Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Moved from Cali to Illinois - need new tires?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-13, 01:23 PM
maz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moved from Cali to Illinois - need new tires?

I moved from California to Illinois and I've had some trouble driving in the snow. My traction control and VDIM system has been kicking in a lot lately on these slippery roads and sometimes I can barely move when the roads are snowy and slippery. I have the stock tires on and they have very little thread left. Going up a snowy road takes a while sometimes. I think it's time I replaced the tires with some new all seasons. What kind of tires do you guys recommend? And where to purchase them for a good deal?
Old 12-14-13, 02:03 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Whatever you get it should be better than the crappy Turanza ER33's. I never replaced mine with another all-season set of All-Seasons, but the Yokahama S.Drives, Hankook V12s, Falken 452s and Potenza RE760s Ive used have all been solid choices
Old 12-14-13, 02:30 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you should probably get a second set of rims and put some dedicated snow tires on them if you are living somewhere where there is that much snow and ice, its best to get some.
Old 12-14-13, 02:51 PM
maz
Lead Lap

I don't need dedicated snow tires. I just need some all seasons with decent snow performance. I am leaning towards the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3.
Old 12-14-13, 03:03 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by maz
I don't need dedicated snow tires. I just need some all seasons with decent snow performance. I am leaning towards the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3.
Good luck with that if you don't get stuck when it's really snow. Your slipping is no grip in which snow tires will improve 100%. Only way you can drive in snow/ice road are too put on snow tires,turn traction off and vsc off. Other wise your car gonna crawl across street and hope not to get hit.

Last edited by laobo979; 12-14-13 at 03:37 PM.
Old 12-14-13, 03:34 PM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The best AS tires for winter are Continental DWS
Old 12-14-13, 04:05 PM
Raybean
Pole Position

the key words here is "very little thread left" so you tell me. I have the continental extremecontact dws on both my cars. Very good tires
Old 12-14-13, 04:48 PM
DeanIS
Rookie

If your car is RWD. Do yourself a favor and get some dedicated winter tires before you have a claim with your insurance company.
Old 12-14-13, 05:56 PM
maz
Lead Lap

The reason why I don't need snow tires is because most of my driving is to places very close by (less than 2 miles) and the area in which I am in is pretty good about plowing and salting the roads after some snow. I rarely if ever have to drive in thick snow. Getting snow tires would be overkill. I'm pretty sure a new set of AS tires will give me enough traction for most of the conditions I experience. The Continental DWS sounds like a good option and I will consider that. Thanks for your inputs.
Old 12-14-13, 06:36 PM
355F1
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by maz
An excellent choice. Although My IS is AWD, these are so awesome in the snow+ice.

I'm on my third set, getting about 38k out of each set.
Old 12-14-13, 09:04 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have an IS350 RWD and it's a MUST to have snow tires here in Chicago where I live. Today, it snowed a few inches and I made it around quite easily with my snow tires. They have 9/32nds left and my Traction light came on maybe two times in the 5 mile drive I did today in the snow. My summer tires on my rims couldn't make it through half an inch of snow. If you do get all-seasons, the Continental DWS tires are the best.
Old 12-14-13, 11:37 PM
po1qw
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Get dedicated snow tires bro, today my 250 AWD did a 360 circle when i ripped a right turn too fast... you will never know luck was on my side today because the street i slid on was huge and I reacted quick. I had my Potenzas on but they were the Summer tires and it really makes me think to put all season on my car after todays experience.
I never seen so many tow cars on the road besides today crazy weather..mother nature YOU scary!
Old 12-15-13, 02:12 AM
08is350x
Driver School Candidate

Yea I recommend getting snow tires too I have them on my is350 and got around pretty easy today in the few inches that we got. Last year I didn't have them and I could barely drive my car in an inch of snow so if u plan on staying in Illinois for a while and don't have another car definitely consider getting a set of winter tires.
Old 12-17-13, 01:32 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by maz
The reason why I don't need snow tires is because most of my driving is to places very close by (less than 2 miles) and the area in which I am in is pretty good about plowing and salting the roads after some snow. I rarely if ever have to drive in thick snow. Getting snow tires would be overkill. I'm pretty sure a new set of AS tires will give me enough traction for most of the conditions I experience. The Continental DWS sounds like a good option and I will consider that. Thanks for your inputs.
That just means you won't have to walk very far to get home when you abandon your car on the side of the road. It snowed here in Philly 2 Sundays ago, and caught the weather forecasters by surprise (it was supposed to be a dusting). Cars with FWD and AWD were getting stuck everywhere, spinning their tires at the slightest incline. I'm sure they all had all-seasons. I saw one Benz abandoned on the shoulder of a heavily traveled state road.

I'm with you that getting a set of snows is a PITA--just do yourself a favor and stay off the road with RWD and all seasons until you know the plows have cleared the roads well.
Old 12-17-13, 01:35 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by po1qw
Get dedicated snow tires bro, today my 250 AWD did a 360 circle when i ripped a right turn too fast... you will never know luck was on my side today because the street i slid on was huge and I reacted quick. I had my Potenzas on but they were the Summer tires and it really makes me think to put all season on my car after todays experience.
I never seen so many tow cars on the road besides today crazy weather..mother nature YOU scary!
Driving around in freezing temperatures with summer tires is probably the worst thing you can do--AWD isn't going to save you from that. The rubber compound is not made for cold temps.

Quick Reply: Moved from Cali to Illinois - need new tires?