Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Noob winter tires question.

Old 12-29-13, 03:21 PM
P128sniper
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Noob winter tires question.

So I was originally planning to get a 250 AWD but decided I'm gonna go for a lower year is350 so I can keep the cost about the same right around 20k. Obviously I'm going to need winter tires for when it snows. Do u guys recommend I keep my stock rims with my stock all seasons that come with the car, and the get a set of winter tires with some cheap rims so that I don't have to pay a shop evertime to swap out the rims as well? Also around how much will a good set of winter tires cost me along with the rims for it. I want the tires to be good quality but the rims don't have to be, just to get me through winter. Will I be fine in Chicago weather if i do that? Thanks.
Old 12-29-13, 03:44 PM
SeanO
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Keep in mind you will need Tire pressure sensors no matter what you buy.. Personally i have all seasons on my stock rims (i'm driving an is250 awd though) and then i have a set of aftermarket rims i put on in the summer. I would recommend a set of steelies with a good set of winter tires for your is350. Tires can range in price from $100 for a cheap name brand all the way up to $400 for a good brand. Usually i go for a mid-grade but you can make the call yourself. Bridgestone Blizzaks are popular up here in Canada. To be honest any winter tire will be able to do you just fine.
Old 12-29-13, 03:49 PM
P128sniper
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SeanO
Keep in mind you will need Tire pressure sensors no matter what you buy.. Personally i have all seasons on my stock rims (i'm driving an is250 awd though) and then i have a set of aftermarket rims i put on in the summer. I would recommend a set of steelies with a good set of winter tires for your is350. Tires can range in price from $100 for a cheap name brand all the way up to $400 for a good brand. Usually i go for a mid-grade but you can make the call yourself. Bridgestone Blizzaks are popular up here in Canada. To be honest any winter tire will be able to do you just fine.
Tire pressure sensors? Sorry I'm a complete Noob, what is that and how much extra will that cost me, do I need it or is it optional?
Old 12-29-13, 04:22 PM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

TPMS are ~$240 new, ~$100 used on the member classifieds section. They are not optional because a warning will pop up without them.

If you don't see much snow or if your roads are plowed regularly, get set of Continental DWS tires (best all season on snow) for your OEM wheels.
Old 12-29-13, 04:53 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

You don't need the tpms if you don't care for the light that stays on. Go for 07-up so that you can keep traction off easily and vsc off. Other wise you will have to do the peddle dance everytime to turn the car off. I've run blizzak and it's my four winter on them. These run you about $700 but well worth it. I have no issues digging out of 2 foot of snow either. For the above I rather trust my life with snow tires then any all season in rwd car. It night and day with traction with tires.

Last edited by laobo979; 12-29-13 at 04:56 PM.
Old 12-29-13, 04:58 PM
P128sniper
Pole Position

Why aren't the tire sensors included with the car, I mean every is350 owner has to buy an extra $250 sensor? What am I missing. Lol. I made a deal with landlord to have dedicated space in the basement to keep extra set of tires, so I don't need all season, just the stock ones that come with the car and dedicated winter tires on extra set of rims as well. How much could that cost me total for 4 good quality snow tires and 4 rims I can use them with. For the rims I don't need anything fancy as it'll only be for about 2-3 months.
Old 12-29-13, 05:04 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Look in tire rack you might find good package deals. Other wise find cheap use oem is250/350 wheels. Your wheels do come with the sensor. But if you buy different wheel you need a second set. Other wise you keep swapping the sensor back an fourth there fore wasting more money. Once you get the second set have the dealer reprogram it as the second set.
Old 12-30-13, 09:12 AM
embolism
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say that tpms sensors are optional for winter. Would I want to drive year round without them, probably not, b/c intermittently, the check system light will come on and the chime will go off saying there is low pressure in your tires. For winter though, my second set of tires didn't have them and it's not that much of a hassle. The light only goes on after about 30 minutes and then goes off again when I warm up my car b/c my summer tires are stored in my garage close by.

if you are buying a set then order them new off ebay but from a reputable store, not one offs for sale by individuals since sometimes ppl go through dumpsters behind dealers and pick up stuff they throw out. Apparently there is a nut set that needs to be used to secure them to the inside of the rim so you need that too. They will run you $80 each at the dealer (so 4 will be $320) but prob $25 each online. Some tire places will program them as a second set for you if you buy tires from them, otherwise it's over $100 bucks at the dealer to do.

I've been really happy with my blizzak WS 70 225/45/17 and am on my third season with them. I run all 4 the same size so I can rotate. My summer tires are staggered.

Last edited by embolism; 12-30-13 at 12:50 PM. Reason: can't multiply for caca
Old 12-30-13, 10:14 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm pretty happy with my Michelin Xi3's. I bought a separate set of wheels to save on tire swapping fees. I would definitely run TPMS... but if you don't, just get in the habit of doing a quick walk around of your car to check the tires before you start the car.
Old 12-30-13, 01:41 PM
NickTomsyc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I owned an IS250 awd and sold it for a IS350 RWD.
Snow tires are needed for the RWD, don't mess with all seaons.

My setup -
Summer - 19" rims with "summer tires"
Winter - 18" stock rims with blizzak WS70 tires. Tires work great and are leaps and bounds better than any all season I've ever seen. Since the stock 18s are staggered and buying the stock tire size in snow tires will be insanely expensive I recommend doing this:

225/40/18 front tires
225/45/18 rear tires (rather than the 255/40/18s - stock size), this will save you a lot of money.

... also you don't need tire pressure sensors, but if you don't have them there is an insanely annoying light on your dash and should make sure you check them now and then.

The WS70 Blizzaks I just bought were $725 for all four.... if you can wait til spring you might get a better deal.
Old 12-30-13, 01:53 PM
embolism
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NickTomsyc
I recommend doing this:

225/40/18 front tires
225/45/18 rear tires (rather than the 255/40/18s - stock size), this will save you a lot of money.
but then you can't rotate and I think your speedometer will be off more than if you just went with 225/45/xx or 225/40/xx all around non?
Old 12-30-13, 01:58 PM
NickTomsyc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

but then you can't rotate and I think your speedometer will be off more than if you just went with 225/45/xx or 225/40/xx all around non?
Diameter is .06" difference... there is no difference on the speedo. If you did 225/40 all around the stretch on the rear would mean you lose a significant amount of height and effect the speedo / ride.... going from a 40 to a 45 on the rear means you keep the same (.06" diff) diameter.

... also you can't rotate anyway since the rims are staggard (left right is still okay) but front back can't happen
Old 01-01-14, 12:29 PM
P128sniper
Pole Position

Anyone recommend the Nokian r2 winter tires? I heard those are really good. Also what do I have to look for when buying the rims. I just a set of 17 inch steel wheels for winter.. Can anyone post a link to some that would fit the is350, also is all I look for that it has to be 17 in so that tires and rims match or is there another number I look at?
Old 01-02-14, 02:16 PM
embolism
Lead Lap

I got my 17 inch OEM rims from CL. They came off a 250. I've seen steelies on x50's but not sure about the 350 front calipers. One place I called said steelies wouldn't clear so I just went with what I knew would work.

if you want to be able to rotate, then get 4 wheels that are the same size and run 4 225/45/17's

technically you can go as narrow as 205 (contact patch will be smaller though and it's a heavy car) but not sure what height you would need then. You want to be as close in overall diameter as your stock setup, since that is the diameter the speedometer was calibrated for. It is less important in RWD cars than AWD though.

Last edited by embolism; 01-02-14 at 02:23 PM.
Old 01-27-14, 07:03 AM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Noob Question - not trying to drag this way off topic.:

I live in the North East, and my ISF is strictly a weekend driver, only driven on nice dry days. But I do occasionally drive in very frigid conditions.

Generally speaking, which type tire would perform better (handling/braking) in cold (15-45 degrees), dry conditions? A dedicated summer tire like mine (Potenza RE050A) or an ultra high performance all-season?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Noob winter tires question.