henry1
Wheels are for my SC300. I'm not sure if this is the right section to post this, but here goes.

So I dropped my 18" Work VS-XX wheels off at WheelTechnologies in Texas (wheeltechnologies.com) to get my wheels repaired. The 2 front ones are 8.5 and rears are 9.5 wide. The front ones have a very tiny, tiny bend on the lip but enough where it'll vibrate a lil bit when driving. The rear ones have a few minor curb scratches that i want to take out.

Well next day they say they cannot repair them b/c the outer lips are hollow. I never heard of a hollow lip and they said they dont want to mess with them just in case they make a hole in them on accident. Any recommendations on where to get them repaired besides buying a new lip and swapping them out on these multi-piece wheels? Thanks.
never heard of hollow lips before; sorry that i can't offer any advice, but from what i know, works aren't true multi-piece in the sense that they're welded together.

though i can't comment for certain on the VS-XX, I remember a thread on acurazine in which the OP tried to take apart his work meisters and found out in the end that they were welded together
Old 09-23-08, 08:46 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

not sure if they are true 3 piece. im almost positive they are. as far as buying a lip...it will cost you...a lot. most of the time its cheaper to look for a new wheel.

post some pics of the damage.

never heard of hollow lip. maybe they dont know what do to and made stuff up to get you out of the way. my dad fixes wheels on the side. hes a welder and fabricator. but you are too far away. go to different place to have them fixed.
Old 09-23-08, 09:20 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When they speak of a hollow lip, they are actually referring to a folded lip. Basically, the lip is created by folding the lip back which creates the area for the tire beat to attach and it is a somewhat hollow structure. My old Blitz 03s were the same type of structure.

I had an almost catastrophic bend/crack in mine but the wizards at http://www.wheeltechniques.com/ in NORCAL was able to fix it, even with it being hollow.

Remember, fixing rims is a risky business. No business wants to be liable should a rim break after being repaired that ultimately leads to an accident. If you can't get them to fix it, may want to look at buying a new rim.
Old 09-23-08, 10:08 PM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

there are a lot of shops in houston if youre not too far
Old 09-23-08, 11:06 PM
booja
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i know sabs in houston can repair almost any wheel.

my friend had a set of ssr gpo's and he completely bent the wheel into a D shape and also broke off the spokes on the face and bent them (mesh wheel) and they repaired to new. i couldnt even tell it was fixed
Old 09-24-08, 01:27 AM
henry1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by booja
i know sabs in houston can repair almost any wheel.

my friend had a set of ssr gpo's and he completely bent the wheel into a D shape and also broke off the spokes on the face and bent them (mesh wheel) and they repaired to new. i couldnt even tell it was fixed
oh yeah... forgot about sabs. ill try to hit them up.
Old 09-24-08, 06:29 AM
huddleston
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 13 Posts

pm milt, he had an old set of SSRs refinished and repaired a few years back. i traded with him for some stockies and the SSRs came out looking great.
Old 09-24-08, 10:31 AM
SoarerAZ
Pole Position

This may help, or not try calling Toda/AKH Trading and speak with Jim. I highly advise shooting some pics as he may ask for some pictures to see what he thinks. He maybe able to shoot you in the right direction.