Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

WAY TOO MUCH Brake Dust !!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-03, 01:35 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default WAY TOO MUCH Brake Dust !!!

A few weeks ago, I installed my new EBC Greenstuff brake pads on all 4 corners. Stock calipers and rotors, did not re-surface (yet), they were reasonably smooth. They have improved my braking tremendously, feels like a factor of two.
HOWEVER, getting WAY more brake dust than the stock pads that I just removed. I thought these were LOW brake dust pads! My chrome 17"'s are blacker than I remember them ever being. I wouldn't be surprised if I wear thru them twice as fast too. Though I like the braking, I'm very disappointed with the dirty wheels. My car usually looks immaculate, but the wheels won't stay clean more than about 1 day now.
Anyone have this problem, or possibly know why I might be getting so much dust???

Old 08-28-03, 08:29 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Brakes

The Greenstuff pads are a compound material with kevlar.You should be running Ceramic pads.
Old 08-28-03, 08:45 PM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had the same problem! Yes ceramics are the way to go if you are trying to avoid paying OEM costs, very minimal brake dust.
Old 08-29-03, 12:40 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you sure they're real EBC Greens? I know that sounds like a retarded question but there are "fake" EBC Greens floating around...I have EBC Greens on my 6-piston AP's and they have very low dust...
Old 08-29-03, 06:43 AM
ted920
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have EBC Greens and they are very low brake dust and provide excellent stopping power with the crss drilled & slotted rotors that I have. Good combo with stainless steel lines and Motul.

Peace,

Ted
Old 08-29-03, 07:09 AM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had EBC Greens on the front stock rotor's. They ran great \ no dust until one of the calipers locked up,then I had brake dust city, but any pad would have done that.
Old 08-29-03, 08:10 AM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default EBC

You definitely should have those rotors resurfaced, that will probably help a little bit. However, your vehicle most likely came with an OE ceramic pad. It is possible there is more brake dust with the EBC vs. the OE ceramic. The EBC have low brake dust, for a high performance pad, but compared to an OE ceramic like Akebono or Sumitomo they probably do have more dust.
Old 08-29-03, 02:30 PM
mmcustom
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have EBC's and have practically no brake dust. I agree with Manaray, they may not be real Green's.
Old 08-29-03, 02:52 PM
amlin423
Pole Position

I have a lot of brake dusts on my EBCs as well. Not sure if they are real but I did buy them from tirerack. I always wondered why everybody says the EBCs have none to little brake dust. From day 1 the problem has been horrible.
Old 08-31-03, 06:45 AM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

I've tried Raybestos ceramics on the front stock rotors and they are just like OEM, very minimal brake dust. I don't think they make for the rears though! Where could I find EBC pads?
Old 08-31-03, 02:38 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

have you thought about Kleen Wheelz (brake dust shields)?
Old 08-31-03, 05:42 PM
legendary
Racer

mOst times I have heard that folks upgrade to newer 'performance' pads - Axxis, AEM, EBC, and do not get - 1) rotors turned, or 2) newer rotors [drilled/slotted] and have more dust. The EBC pads, if I remember correctly are more abrasive than stock pads = more dust on a stock/unturned rotor/
This may account for some of your differences. I know when I ran AEM pads/brand new rotors = no dust. Same rotors, new pads/no turn = little more dust. Just my observation.
Old 09-02-03, 08:30 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for all the replies.
My EBC's are from Tire Rack. They looked authentic, but who knows?
Hey Manaray, there are no retarded questions...

Brandon@TireRack: If my memory serves me correctly, the GS comes with Sumitomo's as the stock pads, but I'm not sure if they're ceramic - they don't look it to me. Maybe someone else knows?...

Haven't thought about Kleen Wheelz - I've never been eager to add anything that will cut down on airflow and rotor cooling.