Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Wheels that DON'T Spin/Rotate

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-03, 07:16 AM
kvoman
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheels that DON'T Spin/Rotate

The title may sound weird and I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me but I saw a set of wheels on a Cadillac CTC that looked nice at a stop sign. When it pulled away, the wheels just stayed motionless. It just looked strange seeing a car moving but the wheels aren't.

Have anyone seen these before?
Old 07-22-03, 07:28 AM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

probably a spinner that was stuck, I've seen it a few times on a navigator.
Old 07-22-03, 12:17 PM
Ag02M5
Lexus Test Driver

Saw some on Sunset on an Escalade. Maybe just not up to speed enough to get them spinning.

Also, it was both wheels.

Actually kinda looked cool.

Rims were at least 24" maybe 26".

R
Old 07-22-03, 12:20 PM
BuyERTS
Lead Lap

Originally posted by futuregs
probably a spinner that was stuck, I've seen it a few times on a navigator.
If a spinner was stuck, it'd probably spin "normally" with the rest of the wheel, no?

Personally, I think it's only a matter of time before spinners are outawed.
Old 07-22-03, 01:30 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ya i've seen it b4 a lot with s addons spinners, the middle rotaes slower than the wheel and looks like its not moving... cheap spinners is what u saw or mounted wrong.. or like someone said just not up 2 speed
Old 07-22-03, 03:12 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

yeah, you have to build up some momentum before dem stop and go's start going. its funny to see jerks doing 5mph SLAM on their brakes thinking the spinners are flying even though they are stationary (sp?)!!

I still think Davin has some nice 5spoke designs, especially the newer ones, that have no backup rim, just a spinning center. But all those add ons look like Bab's weave on Making the Band II
Old 07-22-03, 04:26 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by DGOT20s
yeah, you have to build up some momentum before dem stop and go's start going. its funny to see jerks doing 5mph SLAM on their brakes thinking the spinners are flying even though they are stationary (sp?)!!

I still think Davin has some nice 5spoke designs, especially the newer ones, that have no backup rim, just a spinning center. But all those add ons look like Bab's weave on Making the Band II
very true babs weave is pretty bad...
Old 07-22-03, 05:09 PM
UncleNick
Pole Position

Default Re: Wheels that DON'T Spin/Rotate

Originally posted by kvoman
The title may sound weird and I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me but I saw a set of wheels on a Cadillac CTC that looked nice at a stop sign. When it pulled away, the wheels just stayed motionless. It just looked strange seeing a car moving but the wheels aren't.

Have anyone seen these before?
I have heard of those, actually a Lexus GS430 in our area with em on. Rumor has it the car is black and cost the guy around $10,000. He got em from Custom Wheel Connection........
Old 07-29-03, 01:47 AM
Dominik
Driver

Hey, i see this term being mentioned all the time in these forums, but i still have no real idea what 'Spinners' are!

Here in Australia this trend hasnt started yet (maybe it wont - we have strict road rules), but i am curious as to what 'Spinners' look like etc..

My dim understanding is that they are a metal outer 'cover' that is mounted to the centre of the original mags with a bearing. Can they be fitted to any mags? or only to wheels that were designed for spinners?
Old 07-29-03, 04:17 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by Dominik

My dim understanding is that they are a metal outer 'cover' that is mounted to the centre of the original mags with a bearing. Can they be fitted to any mags? or only to wheels that were designed for spinners?
There are 2 type of "spinning wheels. The 1st is Davin, which is a wheel company that designs, R&Ds, and manufactures wheels that spin from the onset. They have the best looking designs and are very expensive (10-18k for some, OUCH!).

The 2nd are "add-on" spinners from companies like Diablo, and spin tek. These are basically spinning tops that are chrome plated and bolt on to your existing wheel. The problem is, your current wheel was not designed to have about 5-10 pounds of rotating mass added to its circumference. So the add ons tend to "wobble" instead of spin. They also tend to be purchased by people who also could not afford "true" multipiece deep dish wheels, so they stick out.

Heres a pic of a Davin wheel (one that I think is pretty nice looking, minus the carbon)

Davin 5spoke Spinning wheel

And heres some pics of the add-ons, plus them added to wheels. note the difference

Add on's that stick out and "wobble wobble"

Last edited by D2-AUTOSPORT; 07-29-03 at 04:18 AM.
Old 07-30-03, 07:32 AM
Dominik
Driver

Sweet, thanks!

I was actually thinking of importing some to put on as a joke (coz nobody would know what they are here!). But they are actually the same price as a set of mag wheels! (for the add-ons). The genuine Davins sound interesting, but for the price of a nice SC400, i know which i would rather choose!
Old 07-30-03, 09:09 AM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I saw these "non-spinning wheels" on a silver LS400 last night. The car was accelerating from about 0 to 25 MPH and the wheel centers looked stationary. It was going towards me, so once it passed I lost sight of it.
Old 07-30-03, 06:40 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

a spinner on strike......