Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Tein and GS 17's help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-03, 10:25 PM
Rockero28
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Tein and GS 17's help!

Ok guys.... I have a huge problem here.... The pic below is of the tires I took off the GS. The worn one was in the rear and the not so worn one was in the front. I am also using 25mm H&R's in the rear. I do not know what the heck is going on.. Is this a camber issue, and if so... how to fix???

Please help!!!!!

Rock
Attached Thumbnails Tein and GS 17's help!-tires.jpg  
Old 08-05-03, 04:21 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow that is a big difference. Were the tires purchased and installed at the same time? How low do you have your coilovers? Im not sure if that can be attributed to camber or not. It does look like the very inside of the tire is worn more than the rest of the tire. How did you drive with those tires almost bald If it is a camber issue there is no camber kit for the GS as far as I know. If there is one there are a ton of people on this site that would gladly buy one.
Old 08-05-03, 05:03 PM
Rockero28
Lexus Champion

Default tires

I don't know how it happened... I have had the tein about a year... and the tires were put on the same time. I am wondering if the tein is the problem or alignment??

Rock
Old 08-05-03, 05:17 PM
FutureGSorIS
Lead Lap

Default Re: tires

Originally posted by Rockero28
I don't know how it happened... I have had the tein about a year... and the tires were put on the same time. I am wondering if the tein is the problem or alignment??

Rock
You def have seem to have some alightment problems as that is some wicked inside tire wear. How low do you have it dropped? That is also a very significant difference in wear from the fr to the rear.
Old 08-05-03, 05:55 PM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

Whoa that is weird. Didn't you feel the ride worsen? I can't imagine getting a nice ride wearing the tires like that. That sux man hope you find the problem.
Old 08-05-03, 06:36 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’m no expert but I’d have to say you have a camber issue, and that’s not all. I’m guessing the rear tire in the pic is from your left rear. If so your 25mm spacer’s are changing your suspension geometry even further and making the insides wear away even faster.

You need a front and rear end alignment, but not back to factory specs. And it’s going to be hard to get it right without enough adjustability in your camber settings. Todd Matsubar aka DoubleWoosh (you might want to PM him) of TMengineering might have a camber kit from Danzen for the GS. I was looking into it for my SC and he’s tops to deal with. He even offered to press out the old camber kit and send me some loaner suspension bits while he was working on it.

If you do end up getting it aligned, don’t let Bell Tire put it back to factory specs. You need somebody who specializes in lowered cars to get it right for you or you’ll be back in the same boat. Good luck and let us know what you find out.
Old 08-06-03, 01:30 AM
Rockero28
Lexus Champion

Question Tires

Well, I am thinking it is the camber thing. I have had the car lowered about a year now. I had the toyos on there before the potenzas, but they were not as bad as these. Yes, still the fronts lasted longer though. So if it is the camber.. is this fixable without spending a lot of money? The Teins are hardly used. I do very little driving on them, but I am guessing it is the Camber problem. I don't want to have to sell the Teins... and have a gap again.....

Rock
Old 08-06-03, 03:14 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

I had the same problem as you before. I found out it was from lack of experience from my ex - alignment guy. With 17's and no gap as you mentioned, you probably lowered it like 3 inches. My tires were like that, I could actually see the threads coming out. You have to go to a professional alignment guy who knows about lowered cars. With me, he put individual Hunter devices on each rim and then aligned it the best he could. I have 20's on with no gap in the rear and 1 finger gap in the front. My rear wheels will always be 1 degree negative, can't do anything about that BUT it is much better than I had it before.