Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Help with fixing a wheel.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-03, 07:47 PM
DeniskaGS4
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with fixing a wheel.

I posted this on another thread but did not get any straight answers. Last year I bent one of my lowenharts.. I had the wheels fixed about 2 months ago. The lip was damaged and was banged out but never rechromed.. When I picked them up they looked good but after a month or so the chrome started to peal. I was always under impression that all lips on lowenharts are ionzied and not chrome, but thats clearly not the case with my wheels. Can anyone tell me why?? I will be purchsing a 5th wheel for backup and would like to get the damaged wheel fixed. I am looking for a shop that can take these wheels apart, chrome the lip and put them back together. I dont want to chrome the entire wheel. Does anyone know a place that can do this. I can ship them out anywhere. Also can I take these wheels apart myself send the lip to get rechromed and then seal it back up with silicone and put them back together. Can I do this myself? I am hoping some of you wheels experts will have some straight answer for me . Thanks again for your help.
Old 03-08-03, 10:36 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wheel america has ads in the back of many car magazines..and they have shope across the US that you can send your wheel for repair..

on JDM wheels, chrome spoke/face should have chrome lips..and polish face will have polish lips
Old 03-09-03, 11:48 PM
DeniskaGS4
Pole Position

Another question I have is that yesterday I figured out one of my wheels is bent. Same wheel I repaired 2 months ago bent again on the sime spot. No I have a problem I got 2 wheels one bent on the inside and the 2nd wheel with a repaired lip thats peeling. Now my question is instead of replacing the 2 wheels can I take the lip from the first wheel since its perfect and take the inside from my 2nd wheel and put them together. That way I get a prefect wheel without buying an extra one. Can I do this myself... Can a shop do this for me... ??????
Old 03-10-03, 02:15 PM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you aren't going to be able to do it yourself properly at home. its a job done by those in the industry, cause its more than the bolts you seen on the back side.

but, i've never seen a wheel actually disassembled, so i don't know if they've been "married" to each other or not. you'll have to wait for a real expert to chime in
Old 03-10-03, 05:07 PM
DeniskaGS4
Pole Position

Yes I am hoping somone can recomend a shop that can do this for me. Doesnt sound to be hard or imposible to do but yes I want to pay somone who knows what they are doing.. If I wont get some answers I guess I will just buy 2 new wheels next month. All my wheels where 8.5 now that I am getting 2 new ones should I get 9.5 in the back and get 2 new tires since I am buying new ones any way? Any advice??