Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Big Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-03, 04:48 PM
Yankees Diva
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Big Problem

I blew out my left fron tire the other night going up a hill in the snow and it was dark.........i "thought" i hit a pothole and i called roadside assistance to have someone come out and change the tire....they put on my spare no problems. on the drive home i felt a trembling in my steering wheel so the next day my father decided to take it to some schmuck garage that he gets cheap oil changes at to see what an estimate for a new tire and if the rim was damaged and what the cause of the trembling was. first he said that my tire was Sliced and not blown out then he said the cause for the trembling is because the tires that are Stock on my 99 GS400 (17'/ yoko's) are directional tires and the spare (which is not a yoko) is an all around tire.....then he tried to tell my dad that it would cost 350$ for a new tire and its not even a yoko... i found this to be BS and now im quite pissed off about it so my dad left and asked me if he should get the tire i said no and that i would shop around....i dont understand all this.....tires are not of my biggest interest on my car but at this point in time they are, so im just wondering if someone could explain all this to me and give me the best advice and places and actual prices for all this....i also dont know if my rim is damaged im finding that out on mon. but i might be replacing that as well..... so let me know if you guys know anything ...all info is appreciated.

~ Stella
Old 03-01-03, 05:27 PM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

$350 is entirely too much. I see your in Central NJ. Contact me for a good place to get this all taken care of. No need for fellow members to get ripped!

-Anthony
Old 03-01-03, 06:24 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would take it to the dealer, or a good tyre shop for further inspection on the tyre and wheel..using the spare which is non-directional should not make that BIG of a noise...and $350 can get you 3 of good 235/45/17 ZR tyres...NOT ONE
Old 03-04-03, 10:25 AM
Yankees Diva
Lexus Test Driver

thanks guys.......does anyone else have anymore suggestions though??
Old 03-04-03, 12:46 PM
XxLS400xX
Driver

i have a couzin that owns a tire shop in New Brunswick...he can hook you up...pm for number and address.
Old 03-04-03, 08:52 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If I understand this correctly, its your spare tire that is making the car "tremble". If this is the case, it could be something as simple as the spare tire not being balanced properly(this would cost around $15 to fix). Another option could be your spare tire rim being bent, which wont be fixed by putting on a new tire, but also can be fixed (anywhere from $50 to $100). I can almost positively say that its not because your spare tire isnt a directional tire, and there isnt a tire out there for a stock GS fitment that should be anywhere near that rediculous price they quoted your pops.

Step 1: Go to another shop, this guy is an opportunist that is trying to rip you off
Step 2: Take the spare to a tire shop to have them spin it, this will let you know both if the tire isnt balanced properly, and if the rim is bent.

Were they going to put the new tire on the spare rim, or the rim that you had the blow out on?

Step 3: If they were going to put it on the spare to have directionals all around, why? Put a new tire on the one you blew out, and throw the spare back in the trunk. Its only on in emergency sitautions anyhow.

I would venture to bet your spare is out of balance. This exact same thing happened to me last week, the spare was out of balance.

Good Luck!
Old 03-04-03, 09:40 PM
Yankees Diva
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you TTurbopimp....my other idea was to find a used tire only cuz or replace all 5 and sell this set b/c if i buy a new tire as it wears it will wear half way of what the other ones will be then i will be replacing 3 and not 4 and in the long run this might be cheaper.. but if not then i will just buy another tire and throw that spare bak in the trunk. thanks again.

more thoughts appreciated

Stella
Old 03-05-03, 08:00 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I wouldnt by a used tire if it were my car. You never know what the deal is with a used tire, even if it looks good. If you buy a tire that was on a car that wasnt balanced or aligned correctly, you could be buying a tire that is worn unevenly already(wavy). This will re**** in exactly the same problem you have now, the tire will make the car shake just like an out of balanced rim/tire would. Go buy a new tire, put it in the back and make it catch up to the others. If you drive like me it wont take long!!

Hmmm, I cant quite figure out why the word result is *** out!! Damn, its strict here!!!

Last edited by TTurboPimp; 03-05-03 at 08:01 PM.
Old 03-05-03, 08:42 PM
Yankees Diva
Lexus Test Driver

lol ok thanks..... i found out today that my spare is bent so thats going in the garbage and my other rim is takin my spare tire till i can buy a new set now......so if you know anyone selling stock 17' alloy rims for the GS400 i will gladly take them off there hands.....this set will just be back up now since its so screwed up......thanks again guys.

~Stella
Old 03-05-03, 08:48 PM
dagr8tsthustla
Lexus Test Driver

Check the wheels classified section..I think that there are a couple of sets floating around..
Old 03-06-03, 07:20 AM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Happy to see you found out what the problem was.. Whatever happened with the shop that tried to jack you for the tire? Personally I go to Town Fair Tire out over here in CT and they always hook me up.. That $350. that he wanted to charge you, I got my 275X30X20 for that price and they were Toyo's.. Tell that guy to shove that tire up his crack. Anotherthing you can always go to "Tirerack.com" get what you need and have the dealer mount it for you..
Old 03-06-03, 09:51 AM
Yankees Diva
Lexus Test Driver

that guy that tried to rip off my dad i made him call him bak so i could give him a piece of my mind and the guy then claimed he read it wrong......but he wanted to charge me $176 for another one of my SPARE tires.. i was like i dont need another spare i need a new tire. to bad you dont pay attention to details to well,my business has gone elsewhere and thank you ::click:: ......so i duno if you remember me posting when i first got my car i had that sterring wheel problem then too. well apparently the j***offs that sold the car to me (some schmuck dealership) when they said they would fix the problem since they sold the car to him that way, switched the rims.....i guess they figured i wouldnt use my spare for a long time so i wouldnt find out......well i did but im not even gonna bother with the dealership. so now im just lookin for a new stock set. ive been lookin on club lexus i found one but im still looking. if you know anyone that wants to get rid of theres let me know and thanks for all your help guys.

~stella
Old 03-06-03, 09:37 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

That sucks.. Sorry to hear about them fools trying to take advantage of you.. If your intersted I have a set of stock Graphite 16's that came off my SportDesign..
Old 03-06-03, 09:54 PM
stelios
Rookie

Go to a goodyear shop or ganin shop they are all over the tri state they will be able to take care of you the right way.
Old 03-08-03, 02:17 PM
Yankees Diva
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by MrSypher
That sucks.. Sorry to hear about them fools trying to take advantage of you.. If your intersted I have a set of stock Graphite 16's that came off my SportDesign..

thanks for the offer but i wanna keep 17's on the car. im tryin to get a 02' set of stock silver GS430 wheels from this guy for 1000$. do you think thats a good price with shippin included?? so its kinda of an upgrad for my car and it takes care of my problem.

thoughts~

Stella

Quick Reply: Big Problem