Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

What's this bulge on my tire?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-15, 06:07 PM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What's this bulge on my tire?

Hey all.

(Car is my wife's F30)

Just got summer wheels/tires installed and noticed this bulge on front left tire. Tires are stock RF Pirelli PZero. I'm getting all tires changed because they're worn out, but I'm wondering how this could have happened and how dangerous it is? Rim is perfectly fine and never got hit, and tire thread at the bulge is normal (as worn out as the rest of the tire). Driving isn't wobbly, you can't feel anything... Is this a matter of "don't drive the car anymore until it's fixed"?

Thanks!

Old 04-13-15, 06:18 AM
Theo@TireRack.com
Former Sponsor

99% of the time, a bubble on the sidewall is due to impact damage. Somewhere along the line in that tire's life, it likely impacted a pothole or a curb, which damaged the inner liner of the tire. You're not typically going to see any damage to the wheel- something had to give, and in this instance it was the tire. Often you won't see any damage to the outside of the tire, either, but in this instance there is definitely some cracking on the sidewall about halfway between the wheel and the shoulder. That bulge is a weak spot on the tire, and at some point it will fail. I would not recommend driving the vehicle until that tire is removed from service.

Old 04-13-15, 03:05 PM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Thanks Theo. You got some killer deals on TireRack... If it wasn't for the current USD-CAD exchange rates and horrendous shipping and custom charges, I would buy from you :/