Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

what could have caused the INSIDE of my wheels to be bent?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-15, 11:11 AM
sarah

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default what could have caused the INSIDE of my wheels to be bent?

While getting my tires rotated and balanced at the local Costco, the tire guy told me that two of my wheels were bent. He showed the bent wheels to me. Both were bent on the INSIDE only, so I would not have noticed it standing next to the car. One wheel was clearly out of round on the inside, while the other one was out of round with a slip that was almost folded over by about 1/4 inch.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised because I did feel some vibration, which was the reason I took them in to be balanced. The tire guy did manage to balance the tires and he put the bent ones in the rears. He did say that should make the vibration less noticeable, but I should still get new wheel.

I don't recall hitting potholes or anything else that could have bent the wheels... how much force would have been necessary to make them bend on the INSIDE like that? What's even more surprising is that the tires were all perfectly fine...

Thanks!

photo below not the actual wheels, but they show almost identical damage on the inside of my actual bent wheel.
Attached Thumbnails what could have caused the INSIDE of my wheels to be bent?-bent-wheel-example.jpg   what could have caused the INSIDE of my wheels to be bent?-bent-wheels-2-.jpg  

Last edited by sarah; 07-22-15 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-22-15, 11:26 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

My old Piaa's bent like that. Potholes did it, but for certain when I had to drive over a slight curb to avoid a car on fire (directed by police), bent all four of them.

That one looks a bit more violent hit though.

Some of the pictures still work towards the bottom (more than 10 year ago)
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/the...ck-needed.html
Old 07-22-15, 11:41 AM
sarah

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
My old Piaa's bent like that. Potholes did it, but for certain when I had to drive over a slight curb to avoid a car on fire (directed by police), bent all four of them.

That one looks a bit more violent hit though.

Some of the pictures still work towards the bottom (more than 10 year ago)
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/the...ck-needed.html
sometimes I wish I still my old Jeep Wrangler with big fat tires. that thing allowed me to drive over anything without worries.