Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

ATTN: people with Painted RIMS

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-03, 02:10 AM
BruceLeeJZAGTE
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATTN: people with Painted RIMS

do you scratch the paint inside wheel when you are tightening and loosening the nuts to remove your wheels?

is it a good idea to put touchup paint in there because of it? or just let it be?

i have Gunmetal Volks and they painted that part of the wheel and i think they should have just left it NOT PAINTED!

i guess its only visible up close but still...
Old 10-02-03, 10:01 AM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: ATTN: people with Painted RIMS

Originally posted by BruceLeeJZAGTE
do you scratch the paint inside wheel when you are tightening and loosening the nuts to remove your wheels?

is it a good idea to put touchup paint in there because of it? or just let it be?

i have Gunmetal Volks and they painted that part of the wheel and i think they should have just left it NOT PAINTED!

i guess its only visible up close but still...
I also have gunmetal volks and the paint around the lugs is starting to wear. Most wear seems to occur when those goobers at the dealer use an air wrench to loosen/tighten the lugs. I have also started to notice rock dings and other cosmetic damage. Given the paint damage to my car overall, I can't get too worked up about the rims. You could try to touch it up but there's no way it will be as durable as the original paint.
Old 10-02-03, 03:17 PM
BruceLeeJZAGTE
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man that sucks!

why did they paint inside there too!?!?! they shoulda just covered it up! argh!@!@!
Old 10-02-03, 05:25 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They were designed for light weight and strength first with cosmetics a secondary characteristic. Leaving the center polished would look funny and covering them up would only add weight [and detract from the sleek design] IMO. Get some nice brakes and nobody notices the paint dings.