Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Any solution for Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus pulling issue?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-13, 05:58 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by e-man
Quick update. I've got about 1,000 miles on the tires, and the pulling has definitely diminished. I believe it had something to do with the fact that the tires were new and sticky, and the directional tread pattern has a tendency to follow the crowning of road surfaces. I'll report back in another 1,000 miles or so.

e
Glad the pulling is gone on your car.
My tires' pressure has come down from 35 to 32 psi due to cold weather. I will keep them at this pressure. The ride is much softer and quieter. But it comes with a cost, losing a mile or two per gallon.

I looked at the A/S 3. I like the tread pattern. My rims are 17". So loadin index is not an issue.
Probably my next tires when the A/S wears out.

Last edited by chuckGS350; 12-11-13 at 05:37 PM.
Old 12-10-13, 08:19 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckGS350
Glad the pulling is gone on your car.
My tires' pressure has come down from 35 to 32 psi due to cold weather. I will keep them at this pressure. The ride is much softer and quieter. But it comes with a cost, losing a gallon or two per gallon.

I looked at the A/S 3. I like the tread pattern. My rims are 17". So loadin index is not an issue.
Probably my next tires when the A/S wears out.
Chuck -- you're right. The A/S 3s come in your size in either 94V or 94W, and neither is an XL model. You should be good to go (other than the fact that the rubber compound is slightly harder in the A/S 3 than in the A/S Plus, so you might get more road feel).

I checked my pressure tonight and I was down to 31. While the ride was really soft, my gas mileage was definitely down 1-2 mpg. I just inflated them to 35. We'll see if it has a positive effect on the mileage.

e
Old 12-12-13, 06:16 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by e-man
Chuck -- you're right. The A/S 3s come in your size in either 94V or 94W, and neither is an XL model. You should be good to go (other than the fact that the rubber compound is slightly harder in the A/S 3 than in the A/S Plus, so you might get more road feel).

I checked my pressure tonight and I was down to 31. While the ride was really soft, my gas mileage was definitely down 1-2 mpg. I just inflated them to 35. We'll see if it has a positive effect on the mileage.

e
eman, at 32 psi I get more road feel and feel the tires stickier to the road than at 35 psi.
I guess it's good for winter driving. These tires do wear out fast.
Old 01-04-14, 11:17 AM
e-man
Pole Position

Quick update -- I've got 5000 miles on the A/S plus. The pulling is still there, but it's more like an annoying drift to the right. I had the tires rotated yesterday front to back and it made no difference at all. According to my dealer, the next step would be to rotate the tires left to right (which would mean dismounting, remounting and rebalancing). Honestly, I don't think it will make a difference, and I'll just end up throwing more money at an issue that is just an annoyance. The directional pattern of the A/S plus just seems to track every groove or crown in the road. The ride quality is outstanding, the tires are super quiet, and they have handled great in the snow. Maybe I just need to learn to live with it.
Old 01-17-14, 12:55 PM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not visited this sight in over two years and when i saw this thread could not believe Michelin has not resolved this design issue by correcting specs of the tires. They should create a variant with a name like a/s plus L, M.
1). The third generation GS which includes the 2006 GS 430 only has alignment adjustments for toe. That means unless there is damage it is very unlikely it is the car causing drifting.

2). Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus 245/40ZR-18 93Y in some cases causes pull/drift Lexus GS Third Series. In short, Michelin needs to create a version of this tire to compensate for the alignment specs for high performance cars like the GS. Tech talk can be found here: http://en.allexperts.com/q/Tires-235...in-Tires-2.htm. This directly in response to my issue.

3). To fix problem, choose a different tire.

I put Michelin PS 2s on my 2006 GS 430 and have no issues. This tire is amazing and in heavy rain it feels like you have a plow on the front pushing the car down and through. Amazing tire. Those that say you only get 20k or less on them is not true... If you do mostly highway driving and not racing through corners expect 30-40k or more. I put them on at 34k an now have over 70k on my car. I suspect I have another 10k left on them.

See thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/the...-continue.html

Hope this helps.
Old 07-13-21, 12:08 AM
FloridaML
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2006 ML with Michelin Pilot A/S 3+ tires. Tire pull. Who else these days?

2006 ML 109k

I have had the car for 3-4 months and I really like it.

But this damn tire pull.

I have read that this tire has had issues with pulling for a long time.

Anyone else experiencing this issue with these tires? Without?

I am trying to decide how to approach this issue.

I had planned on going to goodyear, asking them to inspect the front end, then check the alignment.

I also came across a way to diagnose a tire pull here on the internet.

Here is a link to it;
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=12

If anyone else has experience, especially recent experience with this issue, I would love a response.
Old 07-13-21, 02:23 PM
e-man
Pole Position

I could be wrong but I thought the tire pull issue was for the A/S Plus, the model that came before the AS3 and AS3+.