Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Painted pitted chrome wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-03, 01:04 PM
BriMcc
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painted pitted chrome wheels?

Does anyone know of a paint that can use to paint the pitted chrome between the spokes? Mine have pitted and the chrome is falling off. I was thinking of sanding down the inside of the spokes and painting black (colour of car). Any ideas?
Old 04-28-03, 01:07 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Take them to be media blasted first. then paint and clear them any way you want......may want to look into powder coating.
Old 04-28-03, 03:49 PM
carnal_c30
Lexus Test Driver

hmmmm if those pitts are bad enough they really affect the strength of the wheel...

I've seen chrome shops with a disclaimer saying that by some odd chance the wheels pit the wheels have to be replaced :gotme:

yea but snad blast em and rechroming

pictures? how bad are the pits?
Old 04-28-03, 04:42 PM
BriMcc
Driver

The pitting and peeling is not on the chrome outer, but in between the spokes. My wheels have 8 spokes and I think they came off a LS. I don't like the look.
Old 04-28-03, 05:01 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Heres the deal, if the chrome is coming off between the spokes, your going to have a real hard time sanding off the inner chrome without the chrome on the face peeling. Your going to have an even harder time painting the inside, and having it be a quality job, and cutting it off where the face chrome starts. On top of that, you need to really sand and polish out the pits to get a smooth finish, were talking alot of time for an inexperienced polisher(not sure if you are or not) to get out those pits. Even the smallest of pits will show through the finished product.

My advice, send them out to a wheel restorer to get them either re chromed, painted, polished, or a combination of the above. You will be charged to strip the old chrome, which should include the polishing out of the pits, then for the re finish. You should be able to get them re chromed and back to you for roughly 600, maybe slightly more.

Go to calchrome.com, they do this kind of work. All of these Viper guys I know use them to chrome their factory wheels.

Good luck
Old 04-28-03, 05:10 PM
BriMcc
Driver

Thanks for the help. Maybe I should look at replacing them. Since I just put new tires on I will have to look at 16's. Any leads of wheels in Canada?