Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Wheels and tire size question

Old 01-26-03, 11:15 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 196 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Wheels and tire size question

This question is directed to the guru on wheels - GS4Will. I hope I have not already asked this question. If I have, please bear with my ignorance in this field.

I need advice on what size wheels and tires (plus offset size) to go on my 99 GS400.

My preference is 19 inch rims with the widest possible tire size that will NOT require any other modification whatsoever ( such as fender rubbing etc, and not bottoming out ) and will still be within camber and alignment specs. I am getting the L-tuned springs/shocks installed on my car within the next week or two, so please keep that in mind.

I would also like a recomendation on wheel manufacturer and tire manufacturer. My preference is as follows:
1. very strong,
2. light weight wheel,
3. 5 spoke style
4. chrome finish, studs and deep dish lip.

I like the Works Equip wheel, but that seems to be fairly pricey and I don't know if it is a very strong and light weight wheel. I don't have any preference for tire manufacturer - whatever you recommend that works best with the wheel is fine with me. The reason why I am concerned about the strength of the wheel is very simple, I don't want to bend the wheel under normal usage, and very light because I want the handling to incrementally improve. As opposed to getting a wheel which looks cool but is heavy. I don't want a heavy weight wheel.

Your advice is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Hameed; 01-26-03 at 11:17 AM.
Old 01-26-03, 02:33 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hameed.....here you go:

1st, wrong section, i will move it to the right forum later..

2. light wt. and 19" do not usually go together...that is why most light wt. racing wheel top out at 18s...

3.work equips are actually quite light for its size. it is due to its "forge" construction, instead of cast.

4. to improve handling as the way you want, i would say stay with 18s.

5. size:

19x8.5/+37 to +45
19x9.5/ same

or 19x9+10 for more aggressive look if you prefer...BUT, this would add slightly more wt to the wheel

look into these sites and tell me what you like:

www.work-wheels.co.jp
www.rayswheels.co.jp
www.river-side.co.jp
www.weds.co.jp
www.speedstar.co.jp

not sure about your budget, HRE are also great wheels, but on the pricier side
Old 01-27-03, 04:48 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Hi William,

Thanks for the info!

I looked around on the sites you mentioned and I am still leaning towards the Works Equip wheels. How much more weight would the 19 inch wheels be compared to the 18 inch wheels of the same rim? Approximately....

I am more biased towards handling rather than looks. Looks are secondary, but are very important too obviously
Old 02-04-03, 04:30 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally posted by GS4Will
Hameed.....here you go:

1st, wrong section, i will move it to the right forum later..

2. light wt. and 19" do not usually go together...that is why most light wt. racing wheel top out at 18s...

3.work equips are actually quite light for its size. it is due to its "forge" construction, instead of cast.

4. to improve handling as the way you want, i would say stay with 18s.

5. size:

19x8.5/+37 to +45
19x9.5/ same

or 19x9+10 for more aggressive look if you prefer...BUT, this would add slightly more wt to the wheel

Please let me know what the price would be for the wheels you have mentioned above for the Works Equip wheels - chrome finish, deep lip - front 19x8.5 and rear 19X10. I am assuming with my current setup of L-tuned shocks/springs I will not have any issues with rubbing or any other problem like that?

What is the maximum tire size that would go with those size wheels? Please let me know so that I can decide what to do.

Thanks for your time! I appreciate it.
Old 02-04-03, 08:47 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no rubbing problem....just need to get the correct offset and disk type(if you decide to get big caliper in the future)

tyres:245/35/19+275/30/19

wheels: ~high $3ks, almost $4k
Old 02-04-03, 08:55 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Thanks!

I will start saving up for this now. Will PM you as soon as I can afford it. Hopefully in a couple of months.