Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

wheel locks

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-01, 07:16 PM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

This is something i've been wandering about since i will get rims in the summer. If i put 5 wheel locks (20 total) on all of the wheels and no lug nuts will that stop them from stealing my rims. Or at least make it harder for them .

I also know if somebody really wanted my rims they will just take em. Just trying to deter it.

Crime is not bad in my city but i am worried when i go to a big city like New Orleons.
Old 03-29-01, 08:52 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Should Slow 'Em Down

1Nice - It'll make it harder for them but like U said - if they really want them, they're gone! Do like I do when I go to New Orleans or Houston on business - put the factory wheels back on. It won't look too good but it also won't draw attention to your GS.
Old 03-30-01, 03:32 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

hahha yeah in nyc, I know a couple of guys that use to steal cars. They just TOW THE CAR AWAY if they really wanted it. They had their own tow truck and everything.

I got a question for you guys, what kind of rim locks do you guys use? The basic generic ones with the skeleton key or what? I've heard of Mcguard rim locks but don't know anyone who has them.
Old 03-30-01, 05:17 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Thumbs up WHEEL LOCKS?

I've always stuck with GORILLA over the years. And they've never let me down!
Old 03-30-01, 05:47 AM
TMitchell
Driver

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DIESELMAN63
[B]hahha yeah in nyc, I know a couple of guys that use to steal cars. They just TOW THE CAR AWAY if they really wanted it. They had their own tow truck and everything.

One thing that helps some is if you always turn your front wheels to the side before you lock the car up. You can't lift up the back and tow away.
Old 03-30-01, 06:05 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

DIESELMAN63,

The wheel locks that came with my 98 GS400 were McGuards as were all of the Lexus' and Toyota's I've seen in the South. I'm positive because I got my back-up key directly from McGuard by mail.

I lived in Manhattan for 20 years, and the NY metro area most of my life. One thing to remember when trying to protect your car is that the thief doesn't care about damaging your property.

If they are pros they will generally take the whole car and either dump it cheap, ship it offshore, or dismantle it for parts. Taking individual parts off your car takes too long...and it's easier and less obviously being stolen if they show up with a tow truck wearing repair shop overalls and take the whole car.

The whole idea of any security item is to induce the thief to pass on your car and go look elsewhere. One wheel lock is going to pass that test. BTW, that's why some say it's a good idea to put some sort of decal on your car (or house) saying it has a security system. The thinking is the sign is enough to say to the thief "go look somewhere else that's an easier mark". The exception to the rule is lojack or locating systems like that. Those work best when they are secret.

However, if some amateur wants your rims bad enough and can't get them off, there's just as good a chance they'll trash your rims and your car. What do they care about your ride? All they want is what they can take. Hopefully, they'll see the lock and move on, but I've seen some very torn up cars on the street with alarms blaring and very little missing...just thousands in damage.

That's why insurance exists.

Last edited by RealMarty; 03-30-01 at 09:56 AM.
Old 03-30-01, 01:31 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

RealMarty: yeah you have an excellant point. Those punks who do these stuff don't care about your ride, if they can't get it, they will trash it.

RealMarty, where did you get you lexus at? You ever been to BayRidge Lexus? Their service is atrocious over there. Also, living in Manhatten, do you put ur ride in the garage? I would hope so because there are alot of haters in nyc.

Tmitchell: You have a good point, I never thought of that.

Also I heard somewhere that burglars now are using freon to crack the lock. I hope there is a lock that can withstand freon
Old 03-30-01, 02:28 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

I lived in Manhattan on the upper west side.

When I first moved onto w 69th st. I had a '69 mgb convertible that I parked on the street. Every day had to move if from one side to the other.

Then I had a Toyota Celica GT. That one I garaged a few blocks from my apartment. After the Celica I got a Ford Thunderbird company car followed by a 1984? Supra Turbo (the first one with the separate body, not the Celica-based version), also garaged. That car came down to Atlanta with me in '90.

Didn't get my Lexus until 98 (and I bought it in Palm Beach FL) so I haven't dealt with any of the Lexus dealers in the NY area, but I'm not surprised that BayRidge Lexus is among the bad ones. Frankly wouldn't BayRidge Lexus be an oxymoron? Lexus of Brooklyn???

So, now they're using Freon to crack the lock. Just one more move of the chess pieces. Next someone will develop a lock that Freon doesn't work on... and so on and so on...

If someone develops a new lock, given time someone else will figure out a way to beat it. The way of the world.
Old 03-30-01, 07:23 PM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for all the replies. The wheel locks on my car right now are McGuards.

I will just put insurance on the rims and have peace of mind.