Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Wax On Chrome??

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-03, 12:02 PM
XxLS400xX
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wax On Chrome??

I have a set of chrome wheels, i read people putting wax on their rims for protection. What brand wax should i use and how much should i put for how long?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-17-03, 02:34 PM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don't use the cheap stuff like turtle wax for rims. go with something good like a Zaino(online), klasse "sealant glaze," or a good mothers wax will even do.

as for how long, its one of those individualized answers. once every two months is good or even monthly if you're a heavy user of those rims.
Old 02-17-03, 03:54 PM
XxLS400xX
Driver

Originally posted by bravo261
don't use the cheap stuff like turtle wax for rims. go with something good like a Zaino(online), klasse "sealant glaze," or a good mothers wax will even do.

as for how long, its one of those individualized answers. once every two months is good or even monthly if you're a heavy user of those rims.
so i can use body wax on my rims?
i am going to buy the 3step meiguars, should i do the 3 steps with my chromies also? or just put on the wax?
Old 02-17-03, 08:29 PM
Stealther
Lead Lap

Just the wax!

The other two steps you are talking about are:

1. Cleaner (abrasives)
2. Polish (swirl remover, basically oils to darken scratches and make them less noticeable)

Use a good chrome/metal polish to get a nice shine and remove hard water spots then follow it with a good quality pure wax (not a cleaner wax).
Old 05-26-03, 11:00 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Stealther
Just the wax!

The other two steps you are talking about are:

1. Cleaner (abrasives)
2. Polish (swirl remover, basically oils to darken scratches and make them less noticeable)

Use a good chrome/metal polish to get a nice shine and remove hard water spots then follow it with a good quality pure wax (not a cleaner wax).
I thought'd I'd revive this thread to get some answers since they're weren't too many in the first place.

SO, just the wax?

I am considering some Blitz wax, and only the wax, for a little protection for my centers & lips.
Old 05-26-03, 03:52 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

yeah, I would like to know too.. I need my lips to gleam..
Old 05-26-03, 04:04 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

LOL - try Blistex

I spent a couple hours on my car today after all the rain and crap we had this weekend. I wanted to get some kind of protection on there as soon as possible, especially after seeing all the gra-due on the new toys.

I cleaned them with standard car wash soap (Meguiars Gold), dried thoughrouly (which can be a pain since the water tends to pool, and pool, and pool, at the bottom of the lips. ).

I used "One Grand Blitz Carnuba Wax ". No abrasives or cleaners in this wax, which is my primary reason for using it. I gently applied with a thin cotton rag wrapped around my fingers, then buffed off with another cotton rag. Piece of cake.

The ultimate Carnauba paste wax that works equally well on all paint colors and types of paint. Produces a deep, durable, "wet look" shine that protects the paint against harmful elements. Blitz contains no cleaners or abrasives. It is easy to apply and easy to remove, yet long lasting.

Blitz is the easiest to apply and remove wax we have ever found. You may layer several coats (a week apart) for an even deeper shine. (Our favorite wax for a daily driver.)
http://www.carcareonline.com/detail....oduct_id=10202
Old 05-26-03, 04:11 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Sounds good...
Hey Dex with your rims, do you get a pool in the inside of the rims too?? On my Rezax's I get the pool inside and outside.. And man it's a pain in the butt to get rid of.. And when I'm lazy and I just leave it (inside pool) it just stays there and collects dirt untill it dries... And after the inner wheels are nasty looking...

Last edited by MrSypher; 05-26-03 at 04:12 PM.
Old 05-26-03, 05:10 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by MrSypher
Sounds good...
Hey Dex with your rims, do you get a pool in the inside of the rims too?? On my Rezax's I get the pool inside and outside.. And man it's a pain in the butt to get rid of.. And when I'm lazy and I just leave it (inside pool) it just stays there and collects dirt untill it dries... And after the inner wheels are nasty looking...
I don't get pools on both sides of the wheel face, thought I understand what you are talking about. The backsides though are nearly impossible to clean, and I usually don't even attempt to clean them, but I may institute a pracetice of taking the wheels off a couple times a year and doing a 'backside' cleaning.
Old 05-26-03, 08:05 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah, FutureGS and I just took all my wheels off yeasturday and cleaned both sides.. You really need to do it often if you don't want dirt to set in.. I mean we scrubed the crap out of them and they're still not perfect...
Old 05-26-03, 08:12 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by MrSypher
Yeah, FutureGS and I just took all my wheels off yeasturday and cleaned both sides.. You really need to do it often if you don't want dirt to set in.. I mean we scrubed the crap out of them and they're still not perfect...
Yep, makes sense - thanks for the heads up. I want to pamper the babies!

What did you guys use (cleaning agent) to scrub them? Ajax / Comet type stuff? On the backside, there wouldn't be as much a need to worry about damaging the finish. (unfinished aluminum?)