Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Recommendations for snow tires (RWD)

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-14, 01:02 PM
dtl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommendations for snow tires (RWD)

Hey guys,

I know most of you from cold climates hate to hear this but winter is coming soon. This means it's time for some drifting and sliding on the roads. I'm looking at buying some winter tires for my IS250 that's RWD, based on the recommendations that I will need them in the Illinois snow.

My main concern is what size should I get them? I've heard that you shouldn't go less than 17" on the IS250, but then again I know that some models came from the factory in 16", unless they have different specs?

I found a set of 215/65R16 Bridgestone Blizzak's on steelies. I am only looking for Blizzak's since they have excellent reviews. I'm just making sure they will not damage my suspension too much, or none at all?

Please, please, PLEASE all the Canadian people chime in! I spent some time in Ontario so I know everyone drives with winter tires!

Last edited by dtl; 09-15-14 at 01:10 PM.
Old 09-15-14, 01:04 PM
NikonGuy
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm also interested in these. Have 17" IS300 wheels for winter so looking at 205/50/17. I guess Bilzzaks are the preferred tires?
Old 09-15-14, 01:06 PM
dtl
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NikonGuy
I'm also interested in these. Have 17" IS300 wheels for winter so looking at 205/50/17. I guess Bilzzaks are the preferred tires?
All my friends who have a winter setup say Blizzaks are the best tires. Plus, the reviews speak for themselves
Old 09-15-14, 01:16 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

I run the oem 18 with 225/45 all around on blizzak . Narrow width better winter traction. Mine one set last me 4 season with rotating then every year. But learn how your car behaves in snow also helps. Hope you at least have an 07-up IS otherwise it a pain to turn traction off for winter time. Most people don't but I do cause it doesn't cut power to the rear wheel if your spinning stuck.

Last edited by laobo979; 09-15-14 at 01:27 PM.
Old 09-15-14, 01:18 PM
dtl
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by laobo979
I run the oem 18 with 225/45 all around on blizzak . Narrow width better winter traction. Mine one set last me 4 season with rotating then every year. But learn to your car behaves in snow also helps. Hope you at least have an 07-up IS otherwise it a pain to turn traction off for winter time. Most people don't buy I do cause it doesn't cut power to the rear wheel if your spinning stuck.
Yep, have a 2008, no need to pedal dance.

Last edited by dtl; 09-15-14 at 02:27 PM.
Old 09-15-14, 03:21 PM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm a certifiable tire snob from the home of the "Greatest Snow on Earth", I'll chime in. Three pieces of advice:

1. Don't worry about the size of the wheel. The only thing wrong with 16" wheels on an IS250 is that they may insult some people's sense of fashion. Fashion won't keep you from sliding off the road. If you can get your hands on some 16" wheels that will work (keeping in mind that every 16" steelie may not work on the car), go with it, you'll save $$.

2. Don't get bent on having to have a set of Blizzaks. In Europe most countries require winter tires by law, there is a magazine from Sweden (I think?) that does a winter tire test every year (I need to try and look up last year's test and post a link here). While Blizzaks always do well, they aren't the winners year in and year out. Bridgestone also seems to change models really often, and that may or may not be a good thing. I looked at a set of WS70 last year (which a-lot of people thought were inferior to the WS60), and it looks like there is a WS80 now. Nokian always does well, and the Michelin X-ice won the non-studded category last year, and also happen to have a great treadwear warranty. You may also want to consider studded tires.

3. Buy early, especially if you ignore #1. Tire manufacturers only make what they know they can sell every winter, so if you wait until the middle of November (like I did last winter!) you won't get what you want. Start looking for pre-season sales soon.

Based on price vs performance I wanted a set of Blizzaks, but ended up with a set of Michelin X-Ice Xi3 sized 225/50-70 last winter. I'm pretty happy with them, but driving a RWD car with an open diff means that you still have to pay attention and be careful. I can't get away with near the shenanigans I used to pull in a FWD car with snow tires. Next time around I'm thinking about studded.
Old 09-15-14, 04:13 PM
dtl
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by WylieKylie
I'm a certifiable tire snob from the home of the "Greatest Snow on Earth", I'll chime in. Three pieces of advice:

1. Don't worry about the size of the wheel. The only thing wrong with 16" wheels on an IS250 is that they may insult some people's sense of fashion. Fashion won't keep you from sliding off the road. If you can get your hands on some 16" wheels that will work (keeping in mind that every 16" steelie may not work on the car), go with it, you'll save $$.

2. Don't get bent on having to have a set of Blizzaks. In Europe most countries require winter tires by law, there is a magazine from Sweden (I think?) that does a winter tire test every year (I need to try and look up last year's test and post a link here). While Blizzaks always do well, they aren't the winners year in and year out. Bridgestone also seems to change models really often, and that may or may not be a good thing. I looked at a set of WS70 last year (which a-lot of people thought were inferior to the WS60), and it looks like there is a WS80 now. Nokian always does well, and the Michelin X-ice won the non-studded category last year, and also happen to have a great treadwear warranty. You may also want to consider studded tires.

3. Buy early, especially if you ignore #1. Tire manufacturers only make what they know they can sell every winter, so if you wait until the middle of November (like I did last winter!) you won't get what you want. Start looking for pre-season sales soon.

Based on price vs performance I wanted a set of Blizzaks, but ended up with a set of Michelin X-Ice Xi3 sized 225/50-70 last winter. I'm pretty happy with them, but driving a RWD car with an open diff means that you still have to pay attention and be careful. I can't get away with near the shenanigans I used to pull in a FWD car with snow tires. Next time around I'm thinking about studded.
Thanks WylieKylie, you have some good information here. I'll look into other tires but when it comes to these things, I usually go for the one that's the best. Not saying X-ice isn't (will look into other brands as well now).

And yes, never wait until it's already snowing. That is why I'm trying to buy the tires now!
Old 09-16-14, 08:44 AM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Ok, so from my #2 above, I was wrong, the magazine is from Finland, here is a link to the tire test: http://www.aveq.ca/uploads/9/3/4/2/9...d_r_review.pdf
At any rate the folks from the Nordic countries in Europe take winter tires seriously, so these tests are informative even though not all of the tires are available in North America.
Old 09-16-14, 11:16 AM
scott1256c
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whatever you get, make sure you try a little driving with traction control off. I really disliked winter driving until I did. I couldn't believe it would improve the driving much, but it did. In practically all situations (at least for me). BTW, I'm running blizzak 225/17. Tread is getting a little thin and I'll probably buy new ones next year (maybe not blizzak, haven't given it much thought yet).
You may prefer the handling/starts with traction control on, but I sure didn't.
Old 09-16-14, 12:05 PM
AJ@TireRack.com
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by WylieKylie

Lots of great info! Thank you

A few things.

1) Dont worry about size, but get what is proper. When searching on our website in the winter section by correct year, make and model, what you see is a guaranteed fit. SEARCH HERE

2) The WS70 was around for several years, unchanged. Technology changes and so should tires to suit. Having just tested the new WS80 on the ice rink, I can tell you that nothing currently compares to it and it is in a league of its own. The WS80 is far superior to the xice tire from Michelin. See the initial review here. Having tested everything here, the Blizzak tire is what I use on my own personal vehicles for winter use. The Michelin xice is good, but generally costs more and the benefit will be a better ride quality. To some, that is important, but the biggest factor when buying winter tires is traction. In that regard, the Blizzak wins when comparing traction for dollar.

Regarding studded tires; Studless Ice and Snow tires (like the Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 and Michelin X-ice) perform better. Here is some info regarding studded winter tires.

3) Buy early, correct. People think they are crazy for buying winter product now. (Aug/Sept time) The benefit to buying now is that you get what you want, not what is left over. Last year, popular fitments sold out very fast. Winter tire production is limited.

I have tried to compile some information here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/the...nd-wheels.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/the...w-and-ice.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/the...r-driving.html

If I can be any further help, please let me know.

-and here is a behind the scenes photo from ice rink testing a few weeks ago
Attached Thumbnails Recommendations for snow tires (RWD)-ice-testing.jpg  
Old 09-16-14, 04:20 PM
dtl
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AJ@TireRack.com
Lots of great info! Thank you

A few things.

1) Dont worry about size, but get what is proper. When searching on our website in the winter section by correct year, make and model, what you see is a guaranteed fit. SEARCH HERE

2) The WS70 was around for several years, unchanged. Technology changes and so should tires to suit. Having just tested the new WS80 on the ice rink, I can tell you that nothing currently compares to it and it is in a league of its own. The WS80 is far superior to the xice tire from Michelin. See the initial review here. Having tested everything here, the Blizzak tire is what I use on my own personal vehicles for winter use. The Michelin xice is good, but generally costs more and the benefit will be a better ride quality. To some, that is important, but the biggest factor when buying winter tires is traction. In that regard, the Blizzak wins when comparing traction for dollar.

Regarding studded tires; Studless Ice and Snow tires (like the Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 and Michelin X-ice) perform better. Here is some info regarding studded winter tires.

3) Buy early, correct. People think they are crazy for buying winter product now. (Aug/Sept time) The benefit to buying now is that you get what you want, not what is left over. Last year, popular fitments sold out very fast. Winter tire production is limited.

I have tried to compile some information here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/the...nd-wheels.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/the...w-and-ice.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/the...r-driving.html

If I can be any further help, please let me know.

-and here is a behind the scenes photo from ice rink testing a few weeks ago
Awesome comments, AJ! You really went above and beyond trying to get information. I was actually about to buy a set of tires and wheels on tirerack but I changed my mind at the last minute.

My main issue is when I search a 2008 Lexus IS250, they don't come with steel wheels for the "winter package". I'd prefer those, but I'm guessing they don't make them in 17" size. So I just searched for a car the I know will have a 16" package with steel wheels (215/60R16 tire with 16x6.5, with a 5x114.3 bolt pattern and 60.1mm center bore. Same specs as the IS250)

I'm still debating whether I should buy these brand new, around $630 with rebate I think? Or get a set of Blizzak WS70's off craigslist with steel wheels and nice thread for $350, (based off the pictures the rims do have some curb rash, nothing major though).

Also, if I do get them on TireRack I'm torn between getting the new Blizzak WS80's or the X-Ice Xi3, but it's only a $1 difference per tire so it's a hard decision

Oh and by the way, if I buy them I would prefer to pick them up from the warehouse in Indiana. I know if I do that I won't be charged for shipping, but will I still need to pay tax (I live in Illinois)?

Last edited by dtl; 09-16-14 at 04:26 PM.
Old 09-16-14, 04:49 PM
AJ@TireRack.com
Former Sponsor

If you buy the tire for traction, the WS80 will be much better. You can see from the link I posted, the stopping distance to the xice is almost a 10ft difference. (that is about 3/4 car length)

Regarding a purchase, if you pick up in South Bend, Indiana, you would pay sales tax of 7% but no shipping. If I ship, there will be shipping but no sales tax collected. Sometimes, the difference isn't that great between the two. We are right off of I80/Indiana Toll Road. It is about an hour and 45min from downtown Chicago for an idea of where we are located.

I do not foresee us getting steel wheels for a IS vehicle.
Old 09-17-14, 09:42 AM
dtl
Driver School Candidate

Would a tire that is 225/65R17 have too big of a sidewall and cause rubbing?

Last edited by dtl; 09-17-14 at 09:53 AM.
Old 09-17-14, 10:12 AM
AJ@TireRack.com
Former Sponsor

Yes, that would be much larger than our recommendation.

By much larger, I am saying the largest we recommend (and for rear only) has a diameter of 26" and 225/65/17 has a diameter of 28.5". So 2.5" difference.

Last edited by AJ@TireRack.com; 09-17-14 at 12:08 PM.
Old 09-24-14, 09:19 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm in Chicago and drove my IS350 in the snow the last 4 winters with the stock 18's. Personally, I cannot tell the difference between any snow tires I've had. The car came with Blizzak LM25's with 8-9/32nds. The traction was alright but decided to drive them year around to wear them out. Next winter, got a good deal on MZ03's which are narrower. Couldn't tell the difference. Then got nails in the rears so I decided to replace all 4 with new Nankang snow tires. Performed just as well as the Blizzaks in my opinion, they probably aren't as good if you really push them to the limits but they perform very well for how much they cost. This season had a lot of snow and got stuck a few times. Got new LM60's for the rear. Made no difference, still got stuck just as often, had trouble accelerating, and fishtailed as soon as I lightly hit the gas.

Having an LSD would be really good for the snow. My coworker had DWS tires on his G35S and had less problems than me with my snow tires. I keep getting power to one wheel, the wheel that has the least traction.

Quick Reply: Recommendations for snow tires (RWD)