Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Custom Lexus Center Caps

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-14, 11:21 AM
SteveMason
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Custom Lexus Center Caps

I own a 2012 Lexus CT200h and wanted to get 18" rims on the car. I am not a fan of the whole "after market" look however and and wanted to try and make it look as if it was still Lexus. The CT has a bolt pattern of 5x100, so it is not comparable with any other Lexus wheel and I was not about to get a bolt pattern adapter because I have heard bad things about them.

I ended up choosing The Niche M129 in gun metal grey because I found that it looked something like the LFA rims, however I could order it for my exact specifications, and it was an affordable price.

The problem was of course the center cap, in getting that "stock look." I ended up just going out on a limb, and ordering OEM Lexus center caps made for the gun metal F sport rims, hoping they would fit... but they didn't. They were 62mm in diameter, about 5mm too small.

The following pictures show how I removed the logo from the OEM caps, and reattached them to the larger aftermarket caps using standard automotive double sided tape.

Last edited by SteveMason; 08-02-14 at 11:27 AM.
Old 08-02-14, 11:35 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Looks great!
Old 10-07-14, 06:01 PM
fng
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks awesome! Love that color scheme.

How did you remove the OEM logo from the backside of the oem cap?

I mean, I see the picture where it looks as if the logo is magically disconnected and levitating above the oem backside haha but what happened leading up to that??

Thanks!
Old 01-13-15, 08:13 PM
SteveMason
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by fng
Looks awesome! Love that color scheme.

How did you remove the OEM logo from the backside of the oem cap?

I mean, I see the picture where it looks as if the logo is magically disconnected and levitating above the oem backside haha but what happened leading up to that??

Thanks!
Sorry I didn't see this question until now(months later)

All you do to remove the Oem logo is the same way you de-badge a car. You apply a heat gun on a low setting (or hair dryer like I used) and then pry it off with a some sort of knife or hard edge. You will still have sticky stuff on it after so just use a solvent to remove it (I use WD40 which is a great solvent.) just make sure to clean off the solvent with soap before you apply the double sided automotive tape (found in any auto parts store that is made for attaching anything from spoilers to badges.)

*Update*
I have had the center caps on for about 6 months now and there have been no problems at all. They are on there just as firm as ever.
Old 03-02-15, 03:37 PM
JLeroy
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the info Steve.
Note: that there is only a thin layer of black paint on the back of logo piece so be careful removing them, otherwise you can easily scratch it and you will see these scratches from the front side. I had to use black sharpie on one to cover up a couple of scratches, and used epoxy to fasten them to the old center caps.
Attached Thumbnails Custom Lexus Center Caps-imag3193-2-1-1.jpg   Custom Lexus Center Caps-imag3201-1.jpg   Custom Lexus Center Caps-imag3202-1.jpg   Custom Lexus Center Caps-imag3197-1.jpg