Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

rubbing on 19's

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-03, 01:51 PM
Sleepyboi
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rubbing on 19's

I hope i am posting this in the rite area, if not pls move it to the appropriate place mods

anyhow, my car is dropped on l-tuned springs with stock shocks, but my rear tires rub when i go over bumps. Is this normal? btw my tire size in the rear is 275/30/19. i thought since i was going with such a conservative drop that i wasnt going to have to deal with rubbing.

Also another note, is it normal that my back end sits lower then my front? i only have like a 1 finger gap in the rear but i have a 2 finger gap in the front, and i am running slightly thicker tires in the front (245/35/19)

thanks,

-boris
Old 04-02-03, 02:28 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of wheels and what are the offsets?
Old 04-06-03, 12:51 AM
Sleepyboi
Lead Lap

im on volk III's but i have no clue wat the offset is....anyway i can find out?
Old 04-06-03, 03:31 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The problem is the offsets. What car did the Volks come off of?

As for the problem with the height adjustment...hehehe...the problem is the SPRINGS. I don't know how many times I need to say this to people, DO IT RIGHT, GET COILOVERS.

Now your only option is to do it ghetto style and cut the springs (unless you get coilovers)...without height adjustable coilovers, you are at the mercy of them manufacturer and the sag rate of the springs (which can sag at different rates)

Spend the money and do it right the first time.
Old 04-06-03, 04:24 AM
{-.-}
Lexus Champion

or you can have a shop roll out the fenders...... and your ride will still look great & stock looking.

Mine are rolled and no one knows by looking at it unless i tell them I had it done.

Good luck with what ever ever you do.........

Some folks dont have the big bucks so they get only springs.
Old 04-06-03, 05:12 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rolling or cutting fenders is option on the rubbing issue....

...but as for the gap, odd spacing never looks good. Granted, some people don't have big bucks ($1000), but then what are they doing driving a luxury car? I hear less price complaints on Honda boards! Buy the part you NEED based on the FUNCTIONALITY. Once you find that product, THEN look at how you can get it for the best price. Don't go the route of "I have $50, $5 to eat and $45 to spend on lowering my Lexus...guess I can only pay some guy to cut my stock springs..."

At any rate, springs are a low cost "entry level" solution and good enough for some people, however, when you want it done "perfectly"...as OneLove said...Perfection is worth everything.

If you pay $300 and get springs....You get whatever the manufacturer of the springs determines is a "good lowering height" and a "good spring rate" and then pray that your springs "settle" evenly. For $1000 (or thereabouts, depending on the car and coilover model you get), you get to pick your settings...

Last edited by Manaray; 04-06-03 at 05:13 AM.
Old 04-06-03, 05:26 AM
{-.-}
Lexus Champion

I agree why settle for less when you can get the BEST. It might take awhile to get what you want but when you do get it its worth the wait.

I HATE WAITING
Old 04-09-03, 11:52 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sleepyboi- These posts come up often and are often flamed. I guess a lot of people on here are into doing the right thing financially. Why spend $35,000-45,000 on a car, if you’re just getting by? I am not saying this about you, but this is the point that comes up time and time again on here, people get flamed, then people get pissed off and the thread closes. Even around where I live, most people spend piles on their car to make it look like they are a “balla” If you have kind of capital to purchase very nice luxury, you should have the financial means to back it.

Car loans are easy to get, but when you try to fill out a true assets sheet listing real estate equity, cash\savings\cd’s and stocks\mutual funds\bonds and you have literally nothing, that’s not a good sign. Although you can call your cloths, furniture and what not assets, it’s not real liquid assets so to speak. In terms of doing things right, why spend 45k on a car when you don’t have a house? Money in the bank? Any investments? Anyone can lease out a big money car for 60 months and 12k miles to get a low payment, it doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do because you can wing the payment.

If it would hurt you to spend $1000 on a mod and you have a reasonably expensive luxury car, maybe you should seek some advice from a financial planner or invest in some books.

Last edited by jpa2400; 04-09-03 at 11:53 AM.
Old 04-09-03, 12:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

sleepyboy, that has to be kirby you lent the rims to. saw your rims on his car, awesome looking. but i don't think he rubbed with your wheels? at lesat i saw in his car with your wheels and it was fine.
Old 04-09-03, 04:08 PM
Sleepyboi
Lead Lap

I just deleted my post cuz i just realized that it will probably end up becoming a flaming war. But jpa2400, i dont need a financial planner, and yes i do have money invested, I have money in my 401k, my CD's account, my IRA account, among many others. But the ironic part of you suggesting that i need a financial planner is that my working hours juss so happen to be soooo similar to that of the NYSE? I'm sorry to inform you, however your barking at the wrong guy about investments, cuz thats wat i do for a living....so if u ever want to trade any commodities or if your wondering about wat funds my firm offers...u can shoot me an email at Boris_Chang@prusec.com or you can just go to our website at www.prudential.com. All that i am saying is that, i believe i am like most people on this board. We have enough money to buy a nice car, but you cant go and spend all your money on modding your car at once. I mean if i guy myself a set of coils then i wont let myself buy other mods for my car. I mean you have to try to keep the mod bug somewhat in check somehow. But mayb i will invest in a set of coils, who knows. =)

But yea rominl kirby did borrow my rims dunno why im rubbin and he didnt. Got to find kirby now =P
Old 04-09-03, 05:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

yeah i think it's the easiest for you to just talk to him. he has tein ha so his car is definitely lower tahn yours
Old 04-09-03, 06:13 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Coilovers for sure, dump the springs. Im glad I didnt get springs because I have adjusted my car like
10 times already and I only have had my coilovers for 2 weeks. I just want the perfect fit for my car.

BTW sleepyboi, is your GS silver or gold? I think I saw you driving South on Grand in front of the new McDonalds off the corner of Grand and Valley.
Old 04-10-03, 12:09 AM
Sleepyboi
Lead Lap

My GS is White, but yea it was probably me cuz i go to cal poly so im always driving through there....
Old 04-10-03, 09:31 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,639 Posts
Default Re: rubbing on 19's

Originally posted by Sleepyboi
anyhow, my car is dropped on l-tuned springs with stock shocks, but my rear tires rub when i go over bumps. Is this normal? btw my tire size in the rear is 275/30/19. i thought since i was going with such a conservative drop that i wasnt going to have to deal with rubbing.

Also another note, is it normal that my back end sits lower then my front? i only have like a 1 finger gap in the rear but i have a 2 finger gap in the front, and i am running slightly thicker tires in the front (245/35/19)
I don't think it's the springs/shocks. I have L-Tuned setup (which I really like) and I've just upgraded to taller tires than you have on 19's (245/40-19 and 275/35-19) and I don't have any rubbing problems. Maybe my stiff TRD sway bars help too though.

To everyone saying he has to get coilovers, my high end tire/wheel shop says don't do it. For now I'm going to heed their advice. They say don't do it because a) the chance of having 'noises' from them is high as mounts/pads wear out, and b) every adjustment for things like ride height means another alignment is necessary.

But we should take the coilover discussing to a suspension forum I guess.
Old 04-10-03, 11:00 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Default Re: Re: rubbing on 19's

Originally posted by bitkahuna
I don't think it's the springs/shocks. I have L-Tuned setup (which I really like) and I've just upgraded to taller tires than you have on 19's (245/40-19 and 275/35-19) and I don't have any rubbing problems. Maybe my stiff TRD sway bars help too though.

To everyone saying he has to get coilovers, my high end tire/wheel shop says don't do it. For now I'm going to heed their advice. They say don't do it because a) the chance of having 'noises' from them is high as mounts/pads wear out, and b) every adjustment for things like ride height means another alignment is necessary.

But we should take the coilover discussing to a suspension forum I guess.
i will get it in short here:
1) i don't believe about the noise issue. if anything the stock upper mount will wear out soon or later with springs + shocks anyway. you just replace that part easy if that happens
2) if installed correctly, coilover will never ever have noise. my doesn't and a lot of guys' coilovers are as quiet as stock
3) of course if you adjust it like 2 inches in height alignment is needed. but now my height is pretty much set, even if you adjust it like 1 or 2 coils (rotation) the alignment is still there. i tried it, took it to alignment shop and found myself just wasted another 50 bucks. adjust stiffness doesn't affect alignment at all
and most of all, performance of coilover is better than springs + shocks

Quick Reply: rubbing on 19's