Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

TPMS : please enlighten me!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-14, 08:53 PM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default TPMS : please enlighten me!

Hi all.

I'm currently shopping for a set of wheels/tires for my 3IS. This is my first car with TPMS so I'm a bit confused.

First, can I drive without them, even if it means a dash light on? As long as it's not flashing or beeping or it's not overriding other important signals, I'm OK with that.
My plan is to buy online and have the tires mounted and TPMS installed (probably some generic, blank TPMS). Once I receive my set, can I take it to my local tire shop or dealership and have them program the TPMS? And do I have to do this every time I switch between winter and summer wheels?
Anything else a noob should know? I don't want to regret my decisions!

Thanks!
Old 11-04-14, 11:19 AM
AJ@TireRack.com
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will the car function without TPMS, yes. As you stated, you will have the light on the dash board pertinently on because the computer is searching for a sensor. SOME VEHICLES will not allow you to turn off the traction control without the TPMS because the TPMS is also measuring tire RPM.

Not all TPMS systems will fit in every wheel. Make sure whoever you buy your wheel though offers the proper sensor or can tell you that the factory sensor will in fact work with the wheel.

Any wheel found on our website will accept the factory TPMS sensor. We offer factory TPMS sensors for $51each.

Most garages now have the tools/computer to trigger new TPMS sensors to the vehicle. Worse case, a visit to the dealership will be required to trigger the new TPMS system to the vehicle. This will have to be performed every time you swap wheels/sensors, unless you clone your factory sensors.

Hopefully this helps.

-AJ
Old 11-04-14, 08:41 PM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks AJ. If I buy factory sensors, can they be cloned? Or do I have to buy "blank" / "generic" sensors to do so?
I've been told by the dealership that I have to reprogram my sensors everytime I switch sets... I'd like to avoid that.
Old 11-05-14, 05:03 AM
AJ@TireRack.com
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We no longer offer clonable TPMS sensors. Factory sensors can not be cloned, to my knowledge.