Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

What cars should not have 20" wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-03, 11:30 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What cars should not have 20" wheels?

I just want to see where the rest of you stand on this. Lately, with all of the movie stars, singers, etc talking about 20 inch this, and dub that, the popularity of large diameter wheels has really skyrocketed. Just look at the factory offerings on vehicles now: M3-19" option, 745-19" option, Jag XJ/XK-20" option.

My question is, what cars should not have 20s? I say this, because I see alot of guys squeezing 20s on EVERYTHING nowadays. IMHO, if you cannot lower your car do bring it down to proper ride height after adding your 20s then you shouldnt have them. Also, if you have to do all types of radical things to you car or suspension (cheap spacers, lift kits, etc) just to mount a 20x8.5" wheel, then leave it alone. I'm from Bklyn, NY, so I see lots of things, but let me compile my list of cars that just SHOULD NOT have 20" wheels.

1. 95 Ford Taurus (I CANT MAKE THIS UP, THERE ARE 2 OF THEM IN MY AREA)

2. Lexus ES series- it just messes up the sleek lines of the car, buy jacking it up in the air

3. Mercedes SLK- I ACTUALLY SAW THIS ON MBWORLD-ANOTHER 1 I CANT MAKE UP!!

4. Ford Windstar- whats the point? (and this one had spinners too!)

The only problem I have with these guys doing this to their cars is, they are only trying to "floss". Its not like they are interested in vehicle dynamics, or preserving the lines of the car. I notice that alot of them just wanna walk around and scream I'm RIDIN ON DUBS!!! (or twankies, or whatever some people call them).

What do you all think?
Old 04-26-03, 05:06 PM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok

What I seen in this last week and around other forums. You ***** who try, 20's (or any other wheel that is WAY to large for your car) don't fit these cars right, this isn't MTV CRIBS, you will never be on MTV Cribs more then likely you will be on the court channel filing bankruptcy

IS300 , no don't even try
Mustangs , are you kidding me? Seen one last week, not lowered, gold spoked 20's
Cameros - Firebirds - Seen spinning 20's on one today. Word, sell that crap , pay down your credit card debt, maybe look into a savings account

Ford escapes and Land Rover Freelanders
Ford Explorers
Blazers
Neon's
Caddy de ville , seen one with 21's-22's ghetto fabulous style, another off road vehicle
LS with 21's, don't try it
GS with 21's, what kind of rocks are you smokin? please pass me some

Spinning wheels. I must have seen hundreds since spring came around. Anyone with a big 3 loyalty discount has a SUV with off the rack $2000 chrome ghetto **** 22's.

Also, to that daddys boy at 7-11 today with the escalade on the koatik 22's, I wish I had a camera to take your picture when I gave you my rebuttal to your question of "why don't you have 20's on your GS" Answer being, I will have a set as soon as your dad buys me some like your dad bought you that truck and wheels. Kid wasn't even old enough to shave talking about how he worked for this $55,000 truck.
Old 04-26-03, 06:28 PM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by jpa2400
Also, to that daddys boy at 7-11 today with the escalade on the koatik 22's, I wish I had a camera to take your picture when I gave you my rebuttal to your question of "why don't you have 20's on your GS" Answer being, I will have a set as soon as your dad buys me some like your dad bought you that truck and wheels. Kid wasn't even old enough to shave talking about how he worked for this $55,000 truck.
man, there's one like that near my 7-11 as well, though its not at 7-11. let me guess, yours is white or black as well, right? chrome is oh so given.

but the parental stuff...just let them be, man. its good parents can give their children things like that, so long as they don't think they're so pimp and better than everyone. and as long as they still do something with their lives
Old 04-26-03, 07:24 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

JPA, I totally agree with you, rims is not the end all and be all of car modification!! And that is what gets my goat too, you see these guys that have a 1995 Ford Taurus (book value 2500-3000 bucks) with these wack **** 20s (cost 2500-3000), and a system, and they are leaning halfway into the trunk!!! To be honest, I have had a fascination with 20" wheels since the 1st time I saw some in a advertisement in the Dupont registry in 1995(hence my screename). The wheels were Lorinser D-93s, and they were mounted on a CL600 M/B. I like 20s because they allow you to drop your car, and not scrape on driveways, etc. plus I love the way they fill the wheelwell.

Dont get me wrong, I have some of those off the rack 20s right now, but that is because I was rushing and the price was good. The difference is, I wont pull up to MrSypher, look at his silver 20s and lean into my trunk, thinkin "yeah, I got them big dog chromes, I'm killin him!!!" Am I the only guy who sees these clowns, with their funny looks and lean?

Last edited by D2-AUTOSPORT; 04-26-03 at 07:31 PM.
Old 04-26-03, 07:55 PM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

"man, there's one like that near my 7-11 as well, though its not at 7-11. let me guess, yours is white or black as well, right? "

Yeah kids ride was white. I run into these same type of people ALL the time at 7-11 for some reason (not sure why, I run into ***** like this about every week, asking dumb questions about why no wheels, or why this why that and being me I have to sarcastic bastard because I would like to fight the whole bunch so I snap back with something semi insulting, always a fun time yes yes), it is like a under 18 hang out here on the weekends.

"but the parental stuff...just let them be, man. its good parents can give their children things like that, "

"I have no problem with parents buying their kids anything. It's the fake **** kids that act like that bought it themselves is what pisses me off, quick being fake, man up and say hey man, I work some summer for my dad and he bought me this awesome ride, no one will diss you for that because you were truthful. Everyone out here has to act all pimp like they own the world, just be REAL!!!@#"

"1995 Ford Taurus (book value 2500-3000 bucks)"

That is sooo true here, in Detroit, with the home of the big 3 and FORD, you see those rides and Ford Tempo's all pimped out, to damn funny.

I must see 10-20 White, Black and bright blue (something new?) escalades a day, the blue ones are really popping up, all with huge wheels, many with spinners, blaaah

Last edited by jpa2400; 04-26-03 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-26-03, 08:09 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Isnt funny that this site makes you HATE spinners?! To be honest, I still think the original 5spoke Davins are nice because they are very plain, the thing that kills me are all these damn adaptor spinners, I went to a show in Boston 2-3 wks ago, and this guy had some on a 2002 LS430. The problem was, his rims were the wrong size or something because the spinner, STUCK ALL THE WAY OUT from the wheel (spokes and all). Yet the gave me the nod, and the "you know I'm the man look"! What a tool
Old 04-26-03, 09:04 PM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Not this site really, just being near and in Detroit you see so many damn ghetto setup's, it is so refreshing to see a nice clean ride. This site has really turned me onto a hooked up LS430 but cars have not be a focus of mine lately, of I would have done a ls430. I couldn't do spinners on that car, I think with fender mods you can run a 11" on the rear with a really sick lip, spinners would take away from that.

You just don't see many quality rides here, in cali you sure do. It is very rare to see anyone here with a good import setup, even good wheels are hard to come by. Lots of fixed up big 3 cars with tons dropped into the engine, but not a lot of quality hooked up imports, see some ghetto hooked up Lexus's, very few with nice wheels, body kits etc but they are out there.
Old 04-26-03, 10:31 PM
LexFather

Well, I think DAVINS are cool or were cool when they were on S500s and expensive cars. It was cool then. A 10,000 wheel on a 100,000 car. Cool.

But with all the spinning knock-offs and now they are on cars they should not be on, I no longer like them.

20s is the thing now, big chrome. It does not matter now what you drive, once you have 20s. Just tonight I saw the worst rims on the worst cars. They look at me with my 18s (non-chrome) like I am an idiot.
20sONLY BELONG ON BIG BODY EXPENSIVE CARS OR TRUCKS.

I've seen 20s on damn near anything. List is too long.

The other thing is, cars are so much bigger now, you can fit 20s are less expensive cars. The new Altima can fit 20s. I am sure the Maxima and new Accord can too. Cars are getting bigger with bigger diameter wheels standard. Take a new Maxima, 18s on the SE. Say you got plus 3 (+3), your gonna have an idiot with 21" rims just cause they fit.

It doesn't matter. Those that know, know. I've gotten way more compliments on my WEDS, then when I had 18" chrome.

I think chrome is cool, 20s are cool on the right cars (GS, LS, SC, S-class, Jags, 7s etc).
Old 04-27-03, 08:34 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

1SICK-You said it perfectly!! Just because you can SQUEEZE some 20s on your car, does not mean you should. I was telling my friend the other day, I could probably SQUEEZE my 6'4" 195lb frame in that green Versace dress that JLo wore. BUT THAT DOES NOT MEAN I SHOULD!!!!

Brand Equity and model are factors that should determine whether or not you mount 20s. bottom line 95 Ford Taurus-NO DUBS

I know it must be real tough for you in atl, home of the dubs, and deuce deuces!!
Old 04-27-03, 06:21 PM
legendary
Racer

I agree wholeheartedly.....that is just ANOTHER reason to take your time and get the RIGHT wheel so us enthusiasts don't happen to run into you and say, "wow, that guy has some ugly cheap knock off wheels!"

I am glad I found this forum, I learned so much.
I will not reveal what I am getting...but I guarantee you will love it....
Old 04-27-03, 07:16 PM
LexFather

I will not reveal what I am getting...but I guarantee you will love it
Not a hint? you can tell, c;mon
Old 04-27-03, 07:32 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

iknowiknowiknow!!!!! He's gonna get these in 20"!!!

"GO......GO......GO.......GO......GO, GO LEGEND, ITS YA BIRTHDAY!!!

LOL

http://www.superbuytires.com/wheels_...odel=Biohazard
Old 04-27-03, 07:34 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Hey Legend, I'ma have to one up you on the bling factor, so I'ma get these in 22" and cut my fenders off!!!

http://www.superbuytires.com/wheels_...model=Hypnotic

Old 04-27-03, 07:43 PM
legendary
Racer

ooooooooooooooooooooooooh yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuckkkkkkkkkk

No guys, nOTATALL!

lol...ok......I will give you a hint.....
19x8.5 and 19x9.5 or 19x10...in brushed aluminum....and they don' t spin

You should let me get that GS from you DGOT
Old 04-27-03, 08:25 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Are you serious?? My baby is not to be played with!

Quick Reply: What cars should not have 20" wheels?