Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Ouch! There's a screw in my S03?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-03, 10:31 PM
Synergy
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ouch! There's a screw in my S03?!?!

I just noticed that my front left tire has a screw embedded in the center of tread. I can't pull it out by hand, nor do I want to risk massive air loss. At first glance I thought that there was no air leak, however after checking the PSI I noticed that there was a small leak. I can keep filling it up each week, but it is sure to get worse right?

Is there anything I can do to fix this? Someone told me that you can't patch these tires?? What to do now...don't tell me I have to buy a new tire

Last edited by Synergy; 07-13-03 at 10:32 PM.
Old 07-13-03, 11:56 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if the screw is right in the center of tire, they could patch it up. The thing is, if the screw is lodged at an angle near the outer or inner sidewall near the beads, then you've got to replace the whole tire. That happened to me about 2 months ago and I had to replace 1 rear tire. I was pissed!

but from your situation, you should be okay. Just go patch it up, and be SURE to have someone that knows how to dismount some 20s just in case they shred the beading on the inside. Happens a lot!
Old 07-14-03, 12:17 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

a lot of shop can easily patch it up. go to john right the way!
Old 07-14-03, 01:50 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd be interested in how you resolve this, Synergy. I found a small nail in my front tire too. it is in the middle, just like yours. I have not detected a leak, though, so I should be OK. I would like to eventually patch if it is doable. I have the Michelin Pilots but I don't think that should matter.
Old 07-14-03, 05:22 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

I've had both situations with my older S-02 and newer S-03's... a screw/nail in the tread of the tire and a screw/nail near the sidewall.

Do-luck head it on the head, if the object is near the edge of the tire or on the sidewall, they can't repair it fully. If it's in the center of the tire, they can patch it up just fine. The patches seal well and I had no problems with mine at all. Local tire shop that mounted / balanced my tires did it for me. One was free and the other was like $15.

Of course the easiest solution is to stop driving over crap in the road. And I need to take my own advice .

Last edited by DaveGS4; 07-14-03 at 05:23 AM.
Old 07-14-03, 05:37 AM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default S^%$ Happens...

This happened to me about 2 months ago and I choose to replace the tire even though the puncture was in the center. It CAN be repaired if its not next to the sidewall. The repair should always be with a mushroom patch and please repair/replace as soon as possible.

Tire Repair
Old 07-14-03, 01:21 PM
GSTRANCE
GS -Trance

Synergy.........off topic but #1- I like the new sig and #2- is that really how low your car is? it looks sick!!
Old 07-14-03, 02:11 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

America's Tire Company (located all over CA) will fix it for free. Just find a location near you.
Old 07-14-03, 04:20 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

actually america's tire will not fix flats for free unless you purchased the tire from them. They will charge $15, and if you buy tires from them in the future, they'll credit it back to you. I went there today
Old 07-14-03, 09:20 PM
Synergy

Thanks guys for the feedback...don't know if i trust any tire shop to mount and balance....my wheels are impossible to find in case they scratch them

I will visit John over at Exact per Rominl's suggestion....maybe he can do it? If not, I will find a good bay area tire company and let ya know what the outcome is. I am happy to know that it is possible to repair it...maybe
Old 07-14-03, 09:23 PM
Synergy

Originally posted by GSTRANCE
Synergy.........off topic but #1- I like the new sig and #2- is that really how low your car is? it looks sick!!
I needed to bend and cut some fender well metal and melt some plastic to get there...this shot was taken when it was a bit lower than current...probelm was - i couldn't turn!!!! It is still slammed - I owe it all to RMMGS4 (and his saw and sledge hammer and heat gun)!!!!
Old 07-14-03, 11:24 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by Synergy
Thanks guys for the feedback...don't know if i trust any tire shop to mount and balance....my wheels are impossible to find in case they scratch them

I will visit John over at Exact per Rominl's suggestion....maybe he can do it? If not, I will find a good bay area tire company and let ya know what the outcome is. I am happy to know that it is possible to repair it...maybe
yeah i am sure they do patch wheels
Old 07-15-03, 09:27 PM
amlin423
Pole Position

i had a 3 inch screw stuck in my S03 only few days after mounting them. The head was ripped off from the driving so it was really hard to get it out. Patched it up with a kit i bought from Kragens. Few weeks later i got another 2 inch screw stuck on the same damn tire. Patched it up again and it hasn't been a problem. As long as the nail isn't too close to the outside tread you're ok. 8 bucks will buy you a kit that can patch 4 tires. You do not need to go to exact motorsports to fix this. Trust me, it's easier than washing your car knowing how obsessed some of you fellas are with your GS.
Old 07-16-03, 07:03 PM
Synergy

Guys!! The worst thing happened! I went to America's Tire tby my house today and they said they could patch it no prob since the screw was in the center. Then they call me over to show me that my side wall has a tiny little crack. The guy told me that the crack was from driving it while flat, but the tire WAS NEVER FLAT it was at 25PSI and then I filled it up to 35PSI (my normal pressure). He told me that this happens all of the time and that they couldn't let me drive out with any crack on the tire so they put my spare on

This blows! The crack is so small and it almost seems as if it came from rubbing the fender well, not being flat!! Arggg so now I need to buy a new tire? Do you think I should take my rim and wheel and see if a different shop will patch it instead? Sometimes big companies have strict liabilities and this may not so bad afterall? What would you do? Is it really that risky???
Old 07-16-03, 07:24 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

chris, i would still take it to john to take a look and see what he thinks. but they are right though, 25psi is WAY low for this kind of performance tires. and no, 38psi is way too low for low profile tires! the so3 has a max psi of 51lb, so you should put like 4xlb to make sure the tires are at optimal strength. putting less air would greatly reduce the performance of the tires. yes the ride is harsh, but that's the price you pay for big wheels

Quick Reply: Ouch! There's a screw in my S03?!?!